Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Kenwood TM-V7A 2 meter/440 in my MDX. I put the radio under the second row seats and the face plate in the console cubby hole along with a small speaker. I mounted a Comet B10 antenna on a mag mount just ahead of the rear hatch. The coax is routed in the hatch/body gap and down the internal gutter and comes inside at the bottom to prevent leaks. I use power from the rear accessory outlet with no problems. The small antenna misses my garage door frame by about 2 inches.

Regards, greyskr

>>Ham radio

>>Has anyone installed a 2 meter, 440 or 1.2Ghz radio in a MDX? Any problems?

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Does anyone make a 2 meter antenna that isn't ugly as sin? Maybe a glass mount? I've been thinking of putting my rig in the car, but I really don't want my Civic to look like Tyco R/C :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, the AES catalog has glass mount antennas for 2 meter. One is 33 inches in length and the other is a 23 inch cell phone "look alike". I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am satisfied with my mag mount. Mag mounts can cause scratches, so mounting location is important.

Regards, greyskr

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ham radio

Thanks for all the input folks. I am going to go over to HRO and buy a window mount antenna. My clearance in the garage is so little that anything on top would hit.

I actually was worried about interference from the engine to the radio as well but that is sort of a moot point. I will do a temp install, put an existing mag mount on and run up the engine and see what happens.

I had a terrible alternator whine on my last car that took me a month to kill off with filters and chokes.

Bob laserman Murrow

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can't add anything yet to this thread, but am interested in the follow-up. I haven't had an external antenna on a vehicle for a few years, but am interested where you guys have mounted the radios and antennas.

I'm thinking about purchasing a new 2m/440 rig -- any suggestions? By the way, I'm WD0FEW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Amatuer radio installation
I just took possesion on a havasu touring with navigation.

This fall I will be installing my HF transceiver, antenna etc. Any tips would be appreciated.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
HF has some big antennas, if you're not working 20m. Better hurry though, I think Field Day is coming up, or did I miss it already?

BTW, I'm N2LCJ, one of the very last code-licensed technician class operators back in 1990.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts