Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting my wife a pda for christmas and she has expressed interest in a compaq. She has been given a demonstration of its capabilties and would fit in perfectly for her. As my signature line reads she has a Jeep Wrangler. She loves the thing. Got to admit they are fun to drive. My question is "how well does the gps receivers and software for the Ipaq work?" I have done some searches here but couldn't't find what I was looking for. I had looked at a compaq ipaq 37xx series with Pharos gps software. Does anyone have a comparable set-up? Is it accurate? I have a hard time believing they are but technology never ceases to amaze me. Apparently it has voice directions and all but if it is not accurate I feel it is more dangerous than helpful. I know the Garmin Street Pilot has been touted as a great nav alternative but the functionality of a pda is also what I am after. Any suggestions as to what type of pda or gps software would be appreciated. I know I can count on you guys when it come to electronics.:) Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The first GPS I got was a Delorme Earthmate with a cable for a Palm Pilot - it could also be hooked up to a laptop via a serial port. It came with Street Atlas (which has better coverage here than my Navi!), and for the price was a pretty cool unit. The accuracy was OK, nothing near the 12 satellite receivers on the market today, but passable. A friend of mine used it to place and locate supply caches in the Badlands.

That said, the new technologies are probably a lot better, and I'm sure you can find something pretty good for the IPAQ. If you're into GIS, check out ArcPAD, a pretty sophisticated program for a handheld - our lab has one, the graphics are spectacular. Check 'em out at www.esri.com; there's probably an add-on GPS that works with this.

One more thing while I'm rambling - I saw an integrated GPS/two-way radio on TechTV last week, looked like a pretty fun gadget.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
wardrivers like 'em...

The cost of GPS recievers/antenna keep dropping FAST. I am have seen units under $100 already, and expect to see that price cut by about half by some time in the next 6-8 months...

The differentiator will be how well the units can use all the info they recieve, and for that you will have to test the package you are considering in the vehicle/location you will be using it...

Finally, if you/your family are going be use this when DRIVING I would haveserious safety reservations about any of the non-integrated units, the effort/concentration the require to read/program is far greater than the touchscreen/voice INPUT of the factory unit...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that if the unit is not somewhat precise can be more dangerous than helpful. I would love to hear from people who have the Compaq Ipag and a GPS unit. Thank you Jeeper for that link. I spent a couple hours but could not find the answer to my question. In fact did a earch and someone had asked my very question with no response from the forum members. I realize that verbal driving prompts is one thing but I find myself using my nav to watch scrolling maps alot of the time because of the regularity of the routes. My wife lives off of Mapquest. It is the easiest way for her to plot a route. I would like to get her the PDA regardless but also have it so I don't get the "I'm lost again phone call." Again thanks for any input. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi HockeyPlayer:

___Here are a few sites I frequent and have been very helpful to me in regards to finding a PPC GPS NAVI solution …___DevExperts TravRoute recommendation is a good one according to some of the sites list above. It possibly has the best stitching (area to area map joining) of any package to date. It also includes the latest IIe/LP GPS receiver chipset with lock on capabilities far exceeding in most cases the previous generation GPS receiver units. The TTFF (time to first fix) after initialization in particular is tremendous over some of the older Navman sleeves. Don’t buy one of the older NAVMAN sleeves at all costs! I am in the PowerLok Destinator camp myself. The Destinator voice prompting sounds the best in the business. The UK site actually uploaded wav files for all to hear what the different packages sound like and the Destinator package easily came out on top in this regard. Destinator also has the most advanced GUI with a new 3D view and large POI. It appears to lack a good stitching of map data from area to area, NMEA capability until the last week or so with a fix to the 2.x SW, and its GUI is not quite up to the recently released - Navman based SmartST Pro. In other words, we really need TravRoute’s stitching, extremely fast rerouting, and its second generation sleeve. Navman’s SmartST Pro GUI – look, feel, and intuitiveness. Destinator’s advanced 3D features, very clear voice prompts, and latest Navtech maps. The fortunate item is that all of this is developing at breakneck speed with 6 month turnovers in the SW running the maps. Even RadioShack has a complete $99.00 PPC based GPS solution but it is not exactly a great solution according to the review posted up at GPS Passion.

___Good Luck and keep us informed of whatever you find as well …

PS: I thought your comments in another thread about the craning neck to look at the X’s were right on. I always point them out to my wife on the road when we pass by one as well ;)

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts