Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
That's good to know. So where is the end of the extension cable now? Under the armrest where the other USB ports are?
Yes, it is under the armrest inside the covey. I wanted the install to be unnoticeable unless one were to open the glove box.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, it is under the armrest inside the covey. I wanted the install to be unnoticeable unless one were to open the glove box.
Sounds good. I wish I had specifically asked my installer to do this. I will have to find someone to do this for me.

The MDX is new to me so I must admit I am not familiar with the factory USB/IPod function. When i look at the 3 USB ports under the armrest, the one to the far right appears to be the one you would use with a flash drive or Ipod. Is that correct? Since the Vline uses the "Ipod" source, I assume I can no longer utilize this feature?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Sounds good. I wish I had specifically asked my installer to do this. I will have to find someone to do this for me.

The MDX is new to me so I must admit I am not familiar with the factory USB/IPod function. When i look at the 3 USB ports under the armrest, the one to the far right appears to be the one you would use with a flash drive or Ipod. Is that correct? Since the Vline uses the "Ipod" source, I assume I can no longer utilize this feature?
I haven't used an Ipod in the past 10 years or so, so I could not speak with authority but my guess is that it would no longer work once Vline is installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't used an Ipod in the past 10 years or so, so I could not speak with authority but my guess is that it would no longer work once Vline is installed.
To be honest, I'm not sure if that USB ever worked in my vehicle, even prior to the VLine install.

Just curious - what do you find to be the benefit of using google maps via android auto vs simply installing the maps app or waze app and navigating that way?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
To be honest, I'm not sure if that USB ever worked in my vehicle, even prior to the VLine install.

Just curious - what do you find to be the benefit of using google maps via android auto vs simply installing the maps app or waze app and navigating that way?
One still needs to provide internet to the Vline in order to get full use of Google Maps or Waze so I still must engage my phone to do this. Plus, I do find the features of AA to be very useful and makes me a safer driver so I only desire to use AA.

·
Registered
2015 MDX Tech SHAWD
58 Posts
I do the same. I actually removed my GPS antenna harness entirely and just use Android Auto exclusively. I can reconnect it if something changes in the future.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
My biggest complaint with the product is that while navigating, if I make or receive a bluetooth phone call, the Nav screen is replaced by the call info. I expressed this concern to Grom, thinking it was something in my settings or operation of the unit. They confirmed that this is a known issue and a fix is due to arrive via OTA software update next week.
Hey jeff442, have you heard anything from Grom regarding the firmware fix for how phone calls replace all Vline functions on the screen? A couple weeks ago I did receive a new firmware but they are still not providing changelogs and I can verify this firmware did not correct this phone/Vline issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey jeff442, have you heard anything from Grom regarding the firmware fix for how phone calls replace all Vline functions on the screen? A couple weeks ago I did receive a new firmware but they are still not providing changelogs and I can verify this firmware did not correct this phone/Vline issue.
Unfortunately, I keep getting the same answer and it is definitely frustrating. I am basically unable to use handsfree calling while navigating until they implement this fix. It's disappointing as this was the main reason I bought the VL2. I will let you know when see a firmware release that fixes this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
UPDATE (kind of) - I checked with tech support again this morning and they said the update had cleared testing and it should be released via a firmware update in roughly one week. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First of all thank you to all who shared their input above. I installed Grom last weekend on my MDX 2014 tech package as I was tired of the crappy Nav and infotainment system. Android Auto is working great except for a few kinks which are:
1. You cannot cancel a route through the wheel other than using voice commands, maybe someone can educate me but I could not figure out a way to cancel the route through the wheel.
2. The call thing is annoying as it just takes you right out of the system to Acura call screen. I have updated all the patches but still the same. I tried various configurations like unpairing my Bluetooth from car and just the Grom but it still did not work.

Regarding CarPlay I could not make it work or could find any instructions anywhere as to how it should be installed. Like for google play and etc there is a manual for CarPlay there is nothing. I guess it’s just supposed to work? None the less I tried to install various apps but got nowhere. I opened a case with Grom will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok I finally got the voice call portion working with Android Auto. Once you get the call or make a call simply press and hold the Menu button and it will take u back to Navigation screen. Note that your phone has to be paired with Acura for it to work. Also make sure you have the latest firmware and software VLine version.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok I finally got the voice call portion working with Android Auto. Once you get the call or make a call simply press and hold the Menu button and it will take u back to Navigation screen. Note that your phone has to be paired with Acura for it to work. Also make sure you have the latest firmware and software VLine version.
I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the VL2. I have been hounding their support team to address the call screen issue that you described. I also noticed that the new software/firmware yesterday addressed this issue. How did you know to press and hold the menu button?

