Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPS dropped off the tires late today.
I inspected all the tires and one of the tires side wall look not normal. The side wall looks like it was press in. Is this ok to install or return for another one?

Three of them date code 5016
And one date code is 3517

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
870 Posts
The oddball is newer than the others, so it's not like it was a reject sitting in the back of the warehouse. Were the tires banded together for transport? 35psi of pressure and a gentle massage by a 2 ton SUV will probably smooth out those "dents", but see what the installation shop says.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The oddball is newer than the others, so it's not like it was a reject sitting in the back of the warehouse. Were the tires banded together for transport? 35psi of pressure and a gentle massage by a 2 ton SUV will probably smooth out those "dents", but see what the installation shop says.

The tires were individual shipped. It looks like this particular tire was sitting in a warehouse with tie band on for too long.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
You refuse to spend a couple bucks replacing a valve stem, but now refuse tires with cosmetic damage?

I'm still thinking you're a troll.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Are you sure it cosmetic? Too many dents all around the side wall.
If you want to return the tire then that's your pejorative. I'm merely point out that you're inconsistent in your logic and complaints.

You risk lives driving on a damaged tire with an unsafe repair.
You refuse to replace a damaged valve stem.
But you complain about potentially cosmetic issue to a tire.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want to return the tire then that's your pejorative. I'm merely point out that you're inconsistent in your logic and complaints.

You risk lives driving on a damaged tire with an unsafe repair.

You refuse to replace a damaged valve stem.

But you complain about potentially cosmetic issue to a tire.

First my valve stems are not damaged but they told me I should replace them.

So you asked me to check the date code on these tires and there are:
5016 and 3517.

·
Registered
798 Posts
This whole thread is LOL but OP, you're fine. It's just a combination of cold weather and shipping straps as it looks to me. If you're really paranoid, put them in a bathroom and run the shower on hot and/or take a blow dryer or heat gun to it.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This whole thread is LOL but OP, you're fine. It's just a combination of cold weather and shipping straps as it looks to me. If you're really paranoid, put them in a bathroom and run the shower on hot and/or take a blow dryer or heat gun to it.

It looks bad I think the rubber is permanently deformed. They just shipped me a replacement for free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
UPS dropped off the tires late today.
I inspected all the tires and one of the tires side wall look not normal. The side wall looks like it was press in. Is this ok to install or return for another one?

Three of them date code 5016
And one date code is 3517

I'd send them back and get the Continental LX20 it's a better match for the MDX.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Continental LX20 is junk!

Wrong. LX20 is a superior crossover tire. The LTX would be great on a Suburban or F150. I've had a set go for 100k and another at 65k that still looks somewhat newish. Great truck tire. Unfortunately Michelin only offers two tires this time around and the other (Premier) is a car tire dressed as a SUV offering.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
LX20 is a superior crossover tire.

When I check TireRack rankings, the Michelin Premier LTX is #1 in the OPs size. The Continental LX20 comes in at #4.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Conti LX20 is a mediocre tire no matter what you put it on. Michelin Defender LTX looks "truckish" because of the blocky edge tread, and it has a little more road noise than the Contis, but otherwise hard to tell the difference in comfort or handling from any other "crossover/light truck tire" IMO. These definitions are very blurry these days. But I agree Premier LTX is more of a car tire, for better or worse.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had the same concerns when i got some Generals for my TL.
The sidewalls showed a slight indent, VERY similar to posted pics.

I immediately called the retailer, and inquired about the dents.
I was advised these dents are normal and found often whether the tire is properly inflated or not.

Ive been riding on those tires now for 2 years.. >> smooth ride
:)
J.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
When I check TireRack rankings, the Michelin Premier LTX is #1 in the OPs size. The Continental LX20 comes in at #4.
He bought the Defender LTX which is a completely different class of tire. I've run the previous version of the Defender (LTX M/S2) on many vehicles and it's a terrific TRUCK tire. No way they handle anything like a touring tire such as the Premier or LX20.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.