Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 MDX passenger side low beam headlight has gone out. The driver side works fine. I took it to the dealership and they are asking me for $2000 to replace the headlight unit. They insist that it is not the bulb and that the entire unit must be replaced. I have replaced the headlight control unit, ballast, and bulb with one I bought from ebay with no luck. I swapped the working driver side control unit, ballast, and bulb with the one from ebay and it works fine. So i know the part from ebay is not faulty. I swapped the original working control unit, ballast and bulb to the passenger side and it still doesn't work. However, the high beam works after all. I am perplexed. I would think the headlight without the other parts is just a housing but it seems there is more to it than I thought. I really don't want to break my bank for this.
Has anyone had this experience before?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I would think the headlight without the other parts is just a housing
And that would be correct. All of the circuitry and electronics that runs the lights is outside of the housing itself. All of the bulbs should be working outside of the housing.

All you need is a good electrician who is able to diagnose the issue. From the information you provided it looks like there might be a circuit break somewhere on the way. It could be a chewed harness or something along those lines. Find where it's broken and fix the wire(s).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And that would be correct. All of the circuitry and electronics that runs the lights is outside of the housing itself. All of the bulbs should be working outside of the housing.

All you need is a good electrician who is able to diagnose the issue. From the information you provided it looks like there might be a circuit break somewhere on the way. It could be a chewed harness or something along those lines. Find where it's broken and fix the wire(s).
Thank you for your response. I will look for one. Away from the dealership, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts