Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get to the back of the stock head unit in my 2002 base model - any suggestions? (I've searched already!) I'd like some detailed instructions or a link to detailed instructions, if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
MDXNYC

You just stated in your message that you installed the XM Radio. Where did you go for the power and ground wires, did you tap into the amplifier or did you go through the firewall. I too am looking to install the XM radio, however I am having a hard time finding a place to route the power and ground wire. Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just so you know, you DO NOT have to remove the 3 screws to remove the wood panel aroung the stereo head unit. I recently had mine removed by first removing the screws only to find out that you don't have to do this. You can pop off the wood panel by inserting a pick through the vents at the top and releasing 2 clips that hold the panel on. Much easier and less work. The other steps listed in the link are very accurate and easy to perform. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the thread and the information - I will try this either today, tomorrow, or sometime over the weekend (my MDX doesn't even have 200 miles in it, so I feel a little hesiant to 'rip her apart' but I want to install the CD changer as soon as possible.

:cool:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did it - removed the head unit, installed a CD changer under the driver's seat, and put it all back together again!

One note about the removal of the plastic wood - there is no need to remove the three screws at the bottom. Just take a very thin bladed knife and carefully insert it into the wood grain from the top toward the bottom left edge. Once you get under the wood grain it will start to come apart - continue along the edge letting it come loose - no need to force it. Then work your way around the two sides and along the top.

I didn't realize that the vents came out with the trim piece, but once you see that they do, the removal is pretty smooth. Putting it back on is, literally, a snap!

·
Registered
306 Posts
i posted this same question on the hondasuv.com site and got a reply from someone who actually assembles the mdx. It sounds a little rought but works great and is very easy.

All you do to remove the wood grain panel is, while pulling out on the vents, hit the top of the dash on the side you are pulling. You have to hit it pretty good with your fist. Pull on the right vent, then the left. Alternate back and forth and the trim pulls right off. I was shocked how well this worked. Just ease the panel off, undo 3 wiring plugs, remove 6 screws and the head unit comes out. I replace my head unit with an Eclipse 7002 indash screen. Looks great. I hope to have some pics pretty soon.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'll stick with my 'prying carefully' method!

I am interested in your pics when you get a chance....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts