Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up our new 03 Sandstone Touring Navi last Thursday night and for the most part, are very happy with it. It drives like a dream for an SUV and I think my wife genuinely likes it. That being said, I have noticed some things that bother me:

All the paint on the vehicle has a "graininess" at the surface. When you look at the reflection off the glossy surface, it is quite apparent that it is not smooth. This characteristic is consistent all over the vehicle. Does it take time to cure out and become glossy? Can it actually be wet sanded smooth by the dealership? Or will it require a repaint? There is no way in hell that I will allow the vehicle to be repainted; if the paint cannot be buffed out we will seek a replacement vehicle.

The windshield has an annoying distortion low at the center; it's like a band running across the bottom that causes an annoying distortion of oncoming roadway.

The driver's inside door panel has an indentation at the front top where it meets the tweeter housing. It looks like someone shoved a screwdriver in there. Gonna have to get it replaced.
The vinyl edge of the door panel was sticking out under the door handle surround on the driver's door, but I coerced it back in with my fingernails.

I think the stereo absolutely sucks ass. It sounds like a typical factory system, with boomy midbass, weak muddy bass, muddled midrange, and terrible highs. If my wife will let me, I'll install new front and rear speakers, a decent sub, and 5 channels of amplification. All she will have to do is ask.

I installed a new Valentine One radar detector with remote module on Saturday morning. I am wanting to sink the remote into the black instrument surround. Has anyone done this?
Is there room to sink the remote module at least halfway into the black instrument surround under the odometer?

Thanks and I appreciate the answers,
Steve

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, SDS.

Some comments. Your paint issue is "orange peel" and pretty much all cars have it to some extent. I'd say Honda/Acura orange peel is "average". I've seen worse (MB ML class) and better (Toy/Lexus). Search for orange peel just to confirm this is what you've got. It can be wetsanded but you'd be better off paying for it yourself and having a good shop do it rather than the dealer.

Re: stereo...You've been around here long enough to know "no highs, no lows, must be Bose".

Re: V1. I don't think anyone's sunk the remote display in there. A few peeps just have it mounted atop the steering column. I have my Passport 8500 remote in the cubby below the radio stack, mounted vertically on the left. The 8500 remote has significantly less info than the V1 (just a power and alert light, rather than your intensity/bogey deal) so all I need is peripheral vision for the light. Pics someplace around here - search for valentine or 8500.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The V1 Remote...

...is velcroed to the top of the steering column. I am seeking to install the remote so it is not readily visible to those who would steal it.

Thanks,
Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts