Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
So here's an interesting scenario and I wonder if anyone has encountered this before.

Last weekend I took my X through one of those touchless car washes where the roller pushes your car through and 'stuff' washes the car. I entered the car wash and right after the soap spray and before the wash cloth strips, the car wash shut down. The car wash guy came running and told me to take my foot off the brake :confused: which I did not have. So he restarted the car wash and my X continued its ride through. The only problem was that the car never got washed since the wash went into some kind of 'overdrive' mode and just pushed me and my X through (without the water spray etc). So needless to say I went back into the line for another car wash. Explained the situation to the attendant and he let my car through again.

So for the second time the same thing happened. The thing shut down again right after the soap and this time the guy came and said that he's not gonna let me through again if my car does not complete the wash cycle this time. Thankfully the water jets came on and the X was cleaned, but I was left bewildered as to why the shutdown happened.

This was my 2nd time at the car wash, and I remember that this same thing happened the first time I took my X to the car wash a couple of weeks ago.

So my question is, has anyone else experienced this ? Could there be some kind of transmission thing going on in the X, that it does not let an external entity push the vehicle on Neutral ? I am really confused and am wondering what to do ? The manual says that you should always tow the vehicle on a flatbed truck and not pull it behind. Could something be wrong with my X ?

These questions may be a little silly, but I just want to make sure that everything is OK, and also try and figure out how to get the thing washed....I'm not that tall and so washing the top is really tough for me :(

Thanks All !

·
Registered
699 Posts
Bizarre.

Stupid questions time:
  1. Did you really have the parking brake off?
  2. Did you really have your foot off the "regular" brake?
  3. Did you really have the transmission in neutral?
    [/list=1] I'm sure the answer to all these questions must be "yes,", but let's just be explicit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES !

Yes to all three questions....

I have been going to the same car wash with my other car for about 4 yrs now and never faced any problem.

And the second time around I made sure that I was nowhere close to the brake and the hand brake was not on !

If it were not on Neutral the X could not have gone thru the soap wash cycle....

Really Wierd !!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
No problems here

I take my X thru the touch-less wash a least once or twice a month and have never had a problem. However, I had the exact same thing happen with my wife's Mercury Sable. In that case we determined that the left front tire on her car was catching in a "track" connection and binding. On the second trip thru, it punctured the tire sidewall/tread edge, ruining the tire. (Note: The car wash paid for replacing the tire on the spot + installed my spare.) Turned out the track had become slightly mis-aligned.

I would check your left side tires for any obvious scrape or pinch marks that would indicate a similar condition. Since then, I have tended to provide a little steering "assist" when going thu the car wash to keep the front wheels straight (less likely to catch on joints).

Good luck

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
the second time the same thing happened. The thing shut down again right after the soap

I wonder if this relates to the "dinghy towing" procedure? You must go through a very specific set of shifting steps if you want to tow an X behind a motor home. The service manual speaks of severe consequences if you don't. like ruination and brimstone.
Being towed by a car wash may have the same effect on the transmission as being towed by a motor yacht.
Check out the owners manual on this issue and see if it sounds familiar-
And please hurry, because I was thinking about bring my X to a car wash this weekend!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Whoa...

...what the...:confused: :confused: :confused:

That was a weird incident if I may say so myself! :1:

Err...go back there again! Tell us what happens! LOL :p

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I knew I saw it somewhere. This is copied from the Acura Ownerlink site. If you stopped in line at the car wash, and put your X in Park after entering, then Neutral, you would have committed the grevious sin described here:

After attaching the tow bar to your motorhome, do the following to prepare your MDX for flat towing:

Automatic Transmission
When preparing to tow your MDX, make sure the transmission is full of fluid. Maintaining the correct level is very important. Do not overfill.

Do the following every day immediately before you begin towing. Follow the procedure exactly. Otherwise, severe automatic transmission damage will occur.
Start the engine
Press on the brake pedal. Shift the lever through all the positions (P,R,N,D,2,1).
Shift to D, then to N. Let the engine run for at least three minutes, then turn off the engine.
Release the parking brake.
Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY (I) so the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.

If you travel more than 8 hours in one day (including stopping time), you must stop and repeat the above procedure.

Notice
The steering system can be damaged if the steering wheel is locked. Leave the ignition switch in the ACCESSORY (I) position, and make sure the steering wheel turns freely before you begin towing.

Improper towing preparation will damage the transmission. Follow the above procedure exactly. If you cannot shift the transmission or start the engine, your vehicle must be transported on a flatbed truck or trailer.

SEVERE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DAMAGE WILL OCCUR IF THE CAR IS SHIFTED FROM REVERSE TO NEUTRAL AND THEN TOWED WITH THE DRIVE WHEELS ON THE GROUND.

If you tow an Acura MDX with automatic transmission, the transmission fluid must be changed every two years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
shootist said:
I knew I saw it somewhere. This is copied from the Acura Ownerlink site. If you stopped in line at the car wash, and put your X in Park after entering, then Neutral, you would have committed the grevious sin described here:

After attaching the tow bar to your motorhome, do the following to prepare your MDX for flat towing:

Automatic Transmission
When preparing to tow your MDX, make sure the transmission is full of fluid. Maintaining the correct level is very important. Do not overfill.

Do the following every day immediately before you begin towing. Follow the procedure exactly. Otherwise, severe automatic transmission damage will occur.
Start the engine
Press on the brake pedal. Shift the lever through all the positions (P,R,N,D,2,1).
Shift to D, then to N. Let the engine run for at least three minutes, then turn off the engine.
Release the parking brake.
Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY (I) so the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.

If you travel more than 8 hours in one day (including stopping time), you must stop and repeat the above procedure.

Notice
The steering system can be damaged if the steering wheel is locked. Leave the ignition switch in the ACCESSORY (I) position, and make sure the steering wheel turns freely before you begin towing.

Improper towing preparation will damage the transmission. Follow the above procedure exactly. If you cannot shift the transmission or start the engine, your vehicle must be transported on a flatbed truck or trailer.

SEVERE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DAMAGE WILL OCCUR IF THE CAR IS SHIFTED FROM REVERSE TO NEUTRAL AND THEN TOWED WITH THE DRIVE WHEELS ON THE GROUND.

If you tow an Acura MDX with automatic transmission, the transmission fluid must be changed every two years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Unbelivable, I always say "Truth is stranger than fiction", hard to believe that they would actually put this in writing. I would love to know the engineer who designed this.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would think that this procedure applies when towing the X over a long distance and/or at a speed over 5mph. I have had the exact same thing happen to my Grand Cherokee at one of my local washes on 4 different occasions. The attendant said that the tires were grabbing on one side and he asked me to turn the steering slightly to the left followed by slightly to the right continuously and at a fast rate until I was out. I have taken my X through the same wash twice now without doing the left/right procedure and no problem. I should also add that my Grand Cherokee has never had this problem at any of the other washes I have taken it to. I think this is a problem with the particular wash you went to and would try another wash. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts