Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow MDXers! :)

I just wanted to post to all that I am happy with my purchase of my 2002 MDX. I had a 1999 Honda CR-V EX up until March 1st. I leased my CR-V, which would have ended March 2003. I was sad that it was totaled, but thankful that nobody was hurt. I wasn't driving at the time and wasn't even there...my boyfriend had my car that day. He only bumped his head considering he hit the back of a 10-wheeler truck. Ouch! (See photo attached)

Anyhow, I had been thinking about what car to get next when my CR-V lease was up. I wanted a change and the CR-V wasn't satisfying me anymore even though I put a lot of money into it adding accessories and all. My first choice was the Lexus RX300 but decided against it after seeing other SUV's coming out. I then was thinking about the Ford Escape because I had rented a Ford Explorer once and loved it, but a friend has one and she says she has too many problems with it. My boyfriend wanted me to look at the Mercedes ML, but I hate how that SUV looks (no offense to those who have one). My last choice was the BMW X5 3.0 because I have always wanted a BMW and wanted to stay in the SUV family. Since my CR-V was totaled I started actually shopping and test driving. I hadn't test drove any of the cars above, just researching them and looking at them at the dealerships since I was too far away from my lease. So, my boyfriend picked me up from work one day and we randomly decided to check out the Infiniti QX4. I test drive it that day and really liked what it offered, but it was the first one I test drove, so wanted to check out others. The next day my boyfriend called me and said I should look at the Acura MDX, which I was unsure of because I didn't know much about it, therefore not having much interest. When we were on the phone I looked at the MDX on the Acura web site and said I would go look at it after work. He picked me up and we went to see it. The dealer showed my top to bottom what the MDX had to offer. The least to say...I fell in love. ;)

I then asked the dealer to give me numbers on buying it, leasing it, etc. The dealer looked at my and my boyfriend smirking and said "you don't know?" I looked back at him and said "no, what?" The dealer told me how there is a 6 month wait on "these cars"...in his words. I was surprised (remember I didn't know much about the MDX). I said that's fine because I may need to wait anyhow and asked for a test drive. The dealer said I couldn't test drive it because they were closing soon. I was disappointed at knowing I may need to wait, but especially at how the dealer treated me (us). I didn't think he was very nice and didn't offer his business card to come back the next day or anything for a test drive.

Moving on...sorry so long. :rolleyes: Well, the next day was Saturday, meaning I had all day to shop for a car. The night before my boyfriend went online and checked for all Acura dealerships in our area. We started out early Saturday morning calling dealerships to see if they had an MDX to test drive and if they had any available. I didn't want to go back to the place I went to the day before anyhow. The first dealership I called had one to test drive and possibly a used one to buy. I went to test drive and fell in love more, especially with the navi! :) I got what numbers I needed from a great dealer and left to check out other dealerships. I went to the next dealership only to learn that they had Canadian MDX's, which I was forewarned about. I was told by several dealers (during my phone calls) that there were several cons to buying a Canadian model. I was hesitating now and after the test drive at that dealer, he was pressuring me into putting a $1,000 deposit down that was non-refundable on an MDX that they weren't sure would be coming in...YEA RIGHT! I then called the last dealership and after speaking with the dealer a couple times I decided not to go to him. The reason was that particular dealership installs certain items on the car and you have to get them that way...at least he made it sound like I had no option to not have them. So I went back to the first place and put down a $500 refundable deposit on the MDX expected arrive in late June, early July but I had to put down 3 color choices because I may not get what I want.

AH...towards the end now. I was happy with my car of choice but had to wait. I had no problem waiting since I only live 3 miles from work and get to and from without a problem. Well, after the weekend (Monday morning) my boyfriend called me at work and said I should call a couple out-of-state dealerships just to see if the have any MDX's. I said that I couldn't because I wasn't available to make phone calls due to work. He decided to call and found 2 MDX's...possibly...the dealers had to confirm and call him back. He got a call back from both dealers and they both had one that I could put a deposit on and pick up right away! I was amazed. The first one who got back to my boyfriend had the color I wanted...Deep Mahogany Pearl and the other dealer had Granite Green...my 2nd choice! WOW! I couldn't believe it. I had learned over the weekend that both of these colors were discontinued. It boiled down to the dealer with the Mahogany one for several reasons, which I don't want to get into since this is long enough. But one of the reasons was the dealer with the GG one wanted to charge me $2,000 more since the color was discontinued...I don't think so! :mad: I then made a $500 refundable deposit over the phone with my dealer. Even though I had to make a trip of an hour and half to see my MDX, it was worth it. The sales and service was excellent and extremely helpful! Throughout the week, we communicated via phone, fax and Fed-Ex to get all paperwork done. I had my new 2002 MDX on Saturday morning! :D Oh, it was worth the wait and even better that I got it earlier than 3-6 months! :p My mother has always told me that I'm lucky at times when I need it since I've been born and this was definitely one of those times.

Well, that's it...I'm a very happy girl! My overall experience with my MDX has been great so far...only 19 days old. :D Look for a picture of my MDX on the next post.

KEEP ON MDX-ing!

-MDXRULES :p

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TO MY STORY ABOVE, pic of my MDX

My new MDX...not the best picture but I didn't want me on the web. I will take better photos and submit them soon.

Note: I had the fender flares and BSM installed at the dealer. The side steps were purchased after and installed by my boyfriend, which aren't shown here...sorry.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
mdxrules,

Good luck with your new MDX. I enjoyed reading your story. Its great to read how someone falls in love with the MDX. Its stories like these that get others interested in getting the MDX.

One thing your story shows to all those who have long waits, is that if you are persistant and are willing to drive a ways and make phone calls, you can sometimes beat the long waits and rip off dealers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts