Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last pair of Yokohamas didn't make it anywhere close to the 65,000 treadwear warranty before running through the tread and beginning to whine/shake, so I had Discount Tire replace them around 30K with a set of Kumho Road Venture SAT...

These tires were CHEAP at Discount ... Under $120 each and I'm very happy with how smooth/quiet they are at highway speeds considering how aggressive the tread pattern is.

Even more impressive is their off-road performance... Never once got stuck through very loose sand in the dunes behind the off-road beach in Corolla, NC. My '03 had no problem keeping up with the jeeps and lifted pick-ups! Low gear/VSA OFF/VTM-4 Lock hardly even necessary. These vehicles don't get nearly enough credit for their all-terrain capability. And the all-terrain tires really help bring out this attribute!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wheel Size

Hey.

I'm hearing such excellent things about these tires from MDXers and other vehicle owners. I'm looking to get a set for my '01 MDX, but it doesn't look like Kumho makes the SAT for my '01 OEM Touring Wheels :(. I do mostly highway driving, but would definitely like the same set of tires take me through my southeast VA snow, Akron, OH snow, and the occasional Outer Banks sand. Do you have the OEM '03 MDX Wheels? I'm thinking about possibly getting some new wheels (if I can get the used for a good price) so I can use these tires.

Does anyone have any opinions about using '03 OEM wheels on my '01?

Thanks

Edit: Also, thanks for the pics of the MDX in Corolla. Maybe our MDXes will cross paths on the beach one of these days lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm not mistaken, all MDX wheel/tire combos should be the same size. Are you not running 235/65 R17 currently?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, I am currently on 235/65 R17.

I guess you are using different size tires on your stock wheels? The closest size I see for this tire is P245/65R17.

Would I still be able to use that?
Do you know what size tires you have?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info. I realized you were the OP after I already replied. Sorry about that. I've found some other people using other brand 245/65/17 on their MDXs with no problem. I'm going to do a little more research and talk to the local shop for the cons of going that route. Apparently it shouldn't be an issue if there is enough clearance on the vehicle when turning.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've probably got between 10-15K on them so far, and last I had it in the shop I was told they have 80% life remaining. The treads are holding up really well. They are a little loud on certain highway surfaces but it doesn't bother me in my 11-year old car. I like the way they look and perform

1 - 8 of 8 Posts