Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a deposit on one that should come off the line July 1. Just looking for impressions after driving a few hundred or a couple K....This is replacing a 2010 Tech....looking forward to the improved mileage in the hybrid. I'll be going from (real world) 16/21 to 26/27....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi tsd345, I have in all probability, one of the first, or the actual first Hybrid in the DC area. I have over 1000 miles on my hybrid and so far, aside from the Navi issues(user friendly), I love this vehicle. The vehicle is smoother, stronger acceleration, gets much better city mileage, and is a marked improvement over my 2014.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I'm waiting to make sure it is A-OK just to add a rear hitch for 4-bike carrier or StowAway2 Max swing out cargo carrier and it won't void the hybrid warranty.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
That No-Tow rating on the hybrid is a real bummer... I need to Tow my side by side and now knowing that the Hybrid has a No-Tow rating I had to change my plans on getting one...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Picked up a Hybrid Advance last week. 1300 miles on it so far, 25 to 27 on highway at 75, up to 33 on country roads at 45 to 55, this in comfort mode which seems to give best gas mileage. I have a 22 mile drive I do most days at 45 to 55 and up to 28% of it is EV and almost always over 30 mpg. Great car but doesn't match my 2014 Audi A6 TDI for economy but still the best SUV I tested.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been a while since I peeked this thread but thanks folks for the info. It's as I suspected. As for towing, I never had an intention to tow with my 2010 so it was never an issue. It wouldn't surprise me if Honda never gave the OK for a hitch mounted bike carrier. And for the consumer side, once the hitch is on, how would you prove you never used it for a trailer in the event of a warranty claim?

Want to tow with an MDX? There will be a pearl black/parchment 2010 SH-AWD Tech for sale at the dealership in Groton CT in a few weeks. Under 75K mi. and dealership maintained. The 6-speed has got to be better than the abomination trans in the newer non-hybrids. :wink:

·
Registered
208 Posts
So Far So Good

We only have 400 miles on ours and it is not my main vehicle but from my experience, it is a very smooth quiet ride. You cannot tell that it is a hybrid as there is no clear indication of when the engine start/stops or when the power distribution moves around to all 4 tires.

@ 1st the MDX was only getting like 22 mpg but lately it is starting to get in the 26 mpg range in mixed driving; hopefully this will improve after the engine breaks in. The salesman set it in Sport mode and I only recently noticed & set it back to Comfort mode which to my understanding means the mileage should improve some.

We have no need for towing, so not an issue.

For $1,500 more, I think that they hybrid is a good buy. Inventory is building across the country and dealerships are more readily discounting so it is a good time to shop.

·
Registered
231 Posts
We just picked one up yesterday from central VA and I drove it home 80 miles through mostly highway and stretches of 2 lane roads. It was a wonderful drive and transitioning between engine to electric or both is totally seamless not noticeable.
Though inventories are not that extremely high, they are definitely dealing. If you add the $579 processing fee, I'd say I got about $4800 off MSRP plus I got all season mats, cargo mat and splash guards included.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
looking forward to the improved mileage in the hybrid
Just to get objective on this point I did some calcs -

Non-hybrid overall mpg - 22
Hybrid overall mpg - 27

Note that the hwy mileage is the same between the two so if one does mostly hwy driving the difference between the two will be less.

- Average miles drive per year - 12,000 miles
- Assume gas is $3/gal (USA) (a high estimate for people not being raked over the coals as in California)
- At 22 mpg - 545 gallons of gas used
- At 27 mpg - 444 gallons of gas used
- Difference in gallons used - about 100 gallons
- At $3/gal this amounts to about a $300 savings per year for the hybrid

--> Assuming the hybrid is $1500 more than the non-hybrid, it would take 5 years to even out and hit the return on investment

I keep my vehicles over 5 years so the fuel math at least would work in my favor but it seems many posters here churn their vehicles or lease their vehicles, and don't keep them 5 years in which case the fuel math works against them and they'll never recoup the added cost.

For people like me who keep a vehicle longer there's always the concern over the new expensive technology in potential added cost down the road for failures in the areas related to the hybrid portions. This could easily blow out any fuel savings. This could perhaps be mitigated by getting an extended warranty, something I never get because they're overpriced, but that would add additional cost just due to worry about the components.

On top of that, there's no towing with the hybrid. This won't affect everyone and for some towing one could just rent a truck but that won't work for people who decide to get a boat, camper, or other toy later they'd want to use the MDX for.

My main point - before choosing the hybrid MDX primarily for the fuel savings, look at the whole picture and do the math - the return on investment for the added cost might not be worth it.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Just to get objective on this point I did some calcs -

Non-hybrid overall mpg - 22
Hybrid overall mpg - 27

Note that the hwy mileage is the same between the two so if one does mostly hwy driving the difference between the two will be less.

- Average miles drive per year - 12,000 miles
- Assume gas is $3/gal (USA) (a high estimate for people not being raked over the coals as in California)
- At 22 mpg - 545 gallons of gas used
- At 27 mpg - 444 gallons of gas used
- Difference in gallons used - about 100 gallons
- At $3/gal this amounts to about a $300 savings per year for the hybrid

--> Assuming the hybrid is $1500 more than the non-hybrid, it would take 5 years to even out and hit the return on investment

I keep my vehicles over 5 years so the fuel math at least would work in my favor but it seems many posters here churn their vehicles or lease their vehicles, and don't keep them 5 years in which case the fuel math works against them and they'll never recoup the added cost.

For people like me who keep a vehicle longer there's always the concern over the new expensive technology in potential added cost down the road for failures in the areas related to the hybrid portions. This could easily blow out any fuel savings. This could perhaps be mitigated by getting an extended warranty, something I never get because they're overpriced, but that would add additional cost just due to worry about the components.

On top of that, there's no towing with the hybrid. This won't affect everyone and for some towing one could just rent a truck but that won't work for people who decide to get a boat, camper, or other toy later they'd want to use the MDX for.

My main point - before choosing the hybrid MDX primarily for the fuel savings, look at the whole picture and do the math - the return on investment for the added cost might not be worth it.
I agree with your point, and payback is currently worse than 5 years. The $1,500 price difference is in MSRP. Dealers are currently discounting the non-hybrid much more than the hybrid, plus with a lease, there is $1,000 dealer lease money on the non-hybrid Tech and Advance models ($750 on base model), and the money factor is less on the non-hybrid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.