Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Has the demand fallen for MDX or what?

4K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  JimH 
#1 ·
I was @ my dealers here in NOVA last evening to pick up VTM fluid and I noticed a whole bunch of brand new '04 MDXs on display and in the lot. This is something I have never seen before. Last year, I waited for almost three months for my X but now it looks like one can just walk in and drive out an X! .:hmmm:
The dealer also had many brand new TLs in the lot

#3 ·
Yeap, it looks like it did. When I was looking for my X, every dealer I called had at least 4-5 in stock. I think it is because of new luxury SUVs available.

For 2001, the first year of X, the choice was nowhere like today.
For 2004, there are lots of choices - better X5, X3, nicer RX330, GX, Volvo XC, VW Touareg, Porsche Cayenne, Cadillac SRX, Infiniti FX, etc.

And this trend is going to continue with new Hybrid RX, new ML, bew Audi SUV, etc.

This said, it is still the best SUV - IMHO. ;)

#4 ·
When I was at the dealer this week getting the new chrome wheels installed they had at least 10 on the lot. But they don't have NAVI. They can't keep one on the lot that has a NAVI. And here in Texas the white ones go fast. They had 1 white but the most Redrocks I've seen in a row! :eek:

#7 ·
Interesting news, but not surprising.

With more and more MDX's available, the resale value will drop precipitously.

One of the main reasons I lease!

#8 ·
MDroX

What dealer in N VA are you refering to? I'm in the market for the new TL and when they first came out the dealers wanted MSRP. I decided to wait to see if the price would go down. If they have some on the lot maybe I can get one now for under MSRP.

That will be a nice Mothers Day present for the wife.:D :D :D :D

#11 ·
papawoolf said:
MDroX

What dealer in N VA are you refering to? I'm in the market for the new TL and when they first came out the dealers wanted MSRP. I decided to wait to see if the price would go down. If they have some on the lot maybe I can get one now for under MSRP.

POHANKA Acura in Chantilly on Route 50.

#12 ·
Demand is Still Growing, But Demand Growth is Slowing

This is nothing unusual. MDX sales are increasing, but at a declining rate. Supply has obviously increased as well. It will naturally mean better deals as the current generation hits the twilight time of its model cycle.

2003: 57,281 MDX's sold, up 8.2% over 2002
2002: 52,955 MDX's sold, up 29.3% over 2001

Production capacity doesn't appear to be the issue, as deals have significantly improved and reports of unsold MDX's abound. This will obviously vary significant across the country.

The statistic we're missing is the average length of time the vehicle spends on the lot. But veterans of this system will remember when long waits were the norm, and this simply isn't so anymore.

The MDX has had a great run, but that run is ending in the inevitable lifecycle of automotive change. Acura will be challenged to have the next-gen MDX do as well.

#13 ·
I can't speak for all car dealers nationwide, but from the one's I've done business with sales for most everything (all nameplates) is down the tubes the past few months. You know it's bad when Honda has to resort to 0% financing. I think that'll all change with the Spring coming. Hope so.

Maybe it's a really good time to negotiate a price with a starving dealer right now. Just don't hope for too much on your used car.

#14 ·
MDX supply...

My dealer (East Brunswick NJ) had a few on the lot, but NONE with NAV or NAV/DVD.
You can find base MDX's, but the loaded ones are still in high demand....and rightly so.....they are awesome..............2 weeks until my loaded BLUE baby comes in.............

#15 ·
papawoolf said:
MDroX

Papawoolf,

You need to look outside the DC area for a TL under MSRP. I ordered mine (Red/6mt/Navi) from a NJ dealer for over 2k under MSRP. They get alot of customers from this area who are willing to drive (or Amtrak) 3 hours.

#16 ·
Supply of 04 MDXs

When I bought mine in late Jan of this year, the dealer (Los Gatos Acura) had about 10 MDXs on the lot, almost all with Nav, RES, or both. When I was back there a week ago for some accessory work, they had a good dozen or so, with only two being the base model. So there's definitely no shortage in the Silicon Valley area...maybe because of how bad the local economy has been doing for a few years, in addition to all the luxury SUV competition mentioned earlier.

#17 ·
That's odd because I test drove an MDX last night at Pohanka of Chantilly and they only had 4 MDXs on the lot (1 was the demo). When I was working prices with them, they would barely budge off of MSRP. I'd sure like to know where you guys are getting deals in Northern VA.

#19 ·
MDX Availability/Pricing

Hopeitsfriday...When I bought my '04 MDX in Jan here in Silicon Valley (San Jose area), I got the better part of $2K off the sticker...I gotta believe it's due to the relatively large inventory the dealer was (and still is) carrying of MDXs.

#21 ·
beir,

Unfortunately, I do not live close to your area, but I would look in Acura.com and find all the Acura dealers in your area, and try calling their Internet manager. Usually, the Internet manager will give you a better deal and they can save you a trip to the dealers that are far away.

#22 ·
Well One of the dealers in NC told me that the reason they have MDX in stock is because the factory where the MDX is produced is being shut down for a couple of months for whatever reason. So they have been working overtime before the shutdown to churn out as many MDX as possible whcih the dealers would need for the next couple of months. The dealer in NC had 7 MDX in December.

#24 ·
radwar said:
Well One of the dealers in NC told me that the reason they have MDX in stock is because the factory where the MDX is produced is being shut down for a couple of months for whatever reason. So they have been working overtime before the shutdown to churn out as many MDX as possible whcih the dealers would need for the next couple of months.
While I have not tried to verify what this dealer said, I find that very difficult to believe. Months? Just out of curiosity, call Acura or one of their reputable dealerships.

Some dealers say some strange things -- like the one in NJ who faxed me that "Taffeta White is no longer available, Acura is currently only producing this MDX in Aspen White Pearl."

Acura was very surprised to hear of this, as were other dealers I contacted!

(I now have a Taffeta White on order with another dealership that is much more honest and reputable, in addition to offering a much better price.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.