Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I was referred here from the Piloteers forum.

I was informed that MDXs are available at great prices right now. I'm not exactly sure why. Could someone shed some light on that? Are the deals on the 2015's or the 2016's?

I was told that for the slightly more than the price of a Touring 2016 Pilot, you could get a much better and luxurious vehicle in the MDX. Is this true? Truecar.com does not reflect that for me so I am trying to understand what the piloteers meant.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know prices where I live (north east ohio) are similar for pilots and MDX's years 2011-2013. We were shopping for a low mileage certified pre-owned Pilot (2012-2015) over the last 2 months and they were hard to come by and Honda dealers knew it.
Example:

2012 Pilot Touring (not CPO) w/40,000 miles asking $33,500. Would not budge on price.

Purchased CPO 2012 Acura MDX Technology plus Entertainment Package, 35,000 miles, free oil changes for 2 years asking $31999.00. Paid $28,500 not including tax/title, etc. sold me the extended warranty w/ no deductible for $1184.00 so still came out $3,000 less than Pilot.

MDX is much better vehicle. Higher quality materials, better technology, strong re-sale value, better service.

I cannot speak on 2015-2016 models but my guess is that the MDX prices would be higher since the cars are only 1- 1 1/2 years old.

Better option would be a 2012-2013 MDX (body style change in 2014) with low miles. Mine had 35,000 but my wife loved the Bali Blue color so that's the one we got; there were some lease turn-ins with 20,000 or less.

Go with the Certified Pre-Owned if you can. You get an extended warranty and during their inspection if they see parts with less than 50% life left they will replace (example: tires, brakes, etc.)
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, am member of piloteers forum also, ended up here after looking to replace our '06 Pilot with a '16 Pilot. Well, didn't quite open up to the sticker shock so sought other options, and found posts over on piloteers about comparable pricing of the MDX.
I don't know what you'd consider "comparable" between the two sister brands, but MDX's are NOT selling at Pilot pricepoints. Would you consider the '16 MDX SH-AWD w/Tech, Ent & AcuraWatch Plus on the same level as the '16 Pilot Touring AWD? Because you can get the MDX for around $48K, but it's still more than the Pilot Touring by a good amount.
As for why there are deals, I really can't tell you since we've only been in the market for an MDX just this once... and so I can't compare the pricing trends.
If you follow this thread: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/71-dollars-sense/97754-2016-mdx-prices-paid.html there's a sweet spot of somewhere around $4K-5K off MSRP for the prices paid as noted by one poster there, which is also in line with our shopping experience.
For us, the current pricing of $1K-1.5K off MSRP on the '16 Pilots was not worth it...$5000 off MSRP on an MDX was. The way Honda is pricing their Pilot line, you'd think they're doing it on purpose to push the buyer towards the MDX line. IDK if it's true, but it is working on us.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Purchased CPO 2012 Acura MDX Technology plus Entertainment Package, 35,000 miles, free oil changes for 2 years asking $31999.00. Paid $28,500 not including tax/title, etc. sold me the extended warranty w/ no deductible for $1184.00
That's a fantastic price! Granted, it's been 3-year since I bought my CPO 2010, but that seems really good for a tech w/entertainment...plus the 5 free oil changes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's a fantastic price! Granted, it's been 3-year since I bought my CPO 2010, but that seems really good for a tech w/entertainment...plus the 5 free oil changes.

Yeah, I thought so too. They also gave me $9900 trade in for my '08 Pilot EX with 140,000 miles. My Pilot was in excellent condition but I was happy with the deal. Wife loves the MDX and it is the prefect size. We found the 2009-2016 Pilots to be too big for what we needed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, I thought so too. They also gave me $9900 trade in for my '08 Pilot EX with 140,000 miles. My Pilot was in excellent condition but I was happy with the deal. Wife loves the MDX and it is the prefect size. We found the 2009-2016 Pilots to be too big for what we needed.
KBB states $9,000 is high value for trade-in...private sale high value is $9,900, so you did good there too! Now, you really scored if the new MDX has a roof rack, running boards and/or tow package. :)

Congrats on the purchase!

Any chance you are around the Chicagoland area? I may need to visit that dealership during my next purchase cycle :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live in North East Ohio. My MDX does not have those but it does have wood steering wheel and shift Knob accessories, matching color door edge molding, body side molding and roof rails, splash guards (not sure if those are standard).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I was referred here from the Piloteers forum.

I was informed that MDXs are available at great prices right now. I'm not exactly sure why. Could someone shed some light on that? Are the deals on the 2015's or the 2016's?

I was told that for the slightly more than the price of a Touring 2016 Pilot, you could get a much better and luxurious vehicle in the MDX. Is this true? Truecar.com does not reflect that for me so I am trying to understand what the piloteers meant.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Hi Dan!

It is pretty simple - pricing is somewhat regional. Let me explain:

1. In the Southern California market (Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties) a 2016 Acura MDX (2wd or AWD) doesn't sell for anywhere near MSRP. They sell for far below MSRP.

2. In the same geographic market place, the 2016 Honda Pilot sells for slightly below MSRP (for 2wd) and well above MSRP for an all-wheel-drive version.

3. Hence in June/July, when I needed (2) new vehicles, I went to over 6 different Honda dealerships (in person) and contacted about 8 more dealerships by email (I basically contacted every Honda dealership within 200 miles of me).

4. In June and July, the most outrageous quotes I received for the 2016 Honda Pilot were: $5000 over MSRP for a Black on Black Elite (53K plus TTL) and then two weeks later I got an even more absurd quote for a 2016 AWD Touring (they wanted 54K plus TTL).

5. No Honda dealership was willing to sell to me - even at MSRP* (which I was briefly willing to pay because I let myself feel desperate for a day or two). No Honda dealership was willing to order a vehicle for me. I put a "*" because one dealership was willing to sell at MSRP, but they low-balled my BMW X5 trade-in by over 3K. (I already had two firm offers from Acura dealership for my trade-in for 3K more than the Honda dealer would give me).

6. Ultimately, I bought the following:
6A. 2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/ tech for $45, 210 plus TTL; (MSRP 50K)
6B. 2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/ Advance for $51,400 plus TTL (MSRP 56K)
6C. Yes, I liked the vehicles and the price so much we just bought 2.
6D. And the Acura dealerships were super easy to work with. Every Honda dealership I visited was far removed from the "helpful Honda people" commercials we are all bombarded with - not that I really care about my dealership experience since this is a financial transaction.

7. Even today in the Souther California market, there are very few AWD Pilots, and there are even fewer dealerships willing to offer them at a more reasonable price. So, for my circumstances, I made the best choice in the moment I need to make it. When left a choice between being gouged on a Honda Pilot or getting a great deal on an Acura MDX, it was no contest. (although I do wish the Acura took regular gas... but I added up the gas cost differential... and it really wasn't that much over the life of the ownership - certainly not enough to change the cost/benefit on my purchases)

Good luck in your decision!

·
Registered
357 Posts
We also looked at the new Pilot. We wanted an Elite to have all of the safety features + entertainment for kids. However the seat configuration was the biggest turn off. We have 3 kids and for safety reason would like all of them seated in the second row. MDX on the other hand has the "right" (for us) configuration. Same reason why we also steered away from Sienna AWD. I just don't get why they sacrifice a perfectly good seating space for so called "captain chairs"? I think Pilot and especially Sienna should be all about utility and decent comfort, not some fancy seats. We also have a 2014 Odyssey Elite and if it wasn't for a FWD we would never replace it with an MDX or any other van or SUV.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Best way to find out is really to find the volume dealerships in your region for both brands and ask them for their lowest prices at the end of a month on comparable models. Another user here did indeed experience the stiff pricing of a 2016 Pilot vs a 2016 MDX and ended up with a MDX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are deals out there for MDX, especially now that 2016 year models should be slowly coming out for competitors like QX60, X5 etc., I have been trying to get a decent deal on Pilot Elite as it offered more 'bang for the buck' features when compared to MDX. It's been more than 2 months since the new Pilot sale but there has been very few Elites to be found and so, the dealers are not prepared to offer anywhere below MSRP. I didn't want to wait for another 6 months to get a better pricing so ended up getting MDX Advance 2WD ($54K MSRP) for $48K + TTL. I did all the negotiations via email for several weeks before pulling the trigger last week... Excellent vehicle... Loving the ride so far.. still learning all the little features everyday!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts