Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the dashcam package from blackboxmycar.com because they have excellent customer support (pre and post sales). Also, they have a lot of youtube videos on how-tos for this product line.

I hardwired this dashcam (front and rear) with the battery for several reasons: hidden wires/cables, parking mode recording, prevent draining car battery while the ignition is off. The complete installation was easy and it took me about 2 hours.

I placed the Cellink Battery (has high temp rating of 176F) under the front passenger seat because the power source came from the front passenger fuse box. I tapped an empty slot (#23) because it is powered by ACC configuration. Meaning, power is on only when the ignition is on. This camera system is designed to draw power from the external battery (Cellink) and not from the car battery. The Cellink will get recharged via car battery only when the ignition is on; hence, saving the car battery from going dead.

I routed the one wire from the fuse box, using a tap-a-fuse, to the battery. Connect the cable from the battery to the front camera by routing it underneath the covers (floorboard, Pillar A and headliner...see photos). Connect the second cable from the front camera to the rear camera. Again underneath the headliners/covers. One VERY important note: make sure the cables are behind the airbag.

Once the connections are made, zip tie all cables and wires and put back the covers. Align the lens angle and configure the camera via wifi phone app. The app is very easy to use. Attached photos will indicate where the routing of wires and cables. They are all located on the passenger side of the floorboard or headliner.

Thinkware camera has a phone app and desktop viewer. The phone app can view any recorded files via wifi. To view on desktop, you need to remove the micro SD card and place it in the USB adapter. The desktop viewer displays front and rear footages simultaneously with GPS and other important information (vehicle speed, direction, etc). The footage can be helpful or against you. Depends on the situation. If your car was in a hit and run situation, certainly the footage will be valuable to LEO and your insurance company.

After seeing so many road rage, hit and run, red light runner videos and news clips, I thought this equipment will help protect me in terms of liabilities. Highly recommend it.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Video Samples

Video samples from the front and rear cameras. 1080p quality

This camera system has forward collision and lane departure warnings. Lane departure is not quite accurate. You will hear a series of beeps in the videos for the forward collision warning.

Enjoy the background music of Enrique :)

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
saw the video of the front and rear camera. Terrible quality. Cannot see license plates of cars at all. Isn't it important to see license plate in the event of a collision?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My posted videos are not representative from the actual camera quality output (Full HD 1920x1080 front and rear cameras). In order to upload here, I had to reduce the original video from 1080p to 480 due to file size limitation (5MB).

Here is a video (not mine) https://youtu.be/uiWsxMt8LEU
of the camera output. Also search the net or YouTube for this camera regarding the video samples and good reviews.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently purchased the dashcam package from blackboxmycar.com because they have excellent customer support (pre and post sales). Also, they have a lot of youtube videos on how-tos for this product line.

I hardwired this dashcam (front and rear) with the battery for several reasons: hidden wires/cables, parking mode recording, prevent draining car battery while the ignition is off. The complete installation was easy and it took me about 2 hours.

I placed the Cellink Battery (has high temp rating of 176F) under the front passenger seat because the power source came from the front passenger fuse box. I tapped an empty slot (#23) because it is powered by ACC configuration. Meaning, power is on only when the ignition is on. This camera system is designed to draw power from the external battery (Cellink) and not from the car battery. The Cellink will get recharged via car battery only when the ignition is on; hence, saving the car battery from going dead.

I routed the one wire from the fuse box, using a tap-a-fuse, to the battery. Connect the cable from the battery to the front camera by routing it underneath the covers (floorboard, Pillar A and headliner...see photos). Connect the second cable from the front camera to the rear camera. Again underneath the headliners/covers. One VERY important note: make sure the cables are behind the airbag.

Once the connections are made, zip tie all cables and wires and put back the covers. Align the lens angle and configure the camera via wifi phone app. The app is very easy to use. Attached photos will indicate where the routing of wires and cables. They are all located on the passenger side of the floorboard or headliner.

Thinkware camera has a phone app and desktop viewer. The phone app can view any recorded files via wifi. To view on desktop, you need to remove the micro SD card and place it in the USB adapter. The desktop viewer displays front and rear footages simultaneously with GPS and other important information (vehicle speed, direction, etc). The footage can be helpful or against you. Depends on the situation. If your car was in a hit and run situation, certainly the footage will be valuable to LEO and your insurance company.

After seeing so many road rage, hit and run, red light runner videos and news clips, I thought this equipment will help protect me in terms of liabilities. Highly recommend it.

You plugged the add-a-fuse ( 7.5a + 20a ) to #23 with 7.5A . What amperage did you set your cellink B, to 5A (cig socket) or 7A (hardwiring) ? According to blackboxmycar video in hardwiring cellink battery you should plug the ACC wiring that have at least an amperage from 15A - 30A fuse (yours is #23 with 7.5A) . Do you have any problem like overheating or blown fuse?

I placed the Cellink Battery (has high temp rating of 176F) under the front passenger seat because the power source came from the front passenger fuse box. I tapped an empty slot (#23) because it is powered by ACC configuration.

Your add-a-fuse is 20A and 7.5A so I guess the slot #23 is rated at 7.5A. What amperage did you set up your cellink B , 5A for cig socket or 7A for hardwiring ? On blackboxmycar video, installing cellink battery on hardwire, the add-a-fuse (ACC) wiring should be plugged to a fuse with ratings from 15A to 30A. Do you have any problem like overheating or blown fuse?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts