Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming home from work last night after a downpour. A small car - I think it was a Saturn turned left in front of me on a very slick road. I was doing atleast 45mph. I slammed on the brakes and could see myself sliding into the Saturn and destroying it and the people inside. The anti-lock took over and at the last second I was able to swerve around the Saturn and then get back in my lane to avoid oncoming traffic. The handling was superb. Without the anti-lock I would have hit them. With it I was able to swerve around. I was absolutely amazed at how well the X handled the emergency maneuver. :cool:

I love my X. 6 months and almost 16k miles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Phinphan,

Glad to hear that you made it through that incident unscathed. Also wonderful to hear the experience of someone who's actually had to handle in an emergency type situation. Most reviews I've read rated the X pretty so-so for emergency handling, but I was curious as to 'real world' experience (since I haven't had to try that out, as yet). Thanks for the post!

Donna

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The MDX is somewhat tail happy. I have made one hard stop that was very close to panic level but never experienced anything but a solid straightline stop.
A lot has to do with whether you are braking in the middle of turning, road surface, weather, etc.
I have jumped on the gas as I was coming out of a turn and had the tail end start to move out, but it was easily contolled by letting up on the gas just a bit. As it straightened (and weight shifted accordingly) I was able to push the pedal to the metal and it continued to accelarate without a whimper.
As far as emergency handling, I hope I don't experience that. But I am confident the vehicle's tendency to swing out the tail end when pushed will be an unexpected characteristic and not something that will hinder my ability to control it. I have thought seriously of paying the $385 and going to the high performance driving school (Sears Point) and learning it's limits under the guidance of professionals. Not just because I am driving an MDX but it is something I've wanted to do with other cars for sometime now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not that you were, but this could've been avoided if you gave yourself enough room between you and the car in front, especially in a weather like that. I'm glad that the car handled great and that no one is hurt.

·
Registered
452 Posts
marlowr said:
Not that you were, but this could've been avoided if you gave yourself enough room between you and the car in front, especially in a weather like that. I'm glad that the car handled great and that no one is hurt.
I read it to mean that an oncoming car turned in front of him, not that a car he was following turned left unexpectedly.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts