Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my MDX got nailed by a hailstorm the other week.

Oddly enough, the dealer could not find any damage on the roof.
The hood was another story... about 12 dents in the hood. If you check yours between the washer jets, you'll find that area is thin and springy.

The repair wasn't too bad, about $400.

But if it's hailing, cover the hood first!

Don

·
Registered
112 Posts
What a shame!

Sorry to hear about your hail damage. We took delivery on 2/12/2002, and I cannot imagine hail damage already! Hope the repair lived up to your expectations and that it looks as good as new!:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
which part of Houston

dbarry,

which part of Houston are you in? I'm in Pearland and the MDX out outside during the whole time. I didn't notice any. But after seeing your note, I'll go check the hood later today.

ct

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Dooooooode...

AH man.....falling ice golf balls from the skies. I seen them as big as baseball size! :O

Am fortunate that I have not experienced that here. We have hail here but not to the size that would put dents in the car.

Am sorry to hear that. Glad you can get it fix though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was over in The Green Tee area (where Mom lives)... The hail was quarter-sized.

The repair came out great.

Don

·
Registered
928 Posts
hey dbarry, sorry about the misfortune, but i'm glad your truck was fixed at considerably small amout. i am just a bit curious as to what did the repair shop do to fix those 12 dents. can you give some more information? thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The repair was pretty neat... they ground off all the paint on the dents. Then they have this neat tool that SPOT WELDS at thin stud to the dented area. Another neat tool pulls on the stud to pull the dent out.

Once the dent is pulled out, they clip the stud off, grind off the rest, and it's primer time.

Sure beats drilling holes (the old way).

Don

·
Registered
25 Posts
I feel your pain

Did you ask them about paintless dent removal?

We had $2500 in hail damage on our WRX Wagon 2 months ago. Dent Wizard repaired all the dents in one day. Except for the hood which will be replaced by a carbon fiber hood (no more hail damage there!).

He did an excellent job, almost every single panel had damage (I counted at least 65 dents).

The insurance company agreed to replace the hood (without any arguments) due to the heat generated by the engine. Shops usually just fill it with bondo (eek!) and paint over it. That will degrade in no time which is why they just replace them.

When I saw the hail damage I just wanted to cry, now I have a nervous breakdown anytime the weather service mentions hail :(

Nick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts