Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my SS base MDX about two weeks ago. Thanks to everyone here for all the info and advice.

I had the dealer install the towing package and BSMs, and he threw in the "protection package" (rear mud flaps, cargo tray and wheel locks). He also gave me a nice little wash bucket with a wash mitt, some Honda glass cleaner and polish, a bottle of touch up paint, and an Acura t-shirt. I even got the infamous pen and Acura key ring. I paid MSRP.

The next day, I had Sports Rack install Thule 54 inch tracks, tracker feet and crossbars, and upgraded the tires to Michelin Cross-Terrains (including a full size spair). I also put on some door edge guards, and a Form Fit front air deflector.

I put a Thule Evolution 1600 cargo box and a Thule Big Mouth bike mount on top, a Yakima Getaway 4-bike rack on the receiver hitch, climbed in with the wife, three kids, one child's friend and the family dog, and headed for the mountains!

This is one great vehicle. It handles beautifully, even fully loaded with six people, our dog (and her crate), five bikes and lots of luggage. After six years of driving a Chevy Tahoe, I found driving fun again!

Only disapointments so far: The cover over the front cup holders broke after about a week (will be talking to the dealer about that) and, while I am pleased with the gas mileage, I was surprised by the limited range one gets with the relatively small gas tank. Furtunately, I haven't experienced any of the squeeks, rattles or clunks yet (although I can hear the gas tank slosh).

Bottom line: I am very happy (although I still smart over the amount vehicles cost these days).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Congratulations on your new MDX purchase.

You sure wasted no time adding on some useful stuff to better utilize your good looking rig.

Is it difficult to get things in that cargo box and to get the bike on top? The MDX is relatively tall.

I'm in the process of looking for a hitch mounted bike rack that can also be converted to carry sky's

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. I had a couple of months to look around and order the accessories while waiting for my MDX. I found this forum invaluable.

I mounted the Thule box close to the side (easier to do with the Thule rack than the factory rack), and found it easy to access. I stood in the rear doorway While loading it. This box opens from either side, and has struts that keep it open. It has quick mount clamps that allow one to put it on and take it off easily and quickly.

I found I needed someone to help put the bike on the roof rack. Again, I stood in the rear doorway, and my daughter helped me lift the bike up and steady it while I attached the clamp.

All in all, not too hard. I am not a tall person.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back from Scout Overnight Camp

Took my son to an overnight camp with his scout troop. Pulled a small utility trailer with all the boys' stuff. Worked like a charm. Still lovin' my MDX.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
OVER HILL ... OVER DALE YOU CAN FIND EM EVERYWHERE!

Acura really should speak to you guys and use these pics ya'll are taking. SWEET!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts