Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the Max version, $835 shipped including the wheels, hitch lock, and harness adapter. Very high quality, it took me about an hour to put together by myself. Loading was more difficult by myself due to the hitch hole alignment. The wheels really helped dragging it up to the hitch and then just lift/push in there.
Ready for our first road-trip the end of the month hauling 6 people. MDX back-up camera is useless when using the box so I've added a wireless back up camera, it's not great since I cannot see the width of the box for back up due to the install-spot, but it works fine when I need to see how close I am to bumping into stuff.
I decided to get the Hitch cargo box because my wife and I are set on getting a model Y/X as our next SUV and I can reuse the box.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Niiice. I was planning to do the same for camping. Really helps to be able to carry my camping gear in the trunk and all the firewood in the stow away. But for now, I went cheap. Got a hitch basket, a roof/basket bag, and ratcheting straps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you like those running boards? Are they functional?
I really like them. My kids use them all the time to climb up in the back and onto their car seats. And the plus side is that they prevent sedans from dinging my doors since the boards are sticking out further and sit higher than sedan's doors.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a link to where got them? Do they get in the way for adults?
If you're talking about the running boards, they are the oem ones and I had the dealer installed them for around $900 total. It was a tedious process so I didn't want to do it by myself. I did the roof rail and hitch myself that I got from ebay during their 15% off sale.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes running boards. Do they get in the way entering and exiting for adults?
They don't if you use them. When I first got them I wasn't used to them and entered the vehicle without stepping on them and sometimes hit my ankle on the board since it is sticking out. Other adults I have taken never had problems.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Looks good, Phong! I hope that you will like it as much as we like ours.

One minor security measure that I took with mine is on the pivot bolt. A thief can unscrew this bolt and carry the box off. The bolt is not hardened. So I drilled a hole in it and installed a padlock. I talked to the people at Stowaway about this, and they acknowledged that it could happen but were not aware of any incidents. We are always on the move when we are using this box, so stealing the box this way would be a crime of opportunity and thieves would likely not be familiar with the box so they wouldn’t think to look at the bolt, and they could spring the top anyway, so it is more a quirk on my part than a real need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts