Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 mdx. Anyone did an update on the gps. How do you check to see what yr is loaded on the hd

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Unless it has changed recently...

Updates are only offered once a year in the fall for $199+$4 shipping, down to $149+$4 shipping around mid-winter, and as low as $99+$4 shipping late spring/early summer. It is the same map update with zero version updates for the entire calendar year. You have to submit your VIN, Device serial number, and database version. Acura will send the update DVD with an one-time passcode unique to your MDX's VIN (can't buy/resell used navi DVDs on eBay like with the old CD-ROM navi).

I haven't found a way to preview the updated maps before purchase to see what was updated. I don't know if the update also does any firmware updates to the system or bluetooth system? Once you purchase, you can't downgrade to the previous unless you know how to use the tech service menu. I usually just update the map every 3-4 years when prices drop to $99. I do have a 19 MDX with carplay and switch to that navi depending on the situation.

Acura Update Link:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Acura has found away to give you the worst maps and charge the most to update. I was once in a small town. Probably 100 years old. On Main Street. The Nav system told me it was not a mapped road. As told,there is no way to know what has been updated. Figure the new maps you receive are at least 2 years old. Hopefully the next generation will be better. Love the car. Hate the Navigation.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I use phone GPS more than built-in GPS, with exception of in area that phone doesn't have much service and have difficult to create the route or keep showing off the route. As elvisfan indicated, there is no way to know what has been updated. Last time I ordered the update, it missed a section of road around my area because it was closed for widening about 1~2 years ago.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to one and all who took the time to respond to my post. On the fence on whether to buy 'upgrade' map

·
Registered
54 Posts
Considering you can buy a brand new TomTom or Garmin GPS with unlimited lifetime map updates via wifi, real-time traffic, traffic camera alerts, and phone integration for the same price.... I would really struggle to see the benefit of paying that much for a nav DVD for the Acura.
While a Garmin unit wont be integrated with the car, you can at least use it while you are in motion, it will always have service, and you'd have the option to move it into another vehicle that doesn't have navigation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like my 2017 MDX Hybrid but the nav system is terrible. I have given up on updates and just use my phone or my Garmin, either is cheaper then the upgrade to a system that has failed me more times then helped. Wish I had a 2018 with the Android auto/Apple carplay . I will never buy a map upgrade for the installed Acura system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts