Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today on my way to work, I felt there was a sudden short stall, and then CEL, VSA, and triangle warning light turned on, with the D5 indicator flashing. The car was still drivable. Pulled over, turned off engine, and re-start, all went off except for the CEL.

Autozone helped to read the following code:
  • P0963: Problem in A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve A
  • P0967: Problem in A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve B
  • P0971: Problem in A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve C

At this moment, it's an intermittent issue. Is it OK to drive 400 miles to Las Vegas next weekend and then back in 2 weeks?

What could be the possible cause and/or fix? What is the likely cost to repair it?

Car is 2004 MDX with 190K miles.

Appreciated!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
What Bluepill said! I'd also recommend 8 ounces of LubeGard Platinum as part of the last drain-and-refill.

If the problem persists, it's a matter of figuring out what is common to all three circuits you're having a code thrown on (fluid pressure, sensor or computer problem?).

As to whether it's safe to drive that far... sounds like at least some chance you'll end up completing the trip on a flatbed. I'd do what Bluepill suggested (and add the LubeGard) and drive it around as much as possible before the trip. You might well get lucky and fix the problem (especially if you haven't been keeping up on tranny fluid changes in the past).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now the X reset itself back to "normal". Will be doing the ATF flush to see how it works.

As far as the LubeGard Platinum, what benefit should I expect from it? Also since it's sold as 10 oz package, can I use all 10 oz?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Just to give a different perspective, I'd advise against LubeGard or any other additives. Honda/Acura strongly recommends against additives, as well.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
FWIW, I'm usually also anti-additive. It's just that I've had good luck getting trannies that are really misbehaving back to normal with the LubeGard products. I know it sounds like I work for them...(I don't, and don't have any stock in the company either) but I had a buddy with an Odyssey (very similar tranny) that I swapped some shift solenoids and pressure switches on, but really only "fixed it" with some LubeGard (the other parts probably helped as well, though). My son's Subaru was REALLY messed up, not doing anything right. New fluid and some LubeGard and a 10 minute drive and it was shifting like new again. But yeah, I'm normally not going to recommend typical additives for oil or transmission, etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For nearly forty years I have stayed away from any snake-oil in my vehicles.

The only exception has been Lubegard Dr. Tranny Shudder-Fix. I recommend it.

I firmly believe the bulk of transmission problems in our era of Hondas/Acuras stems from the non-synthetic fluid these transmission started with. ATF-Z1 was called for, originally. It did not seem to be up to the task. I can tell when the non-synthetic is in the transmissions because they smell like cat piss.

My routine for Acura problem transmissions service...
1. Replace the 3rd & 4th pressure switches.
2. Complete drain & flush with Honda DW-1 fluid.
3. A tube of Lubegard dumped in.
4. A 3qt. flush with DW-1 at each oil change until the fluid no longer has any foul smell to it.

We have four Acuras in the family. They are all hovering around 200k. I never lost a transmission even though two of them were behaving very badly when we bought the vehicles.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the CEL turned off by itself off on past Friday, and then turned on and off again on Sunday. Since then, there wasn't any warning light.

I did oil change and 3Qt*2 ATF changes over the weekend, and then did a 155 miles test drive which included climbing a 7% long slope to to the top of mountain at 75 mph last night, plus some local drive. So far the result wasn't bad, I can tell the MPG got improved during driving as the gauge remained over 20 MPG more often. The gas mileage for the test drive was 20 MPG which was much better than the average 19 MPG before.

So my questions are:
1. So can I assume it should be OK for my 300 miles drive to Las Vegas?
2. I plan to do the 3rd ATF change tonight. Is ti still recommended to add the Lubegard? PLATINUM or Shudder Fixx?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
While it's impossible to say for sure, if it was me, I'd do the third D&F, and go for it. If the car threw any fits before then, I'd pay close attention to the error codes. Many times a transmission problem will just cause a problem BETWEEN shifts, which is annoying but won't mean anything on the typical road trip (other than maybe having to lift off the gas for a second to tease an upshift). Personally, I would add some LubeGard, but I'd say it's optional if the transmission is behaving itself. Your symptoms could be consistent with the new fluid flushing out excess debris from the pressure switches or shift solenoids, which would mean that you might avoid any future problems with regular transmission fluid changes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.