Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 MDX
I've noticed when accelerating around 1500 rpms and letting off the accelerator a grunt noise comes from the from left side of the vehicle. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions as to why I'm hearing this? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
rwMDX01:

Since the above comment is valueless, I'll offer at least a possibility - it may be the VCM kicking on/off that you're noticing. I actually rarely notice it on my 2014 since it's really a quite smooth and quiet function in the MDX but depending on exactly how you're throttling at the time you may find it more noticeable or maybe your particular MDX is just noisier than others in this area.

Of course, the VCM might not be it but it's a possibility. If you can readily replicate it and if it's annoying you, have an Acura service tech do a test drive and diagnose what it is.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Hmm does the grunting sound anything like grinding, but just muffled and low pitch? If you're getting this while letting off the accelerator, hopefully it's just things rattling against each other as the load changes, but you could be looking at a transmission issue as well. We haven't seen any other reported off load grunting/grinding, so this is best for the dealer to deal with.

·
Registered
837 Posts
rwMDX01:

Since the above comment is valueless, I'll offer at least a possibility - it may be the VCM kicking on/off that you're noticing. I actually rarely notice it on my 2014 since it's really a quite smooth and quiet function in the MDX but depending on exactly how you're throttling at the time you may find it more noticeable or maybe your particular MDX is just noisier than others in this area.

Of course, the VCM might not be it but it's a possibility. If you can readily replicate it and if it's annoying you, have an Acura service tech do a test drive and diagnose what it is.
At low RPMs I can hear my VCM kick it. Sort of an exhaust shield type rattle. May be it is from the vibrations. But I definitely feel the VCM. It is subtle but I have acute hearing for these kinds of things.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes, I started experiencing this same grunt sound you are referring to this summer. I have 33,000 miles on my 2014 MDX now.
It only happens for me when the AC is on. Left side, I cannot tell if it is in tire wall or left back corner of engine bay.
I was going to ask my dealer about it on the next oil change.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Hoping it's just that, though I never really thought to describe that sound as grunting. It's kind of high rate rattling instead?

·
Registered
191 Posts
thanks for the feedback. this all makes sense but for me, I wonder why it only happens when the ac is on. I figured it was a part that is not fastened or too flimsy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the comments and feedback. I debated on how to best describe the noise I was hearing as "grunt" or "vibration", but the video on the Edmunds thread is exactly the noise I hear. I can get it to replicate pretty easily and think there is a connection to when the "a/c" is on. I'll have my local dealer take a look at it soon.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Thanks everyone for the comments and feedback. I debated on how to best describe the noise I was hearing as "grunt" or "vibration", but the video on the Edmunds thread is exactly the noise I hear. I can get it to replicate pretty easily and think there is a connection to when the "a/c" is on. I'll have my local dealer take a look at it soon.
This may help then (see attachment). I did exactly what the TSB mentioned and assumed it was the torque converter chattering being described as grunting lol

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think the buzz I believed is coming from the speaker is coming from that bulkhead cover thing. I was in there messing around with it today, and when I drove over a road that always causes the buzz, it was silent. However, now there is an occasional buzz from the motor when accelerating from a stop, lol.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Neoshi;

Thank you again for showing me the TSB on this thread.

I had my oil change and tire rotation this morning and they replaced the bulkhead cover strikers/latches when I showed them the TSB.

The rumble between 1500 and 1800 rpm on light acceleration appears to be gone!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts