Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only test drove a touring MDX with Michelin tires. I was wondering if the Goodyear Integrity tires was any quieter or offers a smoother ride than the Michelin Cross Terrain tires. I am more interested in a quieter/smoother ride than cornering grip. I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have test driven both a base & touring- as recently as yesterday, and I couldn't tell any difference in noise/handling. I am sure there are differences - but during a test drive it's tough to get a good feel under all driving conditions. I have been told that Michelins are better, but noisier.

I suggest you try to find a base at a dealer in your area & drive one of each the same day to truly compare for yourself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Air Pressure

No doubt you have already considered this possibility regarding
softness of ride but I know that my Michelins were delivered with
too much air pressure and when reduced to the recommended
psi it made a definite improvement in ride quality. BTW, my
subjective opinion is that the MDX provides a very quiet
environment. Of course, different road surfaces result in
differing noise levels as with any vehicle but I have yet to
encounter a situation that was disagreeable and I like the
notion of riding on Michelins.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My MDX was also delivered with 47 psi all around! Geez - I am also very sensitive to "tire" issues. The Michelin Cross Terrain tires are excellent. They do just what Acura wanted - a quiet ride with good fuel economy, but still can go off road if needed. I think they are probably better for most Acura buyers than their LTX line. I almost always change OEM tires, and this will be 1 vehicle that does not need a change at all (except for the very thin rims). I cannot compare them to a Goodyear Integrity as I would never put "that" tire on any car of mine. I am not against Goodyear at all, mind you. Hell, I grew up in Akron, OH! But currently, Michelin makes some great tires.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had my MDX (Base model) with Goodyears for only a few weeks but I decided early on, like rroof, that wider rims and a larger tire were needed (I do a fair amount of offroading). After talking my way out of a $1900 mark-up from the dealer in Orange County(CA) I decided to celebrate by buying "Aftermarket" rims and tires from the Tirerack. The rims were 7 1/2 inches wide and the Tires were Michelin LTX M/S sized at 245/65/17. Tirerack guaranteed they would fit. I also "conned" the dealer into trading back the Goodyears and stock rims for about $900 (retail) in parts. I drove the MDX with Goodyears for just a few days until I could get Michelins installed. The difference in ride seems to be much more stable on the curves. A little more noise but not much - I like a little noise, it tells me the car is really working. The LTX M/S look very much like the Cross Terrains - cost for the 245's at Tirerack was $126 each. The added cleararce was over an inch - which was what I was looking for. The speedometer is off a little but has not resulted in any tickets. I'm very happy with this tire/rim combo.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sideburns -

Excellent tire choice. The LTX M/S is a great tire off road. Did you consider the BFGs at all? That is about the perfect tire size for this vehicle (considering road noise, off road capabilities and looks). Wide is great (for looks), but not so in snow and for noise!
BTW, what rims did you end up with and is the offset correct?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rroof: Tire rack (who I've bought from on several occasions and have always done a good job and price is right) did not have BFG tires in 245/65/17 size at the time, maybe they do now. But I'm very happy with Michelins (LTX M/S). The rims are the Mille Miglia Spider (17x7.5). They are always shown in the Tirerack ads(Road & Track/Car & Driver). The cost is $139 each (reasonable compared to some of the others). They are imported from Italy. Tirerack claims they do test installations of their rims making sure the offset and hub centricity are correct. They guarantee proper fitment of all their "recommended" tires and rims. If you talk to an Acura service tech guy they are very cautious about recommending anything that is "aftermarket" tires/rims - hinting that the warranty may be in jeopardy. That's a bunch of BS. Legally they have to prove that the tires/rims caused any problem that needs warranty work - that would be difficult unless you went to something extreme like a 275/65/17 or bigger tire. My tire/rim combo works great. The fit is perfect. The look is great and unique, which is what I was going for. I have a Granite Green (really no green) MDX and the "silver painted" rim looks right.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As an Acura sale rep, I get to drive both models on a regular basis. I have to admit that I like the Goodyears better. They're definitely quiter, especially at higher speeds, and they seem to have a more direct turn-in response when cornering. Of course, being in Florida, our clients will usually not have to worry about snow or slush, which is where the Cross Terrains should excell (along with off-road duty).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow - good price on the spyders - I know the rim. You're right - can't violate the warranty without direct causalgia - the Moss-Magnuson-Ferguson Act (sp?).

Acura rep - thanks for the comment about the tires. That sounds about what I expected, considering the Goodyear Invicta tire also comes OEM on several Lexus CARS (i.e. GS300) - but for most MDX buyers out of FLORIDA the Michelin would be a better tire. I'm still not sure why Acura uses both a truck tire (Cross Terrain) and car tire (Invicta) from the factory. I realize most MDX owners will never go offroad - but this IS A TRUCK - I am reminded of this every time I slip into her (my wife's) from my other cars (S4/M3)!

J

·
0 Posts
SURPRISE!

MICHELIN CROSS TERRAIN TIRES ARE NOT OFF-ROAD TIRES!!! THEY ARE LISTED AS ALL-WEATHER TIRES THE SAME AS THE GOODYEAR INTEGRITY TIRES. THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE IS THE PRICE WHICH IS NEARLY TWICE AS MUCH. SEE TIRE RACK FOR RATINGS WHICH ARE VERY SIMILAR. PERSONALLY I DIDN'T FIND MUCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO TIRES WHEN I TEST DROVE THE MDX. I HAVE INTEGRITY TIRES WITH 4,000 MILES ON MY MDX WITH EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE ON BOTH WET AND DRY PAVEMENT, DRIVING MOSTLY IN THE MOUNTAINS OF VIRGINIA. I DON'T PLAN ON TAKING MY MDX OFF-ROAD BUT IF I DID I CERTAINLY WOULDN'T BUY ANY MICHELIN TIRE FOR THAT PURPOSE AS I HAVE BEEN BURNED BY MANY MICHELIN TIRE FAILURES IN THE PAST. JUST MY $.O2. I'VE STATED MY OPINION OF MICHELIN TIRES MANY TIMES BEFORE. SORRY TO BE REDUNDANT BUT I'M NOT A FAN OF MICHELIN.

·
Registered
557 Posts
How much are the replacement Michelin tires anyway?

TECK!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Michelin just won (again) 3 JD Powers awards again. Anyway, the Cross Terrain may be rated by TIRERACK as an all season tire, but this tire ONLY comes OEM on truck/SUVs, no cars - like the Integrity/Invicta. I would certainly not use it for much off-roading either, but the LTX M/S would do very nicely......Although for the money, I prefer the BFG Trail's......The Goodyear Wranglers (load E) also are nice!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: Tire costs

BellTeck said:
How much are the replacement Michelin tires anyway?

TECK!
When I put on the full size spare I got a Michelin Cross-Terrain at Discount Tire for $130.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the Michelin. It bounced. I started another thread a while ago to complain about it. I also test drived one with Goodyear. The Goodyear is a bit more softer and comfortable and quieter than the Michelin. But I have a lot more confidence with the Michelin when I'm driving on unpaved sections of roads. I can't say I like the Michelin but I'm getting use to it now. I'll definitely try another brand (most likely Goodyear) when I have to change the tires.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My .02

Maybe the reason you are feeling the Goodyear's being smoother and quieter is that they are softer. Hence you'll be replacing them sooner. On my Dodge Ram I had to replace the Goodyears after 30,000 miles. On my 300M they were ready to be replaced when I traded the car in at 36,000. My first Honda was used and I put Michelins on it when I bought it and they lasted for 60,000 miles. Maybe they are more expensive but you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
681 Posts
I got the Michelin Cross Terrain at America's Tire for $133. I had to order to order and it come in three days. No tire dealers in the SF South Bay had the size in stock. By the way, the Michelin has the 80,000 miles tread warranty. I hope I heard it right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey guys, I've look in every once in a while on this message board and thought I would post on this one.

I find it interesting that you guys are talking about the Goodyear Integrity's vs. the Michelin Cross Terrain tires. I have a 2000 RX300 - it came with the Goodyears. The RX owners have this same discussion and lean towards the Michelin CT tires and feel the Goodyears are crappy tires.

I see many of you MDX'ers looking at the Goodyears instead of the Michelins. It seems we want to get what we don't have. If we have the Goodyears we feel the Michelins are better, and if we have the Michelins we feel the Goodyears may be better.

Personally I love Michelin tires for light truck use. I've had LTX - M/S before and they were great tires. I'm sure the Cross Terrain is too. I was glad to see them as OEM equipment on the MDX. I wish Lexus would do the same with the RX. I think I am going to buy a set of the Cross Terrains when I burn out by Goodyears:D

I just thought I would offer you guys another view - There was a post about how one RX owner liked and disliked the Cross T's on ClubLexus.com but I coulnd't find the post to link to you guys:(

-Nick

·
Registered
282 Posts
Good price on Michelins

I was at Costco the other day and they were offering me the Michelin Cross Terrains in the same size as the MDX for $136.99. This price includes installation, balancing and everything else. There warranty is also excellent. They did not have it in stock and said it would take about 5-7 business days to get them.

Also, if you at least pay for them by the end of this month, you get a $50 Costco rebate. If anyone doesn't want their rebate, let me know, it helps me pay for diapers.

I just got back from a 1000 mile drive to West Virginia and back and I was not very happy with the Goodyears. I was driving pretty quick around some of the mountain turns and was not happy with the handling. Maybe it was just the MDX, but I think it was the tires. My older Pathfinder with the Bridgestone tires handled those turns great.

Well, I definitely would try the Michelins next.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Goodyear Fortera

Goodyear now offers an awesome SUV/light truck tire called the Fortera HL.

It is made to handle all weather conditions including light off road.

The Fortera handles very well and helps with hard braking.

I have had the Fortera on 3 different SUVs now including the X and I love them. (Much better than the stock Michelin Cross Terrains in my opinion.

Give them a look when you need new tires!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fortera Worth Consideration

Echo:
I agree that the new Goodyear Fortera tires are worth consideration. I took off the original/OEM goodyears when I took delivery in 2001, in favor or a Michelin touring tire (OEM on the X5 3.0). I replaced them last year with a 255 series Cross Terrain on new, wider (but same diameter) rims from Tires.com. Went to a lower aspect ratio to keep the overall diameter the same, and the truck looks much better with the wider stance and fuller wheel well.

I considered the Forteras then, and while the initial reviews were positive, it did not have much of a track record.
Recently, however, Consumer Reports rated the Fortera the best SUV tire (for all-season use). If I were to do it over, I would likely go with the Fortera (considering, as well, that Michelin is a French company).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts