Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried off brand tires? Brands like: GISLAVED , BARUM , FORCEUM , LEXANI , THUNDERER , ZEETEX , LEAO, MAXXIS , MILESTAR , NANKANG

Was wondering what the experience was with these tire brands. Obviously these are cheaper than Michelins, Goodyear, etc. Im sure you get what you pay for, but just wondering.

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
i think gislaved is a mainstream brand... Nanking makes a cheap performance tire that I see some weekend racers say performs great for the selling price. I think consumer reports did a review a few years back of off brand tires and very few performed well, scoring below the worst of the mainstream brands tested At the time.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Having spent time in the tire biz I would avoid them for any car you intend to keep. In many cases you can get a more entry level name brand tire with much better quality for not that much more. Now if you are getting it ready to sell and the tires are pretty bad a cheap set is the way to go.

Reactions: AcuraAddicted

·
Registered
13 Posts
Think about this. If you are going 80 mph in a 5000 lb vehicle, the only 4 points that contact you with the road (and control) are your tires. Is this the place to take chances? Not for me. I think they are the most important part of the car but that's me!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Off brand tires are usually pretty crappy. For some you can't even balance them right, so you'll always have vibration at 60 mph and up no matter what.

A completely worthless investment in my opinion. You are investing into the next 5-7 years. So even saving $400-500 on a tire set basically means saving $100 annually, or $9 monthly, which is completely negligible when it comes to confidence and safety on the road.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I purchased my x, it came with off brand, I totally forgot the name. It was so horrible that even I did the alignment, outer front tires wore out very quick. Usually, I always had brand name tires like Michelin, Goodyear and Yokohama. However, I did purchase a set of Sentury, America’s tire house brand, according to the rep. I used them for my road trip 4000 mi in June from CA to Montana and back. I was satisfied with them. No wear observed on the outer like the no name brand, and I think it cost about $85 per tire.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Would you consider Vredestein off-brand? They are considerably less expensive than top tier but get good reviews.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Would you consider Vredestein off-brand? They are considerably less expensive than top tier but get good reviews.
No, I wouldn't. I have the benefit of being old enough to remember when Michelin was a "cheap" imported tire. Vredestein is simply a European manufacturer trying to expand their brand into the global market. Whether they pull off the Michelin path to premium brand or not remains to be seen, but they are a quality manufacturer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks , I figured it's not the place to save money . I will shop for best deal on the regular name brands

·
Registered
985 Posts
Thanks , I figured it's not the place to save money . I will shop for best deal on the regular name brands
Keep in mind that many flagship brands have secondary brands that are nearly as good as the flagship without the price. You don't have to buy top tier to get a quality tire.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Keep in mind that many flagship brands have secondary brands that are nearly as good as the flagship without the price. You don't have to buy top tier to get a quality tire.
This is true as great brands such a cooper, general, etc exist and are made by larger companies.

If you drive with your family spend the extra money on name brand as an extra foot or two in stopping distance can be the difference between severe injury and walking away with scratches. Driving in the rain and hydroplaning on cheap tires is not something I would wish on anyone.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Here in México they are common.. The general knowledge is to better buy returned brand name tires instead which is a huge market here in México, You can buy a full set of almost new (+95% wear) Michelin Tour HPs for 200 bucks... I personally have bought a set myself and they perform just as good as new.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I bought Hankook from pep boys for my X when the Michelins wore off and they were almost 2/3rd the price of Michelin including a warranty, they have done their duty very well in last 4 years.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I bought Hankook from pep boys for my X when the Michelins wore off and they were almost 2/3rd the price of Michelin including a warranty, they have done their duty very well in last 4 years.
I wouldn't consider Hankook as off-brand given they are used for some really high-end cars. I had Hankook winter tires for 5 years and they performed really well, albeit being a little noisy (understandable given how huge the threads were), but extremely soft and providing very good control.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I second that point about buying good tires, I would not skimp on good quality tires.
It does not have to be Michelin but well known brand with good reputation.
A friend of mine was using cheap tire on his minivan and left rear tier blew at 60 MPH.
The van lost control and luckily it did not flip or hit anything but circled it 3 times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone ever tried off brand tires? Brands like: GISLAVED , BARUM , FORCEUM , LEXANI , THUNDERER , ZEETEX , LEAO, MAXXIS , MILESTAR , NANKANG

Was wondering what the experience was with these tire brands. Obviously these are cheaper than Michelins, Goodyear, etc. Im sure you get what you pay for, but just wondering.

Thanks!
I'm running WestLake from Discount Tire. I actually am perfectly happy with them. I do typically buy oversized, lower price tires. I drive the car pretty hard. More expensive softer compound tires often wear the shoulders faster, and flat-spot too quickly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm running WestLake from Discount Tire. I actually am perfectly happy with them. I do typically buy oversized, lower price tires. I drive the car pretty hard. More expensive softer compound tires often wear the shoulders faster, and flat-spot too quickly.
discount tire also sells nankang, so maybe these two companies arent that "cheap" if discount tire carries them

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had excellent performance with Nankangs. The original tires on my 2010 MDX were Michelin Latitudes, they lasted about 50,000 miles, and were great, too. I replaced those tires in 2015 with Nankang SP-5s, which lasted about 45,000 miles, no problems, smooth and quiet. Those were $125 each at a local discount tire store.

Guess what I replaced them with? Nankang SP-9s, which are on my vehicle now. Here's the kicker: $94.91 each on Amazon with free delivery to the shop of your choice for installation. I chose a local Sears Auto who mounted and balanced them for $15 per wheel. Unbelievable. They're great tires, ride smooth and quiet.

These are V-rated tires: 255/55R18-109V with a Uniform Tire Quality Grade Rating of 560AA. How the hell can you beat that for $95?

Don't fall for all the marketing hype. Do your homework, and don't get ripped off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Y’all must have smoother roads. I’ve never gotten more than 30k on any tire.—even when properly rotated. They skim re-coat our roads with rocks and tar substance and it is like sandpaper.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nankang of Taiwan is probably a mid quality tire. I would put Kumho and Hankook of Korea in same category. I am sure that some Chinese company is producing OEM tires for the large auto manufacturers but I have not been able to get useful information.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts