Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Hardware or Software to improve MDX fuel consumption

23K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  rsj1976 
#1 ·
Hi,

Newbie here, just both an used 2011 MDX. I did my research and new that it was a gas guzzler before buy it, but at that price range and category, all options are pretty much the same.

Does anyone has info to share on this topic? Beyond hyper-mileage driving techniques, I'm looking for info on cold air intake, upgrade in spark plugs, engine mapping, exhaust etc.

I'm about my first half of the tank, and city mileage is 17.5 :headshake :28:

#2 ·
Does anyone has info to share on this topic? Beyond hyper-mileage driving techniques, I'm looking for info on cold air intake, upgrade in spark plugs, engine mapping, exhaust etc.
Those won't make any significant difference in fuel economy. Driving techniques will, if you avoid hard acceleration and try to maintain a constant speed. If you're not keeping up to date on scheduled maintenance (e.g. engine air filter), that can have an effect as well.

I'm about my first half of the tank, and city mileage is 17.5 :headshake :28:
Getting 17.5 miles per gallon in the city, you're WAY above average. 13-16 around town is more typical, with 17-21 in mostly highway driving. Good for you! :29:

FWIW the new third gen (2014+) MDX gets substantially better fuel economy than the first or second gen.

#3 ·
I'm adopting all hyper-mileage techniques that I know, avoiding step in the gas, and maintain around 2k rpm.

I'm sure Acura need to follow several emissions regulations, therefore restrain the design to be secure. Perhaps there are mods that can be done temporarily (outside the eventual emission test) that we can do to increase mileage.

Not looking for a "silver bullet", but a set of mods that incrementally will improve (let's say 20%) on fuel consumption.

#10 ·
Totally different direct fuel injection engine with its own set of unique issues...folks are going to love having the back sides of the injection valves cleaned...with walnut shells..

#11 ·
getting somewhere now...do you have details of this direct injection? Is the engine the same, but different intake manifold and throttle body?

Perhaps if the engine is the same, eventually I can find a totaled 2014+ MDX and swap the direct injection.

Possible?

#20 ·
Hubrus,

I don't know if the 2nd generation has a FWD or not, but the 1st generation only comes with AWD and the mileage suffers accordingly.

On one of my 2001 MDX, I went as far as removing the rear driveshaft along with the rear differential (tons of weight there). I had to put in three different power resistors to simulate the temperature sensor plus the two differential clutch coils to fool the car so that the VTM-4 light will not be lit.

After all that, the car becomes FWD but the gain in mileage is only about 1-2mpg. If I had known it, I wouldn't have gone through the trouble.

As for direct injection, don't even think of swapping. It cannot be done for three reasons: 1) The injectors are not even in the same place, 2) the DI fuel pump must put out pressures which are orders of magnitude higher than plenum injection, and 3) The engine tuning is completely different.

In short, you get what you get and there is little you can do to improve the gas mileage drastically. Also, stay away from things like intake/exhaust modifications, K&N filter etc... They are more or less snake oil that won't do a thing.

Just enjoy the car as is, life is too short. Don't do what my brother did, driving through Vegas in the middle of summer without AC because he was afraid it would hurt his fuel economy. :28:

#21 ·
I don't know if the 2nd generation has a FWD or not, but the 1st generation only comes with AWD and the mileage suffers accordingly.
Like the first gen, the second gen MDX was only available with SH-AWD. FWD first became available on the MDX with the introduction of the third gen, for the 2014 model year.

Compared with FWD versions, AWD adds 200-300 pounds of weight on just about all cars, not just the MDX.

#22 ·
I've seen improvements in the 4-5% range with LRR (low rolling resistance) tires on my Prius, maybe even a percent or two higher if inflated well above mfgr's recommendation (but still below max allowed pressure). Personally, I don't care for how the change in spring rates with high tire pressure affects the ride and handling (less compliance, and feels more skittish), so I stay close to the mfgr's recommendation.

Not sure if LRR tires are available in the size to fit the OP's vehicle, or if the vehicle is already equipped with them. Probably not cost effective to get rid of perfectly good tires to slap a set of LRR tires on, but if you're shopping for new tires it may make sense to consider them.

#23 ·
Not sure if LRR tires are available in the size to fit the OP's vehicle, or if the vehicle is already equipped with them.
Two of the most popular and most frequently recommended tires for the MDX are these:

Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia
Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology

Both are available in the stock 18" size (255/55-18) for the second generation MDX, as well as for the stock size (235/65-17) for the first generation MDX.

In their descriptions on the Tire Rack website, both claim fuel economy savings; the Bridgestone specifically mentions low rolling resistance.

Probably not cost effective to get rid of perfectly good tires to slap a set of LRR tires on, but if you're shopping for new tires it may make sense to consider them.
:29:

#24 ·
Good information...

I'm in my third tank:

First filled by the Acura dealer has unknown octane level, we drove just city and made 21.5 mpg.

The second tank was 89 octanes from BP, just highway and made 23.8mpg @ 70mph (cruise control & AC ON :)).

So far it looks better than I expected. Since the most dramatic mod (direct injection) is not feasible. I'm still looking for inexpensive (and safe) mods to gain 2mpg. In that category the LRR put me almost half way there.

Does anybody has experience with power management bolt-on units?

(just an example)

JET V-Force Plus Performance Module
Part #: 67021

http://www.jetchip.com/Shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?sppp=10&catID=1

G Force

ACURA MDX GF Performance Chip

#29 ·
Yes. That's a long way of saying that 91 or higher octane is required, except in an emergency.

Oh, and you should also read the two sentences after the ones you quoted:

"The use of regular unleaded gasoline can cause metallic knocking noises in the engine and will result in decreased engine performance. The long-term use of regular-grade gasoline can lead to engine damage."

And, of course, any such engine damage resulting from the use of non-premium fuel will almost certainly not be covered by the car's warranty.

You asked how to improve fuel economy, and using the required 91+ octane is one way to do it. In fact, whatever savings you get by using regular or mid-grade gas will probably be wiped out by the poorer fuel economy that results. But you can do whatever you like; it's your car. I just find it odd that you should ask for advice, then argue with folks over their responses when they are just trying to help you by giving you knowledgeable, accurate advice and information. This is why there's a saying, "No good deed goes unpunished." :rolleyes:

#30 ·
To improve the mileage on MDX the only realistic way is to make it lighter. So, to go craze just remove the spear tire, third row of seats and, if you live along :), the second row of seats also, and drive all the time as an a*hole :mad:.

To buy 3.7 liters, 300 horse power, full time 4x4 SUV and after that complain about MPG - it's something above my understanding. If fuel consumption is so critical for you why did you buy the most powerful car of the whole Honda line on the first place?

My only (well, ok, may by not only) complain about my 2012 MDX is fuel consumption as well. But when I press the gas pedal and car is literally "teleporting" miles away in a seconds to the different part the freeway gobbling up time and space like amonster - I know what I pay for. When I getting from LA to Las Vegas in 3:45 - I now what I pay for. When after the 10 hours 800 miles trip I feel not tired at all and spend the rest of the evening walking on the streets of the new city with my family - I know what I pay for.

Choose the right tool. If you are looking for the cheapest way to move you from point A to point B - buy hybrid or small car. My wife has the Toyota Yaris for that matter. Drop kind off school, pick them up later, after school classes, groceries, small shopping, post office - this car is design to do that kind of job. Acura MDX is a jet fighter, weapon of mass destruction. Just enjoy the power.

#32 ·
It sounds like you're claiming that fuel economy will be better off by driving at higher revs by using a lower gear. That is simply not true.

However, it is a good idea to clean the EGR valve and ports every once in a while. This, plus letting the automatic select the gear (which will usually choose the highest gear possible without lugging), and avoiding hard acceleration or frequent changes in speed, will give you the maximum possible fuel economy.

#34 ·
Does anyone have any experience with performance chips that claim to better your fuel mileage
Yes. In my experience, they don't improve fuel economy. There are some chips that can improve performance, mostly on vehicles that have turbos and limiters from the factory (and they can also cause problems). I wouldn't expect a big performance benefit on the MDX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.