Anyways, it's great that this is fixed, though it should have never been released this way in the first place. Unfortunately, since running the updates, I cannot get any audio while on the Vline source. If I switch to FM, Bluetooth, CD, etc, everything is fine but the VLine is now completely quiet. I will have to reach out to the team there again for some suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the VL2. I have been hounding their support team to address the call screen issue that you described. I also noticed that the new software/firmware yesterday addressed this issue. How did you know to press and hold the menu button?

Anyways, it's great that this is fixed, though it should have never been released this way in the first place. Unfortunately, since running the updates, I cannot get any audio while on the Vline source. If I switch to FM, Bluetooth, CD, etc, everything is fine but the VLine is now completely quiet. I will have to reach out to the team there again for some suggestions.
I contacted the support team and after back and forth they told me about the Menu button. You have to keep pushing them. I still cannot make calls from AA as I get the message that Bluetooth is not connected which is not true so I still have to go back to them. Other issue I have is that since I have speed dial every time vline boots it dials the first speed dial which is super annoying.
I do not have the second issue as you though. Everything seems to be fine. Although the volume seems to be low on YouTube music app but it works fine.
I still cannot get CarPlay to work tried various things and have a case open but so far no results.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

jeff442, I went through this no audio mess earlier today after updating firmware. Grom stated this was a known issue with next to last firmware, they apologized, then asked me to update firmware again to address this. I did and audio returned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
jeff442, I went through this no audio mess earlier today after updating firmware. Grom stated this was a known issue with next to last firmware, they apologized, then asked me to update firmware again to address this. I did and audio returned.
Thanks, Trent! I downloaded the new firmware on the way to work this morning and that fixed it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thanks, Trent! I downloaded the new firmware on the way to work this morning and that fixed it!
You're welcome jeff442. So you know, I've conveyed some thoughts to Grom yesterday, which was I was dismayed as to why Grom's most expensive product offering doesn't offer at least same level of support as their lower tier offerings. Example, you can routinely chat regarding other offerings but it is rare you can chat with Vline support representative and instead, you must submit a ticket and wait for a response, which Grom says is typically 1-2 hours. My theory is that Grom's true tech support for this product line is offshore coders and they may be in a different timezone that us in the US. I have also reiterated that there really needs to be posted changelogs to their firmware AND they need to do a much better job of regression testing their firmware for Vline. Whether or not my thoughts make it to right person for considering and change is unknown but I do hope they are listening.

All that being said, it is very clear this product was rushed to market to hit their published released date as the early firmware was immature compared to where it is now. That being said, I'm still very pleased with my Vline and even more so now with latest firmware. I still have a few tweaks I'm hoping Grom will entertain and implement but I'm OK with where it is at now. Implement system to sync audio and video as an example.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You're welcome jeff442. So you know, I've conveyed some thoughts to Grom yesterday, which was I was dismayed as to why Grom's most expensive product offering doesn't offer at least same level of support as their lower tier offerings. Example, you can routinely chat regarding other offerings but it is rare you can chat with Vline support representative and instead, you must submit a ticket and wait for a response, which Grom says is typically 1-2 hours. My theory is that Grom's true tech support for this product line is offshore coders and they may be in a different timezone that us in the US. I have also reiterated that there really needs to be posted changelogs to their firmware AND they need to do a much better job of regression testing their firmware for Vline. Whether or not my thoughts make it to right person for considering and change is unknown but I do hope they are listening.

All that being said, it is very clear this product was rushed to market to hit their published released date as the early firmware was immature compared to where it is now. That being said, I'm still very pleased with my Vline and even more so now with latest firmware. I still have a few tweaks I'm hoping Grom will entertain and implement but I'm OK with where it is at now. Implement system to sync audio and video as an example.
It's funny that you say that about the chat function. I noticed the same thing. The 1-2 hour response time for submitted tickets is not at all my real world experience. When I first realized the issue with the bluetooth call screen, I actually googled and found their phone number. I called the main office and asked to speak to someone in tech support. You could tell that they were not accustomed to inbound calls, ha ha. Anyways, the person I spoke with was very helpful and admitted they were working on a firmware update. In as nice of terms as possible, he asked that I submit my requests via email going forward.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Question Jeff and Harris are u guys able to make calls from AA? I can’t seem to get it to work. It keeps on saying Bluetooth is not connected, however I can receive calls without any issues. What did u guys do to make it so that you can make calls from AA?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Question Jeff and Harris are u guys able to make calls from AA? I can’t seem to get it to work. It keeps on saying Bluetooth is not connected, however I can receive calls without any issues. What did u guys do to make it so that you can make calls from AA?
I think it depends on how you define 'make calls from AA'. While in AA mode, I can make calls by either voice command or manual entry on actual phone and when this happens it is actually using the factory system to conduct said call, or so I was told by Grom but please feel free to correct me if my information is inaccurate. I think the recent firmware that allows one to hold the menu button while in active call to get back to Grom/AA interface is a workaround, if what Grom stated is accurate that all calls use factory system.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts