Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,118 Posts
Mich mileage

Just replaced my cross terrains...only got 30k.

I could have squeezed another 4k out, but we take it in the snow... dry weather it would be OK, rain marginal.

My wife drives it (extensively!) and mostly local chip-sealed roads. Perhaps 20% was on highway, the rest local. Concrete is MUCH friendlier than gravel chip.

I looked at upsizing, but the rims are too small. Although bigger tires may fit, the distortion of the tire can lead to problems, plus dynamic stability is reduced with a wide tire on small rims.

Given the overall performance (engine, suspension, COG), I'm not convinced the change for a larger tread is worth it. (Other than the look serving to justify calling this suv a 'truck')...

Ard

PS Just went from a 215/65 V15 on a 6.5" to a 245/50 V16 on a 7.5" on my Q45...THAT made a huge difference.

· Registered
1,118 Posts
Ikram MDX said:
I have recently put wider tires on the stock 17"x6.5" wheels for my MDX. The size I have used is 255/60-17. The MDX not only looks better with the wider wheels but also drives better. I have used the Continental brand tire, model 4x4 Contact. I purchased them from Tirerack for $62 a piece. The rating in the tire is Traction A and Temperature A. The tread pattern is decent also. The MDX handles better with the Continentals compared to the stock Goodyear Integrity. I am not suer how the performance would be if compared to the Michelins which go on the Touring. I guess for the price at $62 a piece these tires are well worth the money. I have also come to find out that the Continental 4x4 Contact size 255/60-17 which I have used are also the OEM tire and size which is now on the new Mercedes ML350.
I'd venture the opinion that the tires are dangerously oversized for the rims- the section width is 10.3 inches for your tire, and the rim is only 6.5!....stock section width is 9 inches.

Increases the tendancy for the tire to roll with emergeny handling.

Tirerack is more than happy to sell dangerous tires to anyone- they don't install so they have no liability...

· Registered
1,118 Posts
DaleB said:

Further llability translates to more gov regulation, something we don't need.
Sounds good, but is it true?

How does simple LEGAL LIABILITY "translate" to more regulations???

Let's split a hair: why would tirerack have no responsibility if they sell an unsafe size, yet a company that sells AND INSTALLS the tire has liability? My belief is that both have liability unless you clearly waive your right to expect a safe configuration.

Make sure you put all the details in writing with any mail order tire company: sizes, weight, etc.

Ard

· Registered
1,118 Posts
MDX Moto said:

By the way for those you that carry chains...do you carry all four or just two? And if you carry just two, which wheels would you put them on?:)
On the MDX, front of course!

You get most of the braking, all the steering, and most of the driving torque (the torque is shifted to the rear when the front starts to slip)

Ard

· Registered
1,118 Posts
Re: oversize tires

Allen Cichanski said:

I know that this may be hard to believe, but I'm pretty sure that the Honda/Acura engineers actually know more than the average car owner when it comes to specifiying tire types and sizes. Stick with stock tires sizes!!!
In keeping with my suspicious nature, I'd not be at all surprised if Acura, Goodyear and Michelein got together on this wierd size tire to create a niche for their products- virtually no choices on this size!

Ard

· Registered
1,118 Posts
10 years. OMG.

Any tire size that has a spec that includes that rim width should be fine. Plenty of clearance IMO

(BTW- never around, but still get the odd email notice when someone posts in an old thread. ;) )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.