Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy at the body shop says that they had to disconnect the battery and the headlight to do some work near the bumper. He said I need the "audio code" to get rid of the message. I don't have an audio code.

Afaik nothing's wrong with the headlight. How do I erase the message?

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
601 Posts
Audio code? Thats for the radio. Your owners manual should explain it to you

·
Registered
260 Posts
Do you mean you need a code to unlock the radio? If the battery is disconnected for long enough, the radio wants a code when powered back on. In my experience though, it doesn’t actually need a code. Just start the vehicle and then press and hold the power button. The message will go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Radio is working as expected. Everything's working except that the message needs to go away

·
Registered
260 Posts
What is the message and where is it located? Your original post gives the impression that the radio needs a code because the battery was disconnected.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Message says "Headlight problem" and it shows up on the display. When I asked the body shop they said that they need the audio code to make the message go away. The guy's not a mechanic so not sure if he knew what he was talking about. He said if we remove the battery and put it back in, the message will be removed but to get everything working including the radio, they'll need the audio code.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Was the message there before you went to the body shop?

·
Super Moderator
1,660 Posts
Could you show photo? Is it still showing you the "Headlight problem" on the MID? or it is just a message on the top of display? If it is latter one, you might just need a computer with OBD connector to reset the message (dealer should able to do it quickly). I don't think that is anything to do with Audio/Radio code to reset that.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It sounds to me like the code is being thrown as a result of disconnecting and reconnecting the headlight. Perhaps power was restored with the headlight disconnected at some point? I suspect you will need to read the codes to figure out what it means. I doubt it has anything to do with an audio/radio code.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could you show photo? Is it still showing you the "Headlight problem" on the MID? or it is just a message on the top of display? If it is latter one, you might just need a computer with OBD connector to reset the message (dealer should able to do it quickly). I don't think that is anything to do with Audio/Radio code to reset that.

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
601 Posts
To me this is saying there is a problem with your lighting system. Have you confirmed the head lights actually are working? You might check fuses for the headlights. Its entirely possible the people that did the work messed up the wiring and thats whats throwing the codes.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You either take it to the dealer or the shop and have them reset it. They have to hook up to the system to reset, i have the same problem as yours when people hit my headlight they have to remove and install and new one and show that message. You can bring it to dealer and have them reset. There's nothing wrong with it. Been there done that.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The body shop needs to first get a clue, then second, buy a scan tool that can read body codes. Its unconscionable that a shop would try to deliver a car with a code and tell you it's your problem. On the other hand (here comes some tough love), when you saw the headlight code and you we're told you needed a radio code to get rid of it...come on, you didn't question that?

When our MDX was in the shop after a crash (since sold) it took an extra 2 days for them to sort out all the codes. It is the shops duty to return to you a car in proper order.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What a terrible body shop. They SHOULD perform a complete light check prior to returning the vehicle to you. Shame on them.
There is no code needed to solve this problem. A scan tool might give you some information but it would have to be a pretty sophisticated one, so not Auto-Zone.

Removing and installing headlights is a normal occurrence in what we do. There are standard operating procedures associated with the process.
The most likely problem is one of the plugs is either not plugged in or not plugged in all the way. (it happens a lot it doesn't always get that last little "click")
One at a time. With everything turned off turn on the 4-way hazard lights. Look at both headlights and make sure everything that should be blinking is blinking. If so, turn them off. Turn the running lights on only. Check them. Turn the headlights on. Check them. Turn the high-beams on. Check them.
Make sure everything on those headlights light up at some point in time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What a terrible body shop. They SHOULD perform a complete light check prior to returning the vehicle to you. Shame on them.
There is no code needed to solve this problem. A scan tool might give you some information but it would have to be a pretty sophisticated one, so not Auto-Zone.

Removing and installing headlights is a normal occurrence in what we do. There are standard operating procedures associated with the process.
The most likely problem is one of the plugs is either not plugged in or not plugged in all the way. (it happens a lot it doesn't always get that last little "click")
One at a time. With everything turned off turn on the 4-way hazard lights. Look at both headlights and make sure everything that should be blinking is blinking. If so, turn them off. Turn the running lights on only. Check them. Turn the headlights on. Check them. Turn the high-beams on. Check them.
Make sure everything on those headlights light up at some point in time.
That's true. When I had body work done the body shop ran a pre and post diagnostic scan to make sure there weren't any codes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The guy at the body shop says that they had to disconnect the battery and the headlight to do some work near the bumper. He said I need the "audio code" to get rid of the message. I don't have an audio code.

Afaik nothing's wrong with the headlight. How do I erase the message?
Just wanted to add a recent experience that was actually related to the Nav/Radio code. We needed help with our "new" 2010 last year and called Acura Tech Support in Torrance, CA. They were surprisingly accommodating and smart and got right to the issue and the solution. Phone (888) 528-7876. 6am - 5pm PST.

·
Super Moderator
135 Posts
My mother in law backed into my parked MDX shortly after I got it, causing minor damage to the front passenger fender. It was repaired, but when the car was returned, it had a similar error concerning the headlight. The shop has to hook up a scan tool and dump all codes. They said that each headlight will set a code when disconnected and they had forgotten to address It.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts