Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
326 Posts
Wow, I'm glad I saw this thread. I was contemplating getting wider tires for my 6.5" OEM rims, but now I think I'll just stick with my 235/65-R17 tires since I want to be able to easily install cable chains on my tires for when I go skiing.

So, it seems that if I do want wider tires, I need to get new rims. The next question is what wider tire and rim sizes will be compatible with the odometer, speedometer and navigation systems? I don't want to throw off the odometer, speedometer and navigation systems by putting the wrong circumference tires on my rig.

· Registered
326 Posts
MDX Moto said:
Why would you put cable chains on your MDX in the first place? If the four wheel drive can't get you out its A) icy in the first place and you should wait till the roads have been salted,sanded,etc. B) you can't drive over a certain speed with chains on any way so why not use the VTM lock and get home slowly and safely C) if the weather is that bad where you live that you need 4 wheel drive plus traction devices you should be running studs. D) even the worst winter storms most highway patrols will let you pass with 4 wheel drive plus snow tires. I have never seen a 4X4 requirement +chains. if the weather is that bad you probably don't need to go where your headed.
. . . .
I agree, MDX Moto. However, mikerorick said in this thread

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10628

that the "Washington State Patrol . . . says I gotta have chains in the car, even though not on the tires, to be legal on the pass during this bad storm yesterday and today."

What's up with that? :rolleyes:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.