Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooooo

Some of you may know Acura in all its stupidity decided to make the Auto Day & Night rear view mirror Optional for the 2007 MDX? If you didn´t know, Now you know... Just for 2007 Acura screwed up with everybody that bought an MDX by removing the STANDARD Auto Dim rear view mirror from the 2006 1G MDX and made it optional for the 2007... Yeah JUST for 1 Year because they decided to make it Standard Yet Again for the 2008 and Beyond...

Not only Acura was stupid enough to remove a Standard Feature they also CRIPPLED us with an INFERIOR Rear View Mirror BASE...
Instead of the Blade Type we all know and love they used the CHEAPEST Base they used in all of its Honda Lineup known as the Wedge Base.

This made it incompatible for people buying the 2008 Auto Dim rear view mirror to install it on the 2007 since in 2008 they switched to the Blade Base making it impossible to retrofit to the 2007 from ANY Acura lineup.

We had to use a very SPECIFIC Auto Dim rear view mirror (Part No: 08V03-SDA-100B) which not only auto-dims but also has an integrated compass (Not available on the standard auto dim in all other MDXs). But what do you know? Acura sold that bastard for over 150bucks! its even almost next to impossible to find it used on ebay today.... You can only buy it NEW which will run you 150-200 bucks just for the Rear View Mirror you also need the special cable that connects it which will run you another 50 bucks! So all in all in order to get the Auto Dim (Which is Standard on my 2002 Acura TL Type-S BTW) you have to dish out almost 250 bucks so you can install it yourself.

So I went for some HUNTING... In México!
Long story short after 6 hours of search under 100°F heat and looked at over 300 different Hondas in almost 10 different ("Yonkes" = Junkyards).. EUREKA!

This MOFO was hiding in a mint Honda Pilot from 2006... All in all with the cable (Which does not work on my MDX I might have to hack it together to work), Cable cover, Mirror and Spring? 15 bucks... Yeah Fifteen Dollars... You gotta love México....

Now its time to make this bastard work.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well just hacked the wires together...
If anyone is interested in hardwiring the rear view mirror so you can use the wires from a different car:

OEM MDX Cables (4 pin socket only 3 pins used)
Black = Ground
Pink = +12v Reverse
Yellow = +12v Ignition

Wires coming from the Rear View Mirror (7 pin socket only 3 pins used):
Black = Ground
Black/Yellow = +12v Ignition
Green = +12v Reverse

Picture Installed and in Working Order... All in for just 15 bucks.... Fifteen BUCKS!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice! I was wondering why I have that out of place mirror in the MDX. It looks like an after thought. I have $30 for your next mexico trip lol.

Well just hacked the wires together...
If anyone is interested in hardwiring the rear view mirror so you can use the wires from a different car:

OEM MDX Cables (4 pin socket only 3 pins used)
Black = Ground
Pink = +12v Reverse
Yellow = +12v Ignition

Wires coming from the Rear View Mirror (7 pin socket only 3 pins used):
Black = Ground
Black/Yellow = +12v Ignition
Green = +12v Reverse

Picture Installed and in Working Order... All in for just 15 bucks.... Fifteen BUCKS!!!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice! I was wondering why I have that out of place mirror in the MDX. It looks like an after thought. I have $30 for your next mexico trip lol.

Funny enough I don't think I could find a second one... I found mine in the very last Junkyard I was willing to walk around under the 100*F weather I was done for the day... It was just in the last Junkyard I found it and it was the ONLY ONE that got it.

The issue is this.. Honda cars did not have a Standard Auto dim rear view mirror until 2010 and they all used the new Blade Base so they were basically the same Auto dims Acura used since the 3G TL and so on... So in order to found this specific auto dim some one with a Honda had to pay Honda around 500 bucks (labor and parts) to install our Auto dim... You can find it on: Odysseys, Pilots, Accords, Civics, Ridgelines from 2004 to 2009 ONLY IF they option it on.. Sooo even if you gave me 50 bucks It would be very hard to find one on the last 2 junkyards I didn't visit...

I looked over in Ensenada, Tijuana and finally found it in Mexicali... So 3 cities, +20 Junkyards and over 500 Hondas looked over... Mexicali had the most wrecked Hondas state wide.

Your best bet will be to use the Wedge to Blade adapter base and use the 2008 auto dim, It will not cost you 15 bucks though....That was my route if I didn't find it.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Hi, I do not really understand the difference between wedge base vs. blade base. Can someone share a picture? Also can we just buy a different base? I think we just need to use a hair dryer to melt the glue and put a new one one, right?

I also see a hole in the headliner near the rear view mirror. How can one peel back the headliner and put the cable in? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
My mirror is simply glued to the windshield. Is the blade type screwed to the base and has an 'arm' to support the mirror like this one?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the normal "Blade" base used in pretty much all other MDXs:

This is the special "Wedge" base used ONLY on the 2007 MDX:

They both stick to the glass like normal but are not interchangeable so you cannot use a Blade specific Mirror on a Wedge base and Vice-versa.

There are adapters in the wild:

BUT Bear in mind the OG Spring is not designed to carry the weight of an Auto-Dimming rear view mirror that is why the kit contains a new spring.. I tried mine with the stock spring and it kept falling off as the OG spring does not have enough tension to carry the weight, So that adapter will only work to replace standard non-Auto-dimming rear view mirrors.

So your only real option is getting the specific auto-dimming rear view mirror for the 2007 MDX.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My mirror is simply glued to the windshield. Is the blade type screwed to the base and has an 'arm' to support the mirror like this one?
The part you see near the glass is not an "ARM" is a little plastic cover for the Auto-Dimming wire, It does not support any weight at all.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
This is the normal "Blade" base used in pretty much all other MDXs:

This is the special "Wedge" base used ONLY on the 2007 MDX:

They both stick to the glass like normal but are not interchangeable so you cannot use a Blade specific Mirror on a Wedge base and Vice-versa.

There are adapters in the wild:

BUT Bear in mind the OG Spring is not designed to carry the weight of an Auto-Dimming rear view mirror that is why the kit contains a new spring.. I tried mine with the stock spring and it kept falling off as the OG spring does not have enough tension to carry the weight, So that adapter will only work to replace standard non-Auto-dimming rear view mirrors.

So your only real option is getting the specific auto-dimming rear view mirror for the 2007 MDX.
Wait, the seller of the mirror specifically said that he took the auto dimming mirror off a 2007 MDX. Does it mean that this one is the correct one with wedge base? Here is a picture of the mirror being sold.

Further, I think the base can be easily swapped, right? When windshield is replaced, it will be removed and re-glued on. So why is replacing the base a big deal?

Suppose the seller is knowledgeable and it is removed from 2007 with that option, what else do I need to do to put it on? By a single adapter cable? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is not the OEM mirror for the 2007.. He probably had the windshield replaced for a 2008 model that has a blade base.
As for ungluing the wedge base, yes its possible but Its also possible you crack the window in the process.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Because its an obvious blade design, It even has the hole for the small bolt it needs to get tightened.
Wedge mirrors do not need bolts as they are friction installed, they depend on a spring to get tightened.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you tell that the mirror is not for 2007?

I have three rock chips on my windshield. It is a matter of time that I replace it. I shall remember to buy a different base to go with it. A 2008 auto dimming mirror is not that expensive. Only $35 from ebay
You cant, The base comes PRE-INSTALLED from the factory... You need to change the Windshield to a 2008 model to get the blade base.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
You cant, The base comes PRE-INSTALLED from the factory... You need to change the Windshield to a 2008 model to get the blade base.
I see. Thanks. I did not expect the base to come from Windshield. Always thought the windshield installer will just transfer the old base from the old windshield to the new windshield. BTW, do you have the part number for that special mirror that is only for 2007 MDX? Is it part of the sport or entertainment trim? I have never seen an option for that mirror when buying my car. If it goes with those higher trim, it won't be too hard b/c they are not very hard to find.

But if the spring in my base is too heavy, you also implied that I won't be able to install that OEM mirror w/o swapping out the base? Is that what you mean? But then it will contradict the experience of these guys

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/42812-2007-mdx-installation-auto-dim-rear-view-mirror.html

Just now I tried to remove my current rear view mirror. Just turn counter clock wise and pull down. It actually took me quite some effort to get it out. So I am hopeful that it can hold the correct mirror, which should not be too much heavier. When I put it back on, however, I did not feel a clear click signaling that the mirror has been correctly reinstalled. Is this normal?

Also what is the correct way to install the cable? I flipped the sun glass holder up and saw two screws. Are there any other screws I need to remove? After the removal, would the headliner simply fall down to give me the access needed to install the mirror? Thans.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Part number is in the OP: "We had to use a very SPECIFIC Auto Dim rear view mirror (Part No: 08V03-SDA-100B) which not only auto-dims but also has an integrated compass"

Your OEM mirror already has a spring (Silver Spring) although this spring is only designed for the weight of the standard Non-Auto/Dimming rear view mirror.. When you buy 08V03-SDA-100B it comes with a new HD Spring (Black Spring) designed to hold the heavier Auto/Dimming rear view mirror.. You just swap them out the base remains the same.

NOTE: OEM SILVER SPRING WONT HOLD THE AUTO-DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR 08V03-SDA-100B it is at least 4x heavier than the OEM

The electric wiring needs you to remove the map light/sun roof control piece.. The electric wire for the Auto-dimming rear view mirror is there held to the chassis of the car.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As you can see if you want to buy it new its around 200 bucks...
It is also extremely RARE to find it used Online... So your only hope is to search in junkyards like I did.

That part is not UNIQUE to the MDX.. It came as an OPTION for a lot of Honda vehicles, I found mine in a Honda Pilot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts