Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends-

Alternator crapped out over the holidays, they found a short on the HFL unit said it'll be $600-$700 to replace which seems bonkers. Think I'll go aftermarket, anyone got a good brand/link to go and purchase?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
What year MDX? You can try to buy a used one or leave it disconnected. I'm using the iSimple in my MDX and it's handled bluetooth pretty well.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Alternator crapped out over the holidays, they found a short on the HFL unit said it'll be $600-$700 to replace which seems bonkers.
600-700 to replace the HFL unit? That's crazy. It "only" costs $250. Not that anyone needs it, really. Just disconnect it and forget about it:

Think I'll go aftermarket, anyone got a good brand/link to go and purchase?
There is no aftermarket HFL unit for the MDX, it's a proprietary part.

·
Registered
317 Posts
600-700 to replace the HFL unit? That's crazy. It "only" costs $250. Not that anyone needs it, really. Just disconnect it and forget about it:

There is no aftermarket HFL unit for the MDX, it's a proprietary part.
sure there is got one in my x works great also streams from iphone

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
sure there is got one in my x works great also streams from iphone
That's not a OEM unit replacement, that's just a crutch that allows you to use some of the features with the car. It will not replace the HFL unit and will not allow you to use voice commands with the car as well as it will not resolve the vehicle HFL error and will not allow proper vehicle diagnostics when needed. In your system the HFL will still be highlighted in red and show an error.

·
Registered
317 Posts
That's not a OEM unit replacement, that's just a crutch that allows you to use some of the features with the car. It will not replace the HFL unit and will not allow you to use voice commands with the car as well as it will not resolve the vehicle HFL error and will not allow proper vehicle diagnostics when needed. In your system the HFL will still be highlighted in red and show an error.
im happy with it, it does what i need it to do, makes calls using voice command and also streams music witch the original cant and its alot cheaper , easy to install plug & play, ive owne my x for 5 years now and never used the voice command feature other than making phone calls

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What year MDX? You can try to buy a used one or leave it disconnected. I'm using the iSimple in my MDX and it's handled bluetooth pretty well.
2011. Would really like the bluetooth back but the cost is stupid

1 - 7 of 7 Posts