Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's ridiculous that Acura put in support for Siri voice activation on the steering wheel but left out support to activate Google Now for Android users. I hear that Android Auto will probably be included in a future model, but I doubt this will be made available for current models since it's a pretty drastic overhaul to the interface. However, it can't be that difficult to implement triggering Google Now via a software update (my aftermarket Pioneer car stereo in my BMW provided this). I've already emailed Acura on this issue via the Owners club and would recommend other users do the same. Maybe if they get enough requests, they will consider implementing this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can if you say "Ok Google" and have the appropriate settings to listen for the keyword set on your phone, but it's not ideal:

1) The phone has to be a position where your voice will get picked up by mic on the phone. This won't work if the phone is in your pocket. With the Siri integration, when the steering wheel button is pressed, the voice command gets routed through the built in mic in the car.
2) If you have the stereo on, voice recognition will be hit or miss. When the steering wheel voice button is pressed, the stereo is automatically muted.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Heh... I've Tweeted, emailed, and called Acura about this. Their only response is, "we have no information regarding any software updates for your model to introduce this feature." Welcome to the early 2000s Acura!

·
Registered
202 Posts
iPhone master race reporting in! The problem here 2016MDXer is you have a android, get rid of it and pick yourself a iPhone, problem solved. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't be silly. I am not changing my phone just because it's not fully supported by Acura. Acura should support all the relevant mobile platforms, including Android, Apple, and to a lesser extent Windows Phone. Android has at least the same market share or even greater than Apple....so it's inexcusable that they don't support both the same.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Don't be silly. I am not changing my phone just because it's not fully supported by Acura. Acura should support all the relevant mobile platforms, including Android, Apple, and to a lesser extent Windows Phone. Android has at least the same market share or even greater than Apple....so it's inexcusable that they don't support both the same.
According to Pew Institute, the annual IBM Black Friday shopping survey, and other sources, Android users are grossly unprofitable.

Do a detailed analysis of MDX owners (not "MDX owners on this board") and validate who has Android vs. Apple. And who cares.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why should Acura care whether or not Android is profitable or not? The fact is that both platforms are relevant and have large user bases. They need to support both equally.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Can't really get mad at Acura for not catering to your Android device. If you don't like it, just get a iPhone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not looking to get into a pissing match about what mobile platform is better. My point is that Acura is shooting themselves in the foot by not supporting Android fully. When your competitors like Audi and BMW provide these features, it gives them an advantage.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
2016MDXer -

I've said this before but I'll restate it - with many of these Nav/Infotainment systems, including the Acura one, it's a case of 'what you see is what you get' and there s/b no expectations that it'll 'ever' have a feature enhancement. It's not like what you're used to on your phone or laptop where they update (free) with bug fixes and even some enhancements with new features/functions. The auto manufacturer mindset, or at least Acura's, seems to be something like 'you bought a 2014 (2016) Nav/Infotainment system with the feature set it had at the time you bought it and so that's all it will ever be'.

Acura actually did improve the Nav with some enhancements and offered it retroactively to 2015 owners (while vehicle still in the 2015 model year), which was great, but Acura refuses to offer the same update, which applied to the same level of software, to 2014 owners. I think they almost 'had' to offer it to the early 2015 buyer's since they'd be quite upset if their 2015 was less capable than their neighbor's 2015.

Acura 'has' offered bug fix updates - at a rate of about 1/year - they've had 2 updates for the 2014. These are bug fixes only - not enhancements.

Moral of the story - don't hold your breath for an enhancement update.

Another moral of the story - If the Nav/infotainment system is highly important to you, be sure to check it out thoroughly, including studying the manual (downloadable from manufacturer website), before buying the vehicle and don't make an assumption that it'll be like your phone with frequent bug fix updates and enhancement updates and free map updates.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm not looking to get into a pissing match about what mobile platform is better. My point is that Acura is shooting themselves in the foot by not supporting Android fully. When your competitors like Audi and BMW provide these features, it gives them an advantage.
In the case of BMW, the android functionality is a subset of the iPhone functionality.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mdxstang, thank you for the informative response (and not the typical "Get an iPhone" crap that seems to be prevalent here). I agree with most of your points and actually did research this issue before buying the MDX. It basically came down to priorities....drivability and having 7 row seating were more important than having a steering wheel button that could trigger Google Now.

However, I think that we should also voice our opinions to Acura as to what could be improved and added as a fairly trivial software enhancement instead of accepting the way things are currently. As I mentioned before, my Pioneer stereo initially only supported Siri but was updated a few months later to support Google Now via a software update). I also think new car manufacturers like Tesla are on to something when they can update and enhance the software OTA.

KneeDragr, BMW actually supports the native bluetooth phone dialer passthrough which can trigger Google Now (if you use it in conjunction with an App like Bluetooth launch).

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ I agree on both points -

- I stated "If the Nav/infotainment system is highly important to you" because I personally don't view it as that highly important to me and it pales in comparison to the handling, acceleration, size, utility, comfort, quietness, etc. I still want the Nav/Info to work well and ideally be more flexible than it is but the other attributes trump this for me. I know that some other posters would prioritize the Nav/Info higher than I do.

- Acura 'should' pay attention to their customers since it's critical to success. If the customers lodge a lot of complaints in a particular area, especially in an area that they (or the vendor they chose) can easily fix/improve at minimal incremental unit cost (i.e. a software update versus new hardware/mechanical items), then maybe they'd eventually pay attention and do something about it but like I said - based on my experience with them over the course of 2 years (the 2014 MDX is my first Honda/Acura product), don't hold your breath. I already complained to Acura customer relations about this area - I don't know if they ticked the box of complainers for subsequent review or simply ignored it and deleted my email after sending me a canned non-informational useless reply.

·
Registered
313 Posts
KneeDragr, BMW actually supports the native bluetooth phone dialer passthrough which can trigger Google Now (if you use it in conjunction with an App like Bluetooth launch).
I dont know enough about the specific features, so not going to challenge you there. I just remember when looking at one, the salesman showed me a list of connectivity features and some had a * that denoted iPhone functionality not present when using Android devices.

My point was that its not uncommon for iPhone support to work better or have more connectivity features than Android, in fact I would say its probably the norm.

·
Registered
661 Posts
2016MDXer -

I've said this before but I'll restate it - with many of these Nav/Infotainment systems, including the Acura one, it's a case of 'what you see is what you get' and there s/b no expectations that it'll 'ever' have a feature enhancement. It's not like what you're used to on your phone or laptop where they update (free) with bug fixes and even some enhancements with new features/functions. The auto manufacturer mindset, or at least Acura's, seems to be something like 'you bought a 2014 (2016) Nav/Infotainment system with the feature set it had at the time you bought it and so that's all it will ever be'.

Acura actually did improve the Nav with some enhancements and offered it retroactively to 2015 owners (while vehicle still in the 2015 model year), which was great, but Acura refuses to offer the same update, which applied to the same level of software, to 2014 owners. I think they almost 'had' to offer it to the early 2015 buyer's since they'd be quite upset if their 2015 was less capable than their neighbor's 2015.

Acura 'has' offered bug fix updates - at a rate of about 1/year - they've had 2 updates for the 2014. These are bug fixes only - not enhancements.

Moral of the story - don't hold your breath for an enhancement update.

Another moral of the story - If the Nav/infotainment system is highly important to you, be sure to check it out thoroughly, including studying the manual (downloadable from manufacturer website), before buying the vehicle and don't make an assumption that it'll be like your phone with frequent bug fix updates and enhancement updates and free map updates.
amen

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I dont know enough about the specific features, so not going to challenge you there. I just remember when looking at one, the salesman showed me a list of connectivity features and some had a * that denoted iPhone functionality not present when using Android devices.

My point was that its not uncommon for iPhone support to work better or have more connectivity features than Android, in fact I would say its probably the norm.
I think this is primarily because BMW has much better agreements with Apple than it does with Google [and the manufacturers of the Android handsets]. Not to mention it being easier to integrate just a few devices compared to many. Sadly though, with each iteration of iOS updates, something seems to break on the iPhone with the bimmer (it really depends which head unit you have too). :headshake There's just something about the BT stack that Apple just can't/won't get working right.

On the flip side, I've noticed on the MDX that the only real practical difference is Siri Eyes Free for the 2016. Everything else is mostly the same, except from iPhone 5 on there have been issues with BT contacts syncing and features like contact photos. Not a big difference in functionality to me. There are pluses and minuses to both ecosystems (I use both), but I've been using the Android side more lately. Siri hasn't really been too helpful either. Well, not as well as Google Now has been lately with all the integration into email, apps, searches, reminders, and much better voice recognition [for me].

·
Registered
525 Posts
Can anyone with a 2018 comment on whether the 2018 mdx now that it has added android auto supports using Google assistant voice commands?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts