Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was nearly 100% onboard for the 2017 MDX, until I joined this forum. It seems like there are many risks noted on the new transmission and loss of build quality, as well as interior design changes that have me ready to jump ship ( eg, 9 speed trans issues, misaligned body panels, and missing shift knob/ergonomics).

A friend introduced me to the 2016 Mazda cx-9 signature which I was shocked to find very appealing for the quality and look that gave me much of what I was looking for in the 2017 MDX. To top it off I was expecting to see a similar MDX price, but it was $10k lower. This is comparing both top models, Signature vs Advance.

I think the Mazda is lacking in air-conditioned seats and pano roof and some horsepower, however the interior is very comparable. Also, I have no idea of their reliability or track record but was impressed with what I experienced.

In conclusion, we've been Honda/Acura owners for decades because of reliability and quality. If that has changed, as many posts on here claim, it's hard to pay the extra money for a brand name.

I want to be convinced I wrong, please help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am a long time Acura owner.....was intrigued with the Hyundai Santa Fe 10 year, 100K mile warranty. I went and drove it and quickly remembered why I like the MDX. Even though it had a ton of bells and whistles, good horsepower and great gas mileage I just couldnt do it. I literally rather drive a used MDX then a brand new Hyundai. The displacement was weird, the acceleration was sluggish and it wasnt quite as luxurious.
Now I cant speak for the Mazda BUT did you drive it yet? My husband is a master Acura tech and he laughed at me when I said I went and drove the Hyundai. He kinda feels the same about a Mazda. They are nice fresh of the lot brand new but what about in 10 years?
If you havnt driven the Mazda, go drive it, It might be the deciding factor.
Lastly.....isnt this the first year of the new CX5? As a general rule its always a awful idea to buy the first year in a new release. they've still got kinks to work out

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
This has been discussed before..
Mazda = GREAT VALUE! Excellent Build Quality. / Boring Drive and Lower Spirited driving power, Inferior AWD System.
Acura = GREAT DURABILITY! Excellent Driving Dynamics. / Bad quality control as in panel placements and interior rattles, More Expensive.

So choose what-ever you feel more comfortably with.
I personally will just Lease a Q7 Instead, since the ZF Trans is such a letdown in the MDX and I don´t like the current Mazda Design Choices.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts