Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to wwhale and others on the board, I was able to get and install a compact spare and jack kit for our SH-SHAWD. I wanted to get it when I purchased the car, but the dealer wanted $210 for the kit minus the wheel.
The Acura kit which includes the jack, lug wrench, hoist and hardware and a donut steel wheel and stickers. I purchased a Kuhmo 165-90-17 temp spare from tire rack for $77. My wife just so happened to drive through Delaware for work so she picked it up from their New Castle warehouse. Took the tire and got it mounted at a local shop for $15.
I bought the kit from Bernardi and it was $52 plus shipping which is $20 off MSRP. The P/N is 06421-TZ5-A61 so you can possibly pick one up at your local Acura dealer and not have to pay shipping.
I ended up ordering wiper inserts and other accessories so all the discounts more than paid for the shipping cost for me.
It took me about 15-20 minutes to install everything. All you need is a socket set with 12mm socket to install the hoist. A 3" extension helps but is not totally needed.
So including the $16 that I paid for shipping the kit, I paid less than $180 for everything and have the piece of mind of having a usable spare tire in an emergency instead of a can of fix a flat.

Reactions: Ruyehara47

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Thanks to wwhale and others on the board, I was able to get and install a compact spare and jack kit for our SH-SHAWD. I wanted to get it when I purchased the car, but the dealer wanted $210 for the kit minus the wheel.
The Acura kit which includes the jack, lug wrench, hoist and hardware and a donut steel wheel and stickers. I purchased a Kuhmo 165-90-17 temp spare from tire rack for $77. My wife just so happened to drive through Delaware for work so she picked it up from their New Castle warehouse. Took the tire and got it mounted at a local shop for $15.
I bought the kit from Bernardi and it was $52 plus shipping which is $20 off MSRP. The P/N is 06421-TZ5-A61 so you can possibly pick one up at your local Acura dealer and not have to pay shipping.
I ended up ordering wiper inserts and other accessories so all the discounts more than paid for the shipping cost for me.
It took me about 15-20 minutes to install everything. All you need is a socket set with 12mm socket to install the hoist. A 3" extension helps but is not totally needed.
So including the $16 that I paid for shipping the kit, I paid less than $180 for everything and have the piece of mind of having a usable spare tire in an emergency instead of a can of fix a flat.
So there is room underneath for a spare. Does it hang down too much?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I thought all AWD model came with spare and the FWD model dont have them.
The sport hybrid MDX starts life as a FWD MDX with hybrid hardware added. One of the reason why the sh-sh-awd doesn't have a spare tire or hardware included along with:
- no towing with sport hybrid and you need a full size spare if you need to do real towing
- weight savings excluding the spare with addition of hybrid system
- sport hybrid made for close to home stop-and-go city traffic
- almost no mpg advantage having the sh-sh-awd MDX if you rack up a lot hwy mileage

·
Registered
64 Posts
the compact spare does not hang down, a full size one would, no MDX comes from the factory with a full size spare, only compact doughnuts, you can get a compact spare for the hybrid from theparts department, list is over $500, ordering on line well under $200, 15 minutes top to install winch, rim from dealer, lug wrench from dealer, tire from Tire Rack

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't believe the hybrid starts as a FWD model as it has a different engine (3 liter not 3.5, I understand this was to get a break on tariff for China with smaller engine).
Even if mostly highway I find mileage well over 28 consistently, many time 30 to 32 in the almost 4000 miles I have on mine.
The 7 speed dual clutch is so much better then the 9 speed that I think that is reason enough to buy the Hybrid.
Hardly a "close to home" driver!
I doubt leaving off the spare was to save weight anymore then it would be on the FWD version, all about less $$$
Just my opinions

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I don't believe the hybrid starts as a FWD model as it has a different engine (3 liter not 3.5, I understand this was to get a break on tariff for China with smaller engine).
Even if mostly highway I find mileage well over 28 consistently, many time 30 to 32 in the almost 4000 miles I have on mine.
The 7 speed dual clutch is so much better then the 9 speed that I think that is reason enough to buy the Hybrid.
I doubt leaving off the spare was to save weight anymore then it would be on the FWD version, all about less $$$
Just my opinions
The 3.0L V-6, front electric motor, and 7DCT is part of the sport hybrid hardware along with battery under the front seats and rear twin motors.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I like the fact that there is no idle/stop on the hybrid. Yes the motor shuts down. But the car doesn't shut down. You don't have to wait until the car starts to move out.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Just my opinions
Difference of opinion. I have no doubt that all the cars having no spare and run flat tires is to save weight. Less weight equals more mileage.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Full size spare will fit under any MDX with no meaningful impact on ground clearance. OEM hitch is designed to allow fitment of full size spare, not that this matters for sport hybrid ( ahem... ). If nothing else, it is desirable to be able to stash the flat full size wheel/tire you swap for the donut, without kicking Grandma and her luggage to the curb.

From a design standpoint, all MDXs start out as FWD with optional addition of AWD hardware. Sport hybrid is no different.

"The 7 speed dual clutch is so much better then the 9 speed that I think that is reason enough to buy the Hybrid." Amen, brother, Amen!

As for less weight vs. lower price, I'm reminded of the old "lite" beer commercial: "Great taste", "Less filling". The answer is Yes. The other answer is a target demographic that couldn't swap a wheel if their life depended on it.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I just ordered a spare tire kit. The dealer is charging me $400 installed. A donut spare. It’s worth it. It’s my wife’s car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello everyone, new to this site and I'm looking at purchasing a spare tire kit for my 2017 SH-AWD Tech hybrid. acuraoemparts.com says that I should get part number is 06421-TZ5-A61. Is this the kit for the donut spare?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts