·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like them both they are nice SUV's.

MDX
1. More practical
2. About $8,000-$10,000 less than fully loaded FX45
3. 2003 MDX is not as fast as FX45, but it is still pretty quick.
4. Better Navigation system, because it's voice activated, touch screen, and joystick and JD powers said that it and the Lexus navigation systems were the best on the market.
5. More room for all passengers.

FX45
1. The FX has a longer wheel base and for me I am more comfortable in the front seat than in the MDX, but when I have the front seat all the way back the person sitting behind me will not be comfortable.
2. Faster more fun to drive.
3. More of a wow factor you will get lots of stares
4. More fun to drive

Both SUV are great it all depends on what you want to do with the SUV as bad as I want an FX45 the MDX might be a better choice for me.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Blessed said:

MDX
1. More practical
4. Better Navigation system, because it's voice activated, touch screen, and joystick and JD powers said that it and the Lexus navigation systems were the best on the market.

FX45
1. The FX has a longer wheel base and for me I am more comfortable in the front seat than in the MDX, but when I have the front seat all the way back the person sitting behind me will not be comfortable.
4. More fun to drive

Both SUV are great it all depends on what you want to do with the SUV as bad as I want an FX45 the MDX might be a better choice for me.
I don't think you mention that the FXs are ugly :16: (for me they are). Stop thinking, who cares about the FX45, go for the MDX, bet you fall in love with it :10:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Blessed said:

MDX
1. More practical

FX45
4. More fun to drive

If you compare the FX35 (6-cyl, 280hp), the MDX is still not as fast (or as agile either), and the cost becomes a lot closer. The MDX has way more utility, the FX has way more sport. Hence their ad slogan "S2(s to the second power)UV.

It would have been nice if they could have squeezed a few more inches of room for the back seat passengers on the FX.

·
Registered
292 Posts
"Wow factors" are only temporary. Once everybody has seen a few, the effect is gone. Remember the VW New Beetle. It used to have that. I guess the Pontiac Aztec still has it after all these years, but that's the factor working in reverse. (Wow, I can't believe somebody bought another one of those.)

I'm also not convinced the "wow factor" is a positive thing anyway. It also attracts jealous people, and that's not always good.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Blessed, it's a no-brainer.........

Blessed said:

MDX
1. More practical

FX45
4. More fun to drive

.........go for the MDX. I'm not saying this just because I have one already (if you read some of my posts you will see that I'm one of the least biased members, including others like wmquan)

The other day, just for the heck of it, I took the FX45 for an EXTENDED test drive to see if I had made a good decision getting the MDX (I did the same thing with the Lexus GX 470, a while back)........and after both test drives, I'm HONESTLY glad I bought the MDX!! ........Here's why:

The FX45, while in theory, is supposedly faster than the MDX, my "seat of the pants" feel during the test drive (off-the-line) did not seem that way. However,once it picked up speed, it did feel very powerful. It could be because the MDX engine is so much SMOOTHER and QUIETER that the power delivery seemed far more effortless ......While I've read journalists raving about the sound, the FX engine definitely sounded noisy/unrefined to me! :28: On one occasion, I floored the gas pedal and the engine emitted a raspy, thrashy sound, which was VERY UNPLEASANT to my ears. By sharp contrast, even under FULL THROTTLE, the MDX emits a very very muffled, refined sound!

Secondly the Navigation System in the FX SUCKS big time.......Let alone comparing it with the Acura Navi system, it's even FAR WORSE than the Lexus Navi system!! ........They boast about it being a DVD-based system, but when I tried programming a destination from L.A. to Denver, CO, it said something like "cannot calculate a route because selected destination is too far, choose a closer destination" .........I was TOTALLY FLABBERGHASTED!! ......Isn't giving continous, seamless coverage of the whole USA pretty much the very purpose of a DVD-based system?? :rolleyes: .......wonder what kind of a r*tard designed this system! :rolleyes:

However, I will agree with you on the seats. They are ULTRA-COMFORTABLE and quite a bit better than the MDX seats!

But, when all is said and done, and considering the MDX is a whole 8K to 10K less, it's a FAR BETTER value than the FX anyday!!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Wow, if the vehicle at a certain equipment level is $8k-$10k more than the MDX, think about the alternatives to the FX45 that kind of money would buy. The Lexus GX470, a luxury-oriented, more traditional SUV with tremendous plushness. The upcoming V8-version of the VW Touareg, with some great features of its own. Of course, they're different than the FX45, which will be more nimble as it's a lot closer to an AWD wagon than the others (IMHO, more so than the Touareg). I don't mean "wagon" in a derogatory sense either.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on which side of the fence you are leaning towards to start with. Do you want a vehicle with the emphasis on sport or utility? Personally, I thought the 6-cyl FX35 has significantly better acceleration than the X, but that's just me. I can guarantee it handles better and has better brakes. If you take the FX45, with it's 329 lb/ft of torque at 4000rpm and factor in that it weighs 700-800 lbs less than the MDX, I don't see how it can't be even more of a difference. I will concede that the Acura nav is way better.

Bottom line is that if someone is considering the FX vs. the MDX, the only way to decide is to drive both yourself. For me, if I had the option when I bought my MDX, it would have made the choice very tough. I would think that a lot of prospective X5 buyers would be tempted too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
ugly FX45

Having seen the FX45 at the Detroit Auto Show and on the road, my assesment is that it is one butt ugly car/SUV. I think it is just dopey looking and truly impractical. All of the new Nissan/Infiniti models except for the G35 sport coupe make a "Wow" first impression but after you see them on the road for a while they look odd. No choice at all between MDX and FX45 - GET THE MDX!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
These are two very different vehicles. FX is NOT an SUV - it is like a sports car on steroids - can sit 4, maybe 5 adults, very limited cargo space and space in general, especially for back sit passengers.

MDX is SUV with the advantages of SUV - people space, cargo space, some off-roading, higher seating position, etc. I still get a "wow" with MDX. It is luxury, nice and retains value well. Limited production (target 50K MDXs this year) will ensure high resale value in the future. It is a desired car and to a certain degree it is a statement of you doing financially well, having a great taste for luxury and being smart with money.

FX is a hot toy for now. Couple months from now Infiniti is going to introduce its 2 door crossover, even smaller than FX - even more radical looking than FX. Then FX will be old news. You will find yourself with a great, fast car that does not have a "wow" factor any more, that is small, somewhat inconvenient and does not scale as your needs change (child, outdoors, etc.)

Add to that Infiniti's poor value retention track record and you may have your answer. Brand new Q45 was about $60K and you can buy a 4 years old Q45 with 60K miles for about $15K.

·
Registered
840 Posts
What a freakin retarded nightmare of an instrument panel that graces the Touareg and the Porsche Cayenne. Wtf were they thinking. Sure it may look cool at night, but come on, can we say, HUMAN INTERFACE TEST: MDX: 9/10 Tour/Cayenne: 1/10? What the hell.

Err, let me tell u, 20 inch rims in a place like Boston...VERY VERY BAD. Can we say "here, hold on to my neck...ok now watch and feel how my SPINE contracts and expands" !!! Ouch. Not good. It's all for looks. For establishing a brand name.

Vic, LOL your post truly made me laugh. Hahah. Hey while I'm here, can I ask if any of the Lexus cars allow you to enter new Nav destinations while driving? Tell me it ain't true that you have to put her in park to edit your NAV destination... :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with Desant that FX35/45 is not a SUV.

Check this out:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18866-2003Feb28.html

A friend of mine just got the FX 35 and though it is a nice car I am glad that I got the MDX. To me the MDX is more useful than the FX 35. I got kids on the way. My friend is single.

So it all depends on "needs"

·
Registered
550 Posts
ndahbar,

The Lexus navi allows you to play with it whenever you come to a stop. It does NOT require you to put it in Park...that is only true if you want to play DVD movies, which tells you a lot about the graphics on the Lexus navi screen!

It is a safety measure...it does NOT mean inferiority...maybe impractical in this fast-paced world.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Looks like a PT cruiser on steroids

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tough choice but I got the FX

After driving both (the MDX then the FX35AWD) back-to-back, I can assure you that the FX35 drives way better; very like a sports car and can seat 2 adults very comfortably in the back seat. I agree that it doesn't have the utility of the MDX. As far as looks go, it is a little odd but the MDX is no stunner either. I didn't need a nav system so I was able to get one for $38K with the premium package. The 18 inch wheels are plenty on this car and the FX45 is no quicker when you drive them back-to-back. Therefore, I paid slightly less for the FX than an equivalent MDX and it has many more nice details like bixenon headlights, LED rear lights; real aluminum trim and a more sophisticated (read performance-oriented) AWD. I believe the warranty is also longer. IMHO

·
Registered
218 Posts
Re: Tough choice but I got the FX

RickP said:
After driving both (the MDX then the FX35AWD) back-to-back, I can assure you that the FX35 drives way better; very like a sports car and can seat 2 adults very comfortably in the back seat. I agree that it doesn't have the utility of the MDX. As far as looks go, it is a little odd but the MDX is no stunner either. I didn't need a nav system so I was able to get one for $38K with the premium package. The 18 inch wheels are plenty on this car and the FX45 is no quicker when you drive them back-to-back. Therefore, I paid slightly less for the FX than an equivalent MDX and it has many more nice details like bixenon headlights, LED rear lights; real aluminum trim and a more sophisticated (read performance-oriented) AWD. I believe the warranty is also longer. IMHO
RickP, so what color did you get? Did you not like the Sport Package? That suspension is pretty stiff, huh? It'll probably cost an arm and a leg to replace those 20" tires anyway. I testdrove one over the weekend and it rocks. I'm still on the fence...

BTW, do you have kids? How is it carrying kids and cargo?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I was at Citrus Park Mall in Tampa this last weekend and they had a large display of Infinity, Jaguar, and Audi vehicles throughout the mall. They had both the FX35 and FX45 and they are both very nice looking vehicles. The quality of the interior leather looks outstanding and well finished. The price of the FX45 was $52,500 and the FX35 was right at $39,000. They would not be an option for me as they are just too small for my needs and could not carry the 40 bags of mulch that my MDX did this last weekend!! I did see an Audi A4 1.8 that I liked very much and I am looking a either that or a new Acura TSX as a replacement for my wifes 3.2TL.

·
Registered
99 Posts
MDX is still the best for me

After 2 months of driving it, I have a "strange" feeling : I love this SUV more and more everyday. It's a real Sport Utility Vehicule, it's not a TOYS.

IMHO, when you look at the Murano or FX45, they look CUTE, and are very good for those who prefer the "cross-over style". If you really need a polyvalent SUV, then go for the MDX.

:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gold with the willow interior. I think the 20 in wheels are mainly a styling statement and are too much for this vehicle (or any vehicle for that matter). I also own a Sequoia so room was not a major issue. I needed an AWD vehicle that sat 4 adults comfortably and would take the place of a Porsche Boxster S that is coming off lease.
I can assure you that the standard 18 in wheel/suspension package on the FX 35 is plenty firm enough; I suspect Infiniti will have to offer a more compliant version of their 20 in sports suspension package or they are going to have a lot of unhappy customers.

·
Registered
446 Posts
A little small

Rvehock, We went to Cleveland auto show last Sunday and made a beeline to the Infiniti display just to see these things. Like you we liked them but for our needs the interior size won’t cut it. With only 2.5 of 4 kids out of the nest we tend to need more room than the FX’s can offer. Not counting the domestic’s (which I have no problem with) the MDX’s only competition for interior space is the Pilot. I had to smile at my wife though; she just fell in love with the Infiniti G35 sedan. As soon as we got home she was on the Infiniti web site pricing one out (with a 6sp). When I asked her if she really wanted to get rid of the MDX she informed me "no” I just want that car. :D I have to agree with her, for the money that is one nice car.

Niles

1 - 20 of 73 Posts