Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please be warned that the price is dropping drastically on GPS navigation units. The Garmin StreetPilot III unit with accessories that I purchased 3 weeks ago (April 4th) for $1,209.05 is dropping to $779.95 – including more up to date maps than I was provided with - at GPSCity:

http://www.gpscity.com/products/garmin/streetpilotiii.html

The 128 MB data card that I paid $259.95 for, and the unlock codes for all of the data on the Mapsource City Navigator CD-ROM disc that cost me $189.95, will be included for “free” in the Garmin StreetPilot III deluxe package starting in early June. Once you purchase and use one of these units, you can’t return it or take advantage of any 30-day price guarantee. Simply put, I am stuck paying what I did!

The StreetPilot III is an excellent unit and I really enjoy it, but watch out buying a relatively new model GPS unit because the price will likely drop drastically over a short period of time. Considering just how good the StreetPilot III is, there is no way that the Acura unit is still worth $2,000 – at least in my opinion. With respect to relative value, I’m not sure that it’s (Acura’s GPS unit) worth more than $1,000! What do you think about this?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well, the matter of worth it or not depends on how much you are willing to pay for it. The very fact that the 188 models sell more than the rest of the MDX models says that folks think it is worth it. I like the navigation system and how else could I get it other than paying the extra $2K for it?

On a recent trip to LA, I rented a car with a navigation system. Until I experienced that piece of crap, I didn't realize how good the Acura Navigation system was. I believe that the factory installed system is certainly better than the ones out there. I am not sure which system Hertz installs in their cars, but that's what I am comparing this to.

However, at $779, I think that the Gremlin is a good price and might consider it for my wife's car.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GCK...

"Well, the matter of worth it or not depends on how much you are willing to pay for it."

A few years ago, I may have agreed that that was true, but after the debacle in the technology stocks, I no longer do. Were those stocks really worth what people were paying for them two years ago? Obviously not! On a lighter and more humorous note – well, my attempt anyway – I just ate at an Arby’s restaurant where their drinks come in three sizes and prices. Small drinks are 99 cents, medium drinks sell for $1.15, large drinks cost $1.49, and refills are free. The fact that refills were free was clearly posted right below the prices. The restaurant was busy and everyone I saw had a large drink but me – I had a small drink, which I refilled three times. The fact the others were willing to pay $1.49 for a drink doesn’t convince me that what they paid was worth it. :D

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
oceanMDX,
I am sure that the Garmin is an excellent unit but it is not integrated with the dashboard like in the MDX. Even in some of the other luxury cars, navis are pop-ups which still isn't as good in my opinion. The complete integration is the primary reason I bought the MDX Navi so even if the Garmin unit were cheaper and had better functionality, I wouldn't buy it. For my wife's Subaru, which does not have a Navi option, it would be a consideration however my wife nixed it since it wasn't integrated like the one in my MDX. So price a functionality are not the sole criteria for folks that opted for the factory Navi.

The price decline issue is inherent in most any technology. Look at computers or DVD players. Therefore not purchasing a navi system because the price might go down next month is not a good rationale in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
remery...

Regarding Acura's nav system, I like the position of the screen. It's very well placed and because of that they were able to make the screen larger than is practical for a unit mounted on the dash. To be sure, the integration aspect is also very appealing. However, for those of us who own more than one vehicle, a mobile nav unit is very advantageous.

Regarding waiting to buy because you think that the price might drop is not the issue here because the price (on the Garmin StreetPilot III deluxe) is going to drop by over $400 on June 3th, not might. This fact is posted at GPSCity's web site.

The price decline issue is inherent in most any technology. Look at computers or DVD players.

I haven't heard that Acura is reducing the price of its nav unit. Perhaps they ought to.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nav Unit

The integrated Nav unit is probably the one of the principal reasons I bought the MDX - period. If you let Moore's law of economics guide your technology buying decisions, you would never purchase anything.

In just the same way I would never purchase say a Pentium IV computer with the trimmings and then after the purchase (beyond any price protection period) check the Dell or Gateway web site to watch the price fall through the floor or see a better equipped faster computer sell for the same price - I would never second-guess my decision to buy the Nav unit.

The $2K for the integrated nav is definitely a premium price but it is certainly in line with Nav systems from other luxury automakers. As far as ascribing $2K worth of value to the Nav - it is akin to the entertainment systems that you can slap in for $500 to $1K or buy factory installed and nicely integrated with the vehicle (say as in the Ody) for $2K. This integration represents the price differential and worth the owners that seems to elude the originator of this post.

If you didn't get the Nav the first time around, just remember to in a '03 or '04. It really makes this car complete.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hey GCK,

Sorry to hear that you and the wife are not getting along. Wow, what did she do to you to threaten her with a Gremlin? Must have been a doosie!!

:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mdxpecting...I think you missed my point...

Originally, I wanted to get the Acura nav unit, but no matter what, it simply was impossible to get in an MDX purchased in Canada. The only other option for Canadian buyers is to obtain one of the after-market nav units. Now that I have one of these mobile nav units, I'm glad that I don't have the Acura system chiefly because of the advantages of portability, lower cost and option to upgrade to future technology such as a nav unit with heads-up-display (HUD).

I agree that having the nav unit fully integrated with the MDX is worth some premium. It's what that premium should be that is in question and the reason I starting this thread. If you reread my original post on this thread, you will notice that I suggested that Acura's nav unit was worth more that the StreetPilot III. So the "premium for integration" didn't elude me as you suggest.;)

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
srpbep....

Hey GCK,
Sorry to hear that you and the wife are not getting along. Wow, what did she do to you to threaten her with a Gremlin? Must have been a doosie!!

I didn't know that Gremlins were still on the road. Weren't they built by American Motors Corporation? I wouldn't want to pay anymore than $779 for one of those old clankers! :D ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts