Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly surprised the rear didn't get absolutely demolished. I'd show what happened to the sedan that hit me but it's pretty brutal (their license plate ended up on top of my tires) For context, we were at a complete stop and I hear a loud ass tire squeal then bam, right into me. It was so hard it made my car thrust forward into the van in front of me and so on to like 2 more cars in front of that. The front doesn't look like much but that's because the rear bumper of the van went into the area under the license plate. Hurt like a mf. Waiting for adjuster to contact me
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel
Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I hope there wasn't any injuries for all involved. It might be fixable if the frame isn't bent and no airbags deployed. You could be good as new if it is just replacing parts and repainting. The big issue will be waiting on parts and any electronic components like back up sensors, BSI radar, cross traffic sensors. You might be in a loaner for a while.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
431 Posts
Looking at the exterior damage, it doesn't look like total loss to me. Did airbags deploy? Front, rear bumper, tailgate and possibly few components behind rear bumper. My guess is less than 10k damage. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Be sure to claim for diminished value because when the repair shows on Carfax your trade-in value will suffer by a several thousand dollars. The guilty party's insurance will probably fight it so you might need to find a lawyer that specializes in DV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know the status of the person in the sedan since they were carried off to the hospital, but other than them no one was injured, just a gnarly headache for a day.
No airbags were deployed, hopefully it's as simple as just the exterior then and a few electronics
I'm in Ontario where diminished value claims practically doesn't exist sadly, and are rarely won in court so i'm SOL for that as far as I know

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
My MDX has been into 2 rear end collisions. Your MDX is perfectly fine and is repairable. Ask the body shop for a new lift gate and rear bumper. It shouldn't cost more than $5k at all, including the tail light. The frame will need to be realigned too. Front plastic is cheap too. So it would not be a total loss.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Glad you are OK. All things considered, it looks to me like the car took it like a champ. Hopefully it'll get fixed on the other guy's dime and you'll be back driving it soon.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Damnit that sucks. The autobody shop can fix that. I have seen worse.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
OP: I think I could sell you a rear bumper. I still have my OEM non-Aspec bumper in the garage. All it needs is a mid-plastic section and paint match to match your paint. Let me know if you are interested. Bumpers will take ages since they are outsourced to a different country in Asia.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Be sure to claim for diminished value because when the repair shows on Carfax your trade-in value will suffer by a several thousand dollars. The guilty party's insurance will probably fight it so you might need to find a lawyer that specializes in DV.
Definitely push for this. I don't think you initially need to get a lawyer involved, but don't sign anything or accept payment as payment in full until it is resolved. When you raise the issue they may come back with an offer. To get a ballpark amount, you might ask your dealer how much the repair will affect the value.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
OP, when you do a DV claim, make sure you have all the documentations you need. Definitely need couple documents for how much of a loss you would have taken if you were to trade in or sell the vehicle. Also look at similar comps to your vehicle w/ light to moderate damage listed on its used car report. And prepare to shrewedly negotiate with the DV department; getting a lawyer for DV is literally pointless unless the vehicle suffered severe damage and they lowballed you by a couple football fields (talkin in thousands), and will not budge.

Definitely push for this. I don't think you initially need to get a lawyer involved, but don't sign anything or accept payment as payment in full until it is resolved. When you raise the issue they may come back with an offer. To get a ballpark amount, you might ask your dealer how much the repair will affect the value.
Gotta fight for it. Progressive was hard but I wasn't happy with the DV I got from them but it was better than what they originally offered.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Front hood, grill, camera, Rear bumper cover, trim, bumper reinforcement, rear hatch, front bumper cover, and maybe rear quarter panel needs to be straightened. It has an unibody, not frame and the repair will be straight forward. Make sure you are medically compensated for whiplash. My guess on the repair is $8000 USD @$150 hr labor charge

·
Registered
35 Posts
Forgot to add - if the front seat back support buckled from the impact, make sure the seat frame gets a replacement. Most likely suffered a structural damage and no longer safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honestly surprised the rear didn't get absolutely demolished. I'd show what happened to the sedan that hit me but it's pretty brutal (their license plate ended up on top of my tires) For context, we were at a complete stop and I hear a loud ass tire squeal then bam, right into me. It was so hard it made my car thrust forward into the van in front of me and so on to like 2 more cars in front of that. The front doesn't look like much but that's because the rear bumper of the van went into the area under the license plate. Hurt like a mf. Waiting for adjuster to contact me View attachment 118011 View attachment 118012 View attachment 118013
Hope you got checked out at a medical facility. The area of impact is almost exactly where I got hit once. Myself and two passengers were injured with back injuries. The two passengers required immediate care. Curiously, my injury didn't show up for about a month. But because I got checked out on the day of the accident, insurance covered two years of treatment without hassle. My lawyer said had I not gotten checked out, there would have been a fight over the treatment cost. I may have still won, but would have had to ante up treatment cost for a while. At least that was the rule where I was. I'm sure different areas have different rules. Hopefully, all will be well; with the MDX, and especially you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For anyone that wanted updates:
  • It is not totaled, and will take about a month to complete repairs but seems like you all knew that already haha
  • I'll post pics of the finished repairs :)
  • As for the DV claim you guys have been asking me to pursue, it'll be a hit and miss in Ontario since we have an no-fault law, I'll see how it goes though. If anyone has done a DV claim in Ontario before please msg me and let me know how you pursued it!
  • I currently have no medical issues at all right now, as far as I can tell I seem/feel perfectly fine (thankfully) but I will get checked out when I have the time.

A big thanks to everyone for the input and repairs recommendation, helps a ton as this is my first accident!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts