Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asked about this before but now dealer tells me something different

After 2014 MDX (Advanced all wheel) sits for several days, when I try to start it the brake pedal is rock hard and tough to push down

Normal condition is easy to push, works fine if I drive every day

Recently, almost could not start car - push button start didn't think brake pedal was pressed

Dealer days it is due to rust forming on brakes if wet conditions and pedal will not push (hasn't rained in weeks)

Sounds like BS to me

Any insights??

JJ

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
That's definitely not a normal condition and rust from a few days (or weeks or months) won't cause a hard pedal. There'd need to be significant rust in the areas of the brakes that aren't supposed to rust. It's normal to have light surface rust on a rotor that can form pretty quickly, even overnight, but this has no impact on the brakes and wouldn't cause a hard pedal.

Don't accept this. Request that whoever the top mechanic is at that dealer take a look at your car. If that doesn't get you anywhere take the car to a different dealer. You might just want to start out by taking it to another dealer.

I assume you'd have noticed if you accidentally had the emergency brake on. You could have a sticky brake caliper or something.

There's no way this is a normal condition and especially since it involves the major safety component of the brakes, the service department should not have just tried to get rid of you with a story like this. The problem needs to be resolved. Make sure you keep pursuing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Asked about this before but now dealer tells me something different

After 2014 MDX (Advanced all wheel) sits for several days, when I try to start it the brake pedal is rock hard and tough to push down

Normal condition is easy to push, works fine if I drive every day

Recently, almost could not start car - push button start didn't think brake pedal was pressed

Dealer days it is due to rust forming on brakes if wet conditions and pedal will not push (hasn't rained in weeks)

Sounds like BS to me

Any insights??

JJ
I am having the same problem with my 2014 Acura MDX... The brake is rock hard and then I cannot get the car started! This is the third time I have had this problem. It happens after the car sits for several days. The first time I had my car jump started and took it immediately to my local Acura Dealer where a test was performed on the battery. Obviously the battery was fine. I didn't pay over $50k for an SUV that would have these problems. Very disappointing to say the least.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
That's definitely not a normal condition and rust from a few days (or weeks or months) won't cause a hard pedal. There'd need to be significant rust in the areas of the brakes that aren't supposed to rust. It's normal to have light surface rust on a rotor that can form pretty quickly, even overnight, but this has no impact on the brakes and wouldn't cause a hard pedal.

Don't accept this. Request that whoever the top mechanic is at that dealer take a look at your car. If that doesn't get you anywhere take the car to a different dealer. You might just want to start out by taking it to another dealer.

I assume you'd have noticed if you accidentally had the emergency brake on. You could have a sticky brake caliper or something.

There's no way this is a normal condition and especially since it involves the major safety component of the brakes, the service department should not have just tried to get rid of you with a story like this. The problem needs to be resolved. Make sure you keep pursuing it.
I guess if you can't start the car,it's not a safety issue. Only if you couldn't stop the car. I don't understand the dealer responses. It sounds like it is easily replicated. They should be able to fix it. I'd try writing consumer reports. If they can replicate it,they would publish it. You need to try unconventional ways of getting this info. The normal ways aren't working.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I deal with J. Wolfe also. Been fighting this issue along with three instances of the brake pedal refusing to depress while the vehicle is in motion. NTSB, do you read your online complaints?

Last instance resulted in $700.00 damage to front bumper. Good luck dealing with their service people and the Acura DSM. They continually tell me I am the only 2014 MDX owner complaining about this issue. Attitude is, relax, have a cappuccino and croissant from our concierge service and your issue will magically disappear.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I deal with J. Wolfe also. Been fighting this issue along with three instances of the brake pedal refusing to depress while the vehicle is in motion. NTSB, do you read your online complaints?

Last instance resulted in $700.00 damage to front bumper. Good luck dealing with their service people and the Acura DSM. They continually tell me I am the only 2014 MDX owner complaining about this issue. Attitude is, relax, have a cappuccino and croissant from our concierge service and your issue will magically disappear.
I haven't seen anyone complain of not being able to stop the car. Not that I remember.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 2014 Acura MDX... The brake is rock hard and then I cannot get the car started! This is the third time I have had this problem. It happens after the car sits for several days. The first time I had my car jump started and took it immediately to my local Acura Dealer where a test was performed on the battery. Obviously the battery was fine. I didn't pay over $50k for an SUV that would have these problems. Very disappointing to say the least.
I am having the same issue here. We haven't used our MDX in 10 days and it's raining today .....went to start it and the break pedal is rock solid and all three fobs are acting up and the vehicle won't start .

·
Registered
58 Posts
had something similar happen to my 2016 mdx. look into your battery. clean and inspect terminals. waiting to replace once covid19 is over

·
Registered
133 Posts
Many, including my 14MDX have the hard brake pedal issue only during cold temps like below 30F. Surprised to hear that at this time of the year unless it is still cold where you live.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Most common failure causing your symptoms is the vacuum check valve in the vacuum hose between the engine and the power booster. I had the same problem with my CRV. I believe it is part of the hose assembly shown as number 18 at the top right of this diagram:

If the price is reasonable, I would just replace it.

If that doesn't fix it, most likely it's a leak inside the booster itself.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Had the problem with my 2014, it was a vacuum issue. But i cannot remember what the fix was, I traded in for a new 2017. I have not had the issue with the 20176 and now 2020.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts