Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer is saying the Acura tow hitch wont mount up on the 17 Hybrid because the electric motors are in the way...
Has anyone put a hitch on their Hybrid to haul a bike rack? How did you do it?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
We need someone to take a picture of the underside so that we can tell. I might have time to go to the dealer later and check.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Better get consent first. :surprise:

There is a different exhaust for hybrid, probably cuz the hybrid stuff interferes with placement of the standard exhaust. It looks like the hybrid exhaust has dual mufflers mounted high in the rear corners, so those might interfere. Dunno.

BTW, in another thread I mentioned a possible difference in rear bumper trim, but now I think that's just a matter of body-color vs black, not different shape.

But someone really needs to get a look under there. Politely. :grin:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Attached are photos of my 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid. Looks like the mounts are there for the hitch, without having the hitch in front of me its hard to tell but it looks like it would clear the muffler. Spare tire was not included, I ordered parts on line, winch, lug wrench, wheel and tire, all under $200, less then 15 minutes to install.
The motors are internal in the differential, it in now way physically interferes with a hitch mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Why doesn't Acura include a spare for the hybrid version? Cost cutting? When I imagine a long trip somewhere far from home - I want a spare. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can get a spare from the parts department but the cost is out of control, $570!!! I wrote Acura about it and said it was a big mistake to leave it off as they put it on all other 2017 MDX units except the front wheel drive version, where it is a lower cost option.
I ordered my parts on line for a lot less, under $200 and a 15 min install. Probably think we don't want that anymore then a hitch to mount a bike rack on. They are out of touch with their customer base.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Hmm pictures look promising but i can't see a wide enough view to really tell if something is blocking.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
wwhale could you picture the differential unit in the rear? I am curious about the size difference between the Mechanical SH-AWD and the Hybrid Solution.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Woah the unit is way bigger and from the looks of it, they used proper sized CVs in the rear not like our puny little CR-V like shafts in SH-AWD 2.0 and 3.0..

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did additional photos that should answer all your questions: you can see that the mufflers do not interfere with the hitch mounts,
the differential and motors are all in front of the cross member and have no impact on the hitch mount, I also show the differential and rear motor housing. I trust that this clarifies this for everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
wwhale, where did you get your spare tire, tirerack? I ordered the spare tire kit online and now need the tire itself since kit only came with the 17" rim. I see that they have a Kuhmo for around $75. But also saw someone else had bought a Goodyear variant for about same price but not sure of the size.

You can get a spare from the parts department but the cost is out of control, $570!!! I wrote Acura about it and said it was a big mistake to leave it off as they put it on all other 2017 MDX units except the front wheel drive version, where it is a lower cost option.
I ordered my parts on line for a lot less, under $200 and a 15 min install. Probably think we don't want that anymore then a hitch to mount a bike rack on. They are out of touch with their customer base.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tire Rack, The Kumo is a little larger diameter and more closely matched the OD on the 20 inch Continentals.
The 20 inch wheels have 22mm lug nuts which are larger then the 18 inch wheels so be sure if you get wheel locks to think about that.
The wrench that comes with the spare tire kit that I got was for the smaller lug nut, had to order the correct one to fit the 20 inch lug nuts.
Also be sure that if you have 20 inch wheels you get the right wheel for the spare, the 18 has a smaller bolt pattern and won't fit, I learned the hard way!
In the end I used these folks, they were very easy to deal with:
OEMAcuraPart | Acura Parts | OEM Acura Parts | Factory Acura Parts

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/

Welcome to the OEM Honda/Acura parts and accessories division of Acura of Peoria near Phoenix, Arizona. OEMAcuraparts.com is a leading supplier of OEM ..

·
Registered
869 Posts
MDXs have gone back and forth between 5x120mm bolt pattern and 5x114mm, so you have to be careful.

For 3rd gen, 2014-2016 are 5x114mm and 2017 is 5x120mm. 1st gen were 5x114mm, and AFAIK 2nd gen were 5x120mm ( or at least some years of 2nd gen ). 2nd and 3rd gen Pilots are 5x120mm.

There is similar silliness in other Honda/Acura lines, just to keep things interesting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Attached are photos of my 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid. Looks like the mounts are there for the hitch, without having the hitch in front of me its hard to tell but it looks like it would clear the muffler. Spare tire was not included, I ordered parts on line, winch, lug wrench, wheel and tire, all under $200, less then 15 minutes to install.
The motors are internal in the differential, it in now way physically interferes with a hitch mount.
Do you know what size bolts are used to hang the spare tire hoist? I purchased the hoist, but of course it didn't come with the bolts..

·
Registered
49 Posts
My hoist came with the bolts, sorry I did not note the size. I got mine from the Acura dealer in Peoria AZ, the guy that manages the on line ordering is very helpful, you could call him and he would probably know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did additional photos that should answer all your questions: you can see that the mufflers do not interfere with the hitch mounts,
the differential and motors are all in front of the cross member and have no impact on the hitch mount, I also show the differential and rear motor housing. I trust that this clarifies this for everyone.

Wwhale.... I just picked a 2020 sports hybrid. Any luck on adding a hitch? I too just want to attach a bike rack.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have read where many have mounted the factory hitch so they can use a bike rack. Some dealers even have indicated the are okay as long as a trailer is never towed. The factory hitch will fit, easy bolt on but it might be a bit heavy to hold up while attaching without some assistance from another person or support jacks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts