Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady or BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT tires ?

21K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  Pkrface 
#1 ·
I'm planning to buy new tires for my 2017 AWD MDX and I don't know with ones are better, Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady or BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT tires

Any ideas ?

Thank you

#13 ·
Disagree. The OEM Continentals are an very good tire in my experience. They came on my 2014 MDX and my 2017 hybrid. I don’t get great miles from them - 42K on this set. But they are specifically designed as a performance tire for SUVs. I find them quiet, smooth and good handling. If you want longevity, look elsewhere.

Just today I bought a set at Discount Tire. The 20” rim version for my hybrid is on sale for $163/tire. That nearly $50/tire off the regular selling price. I was planning to buy Michelin Premier A/S, but the price difference is at this sale price ishuge, and I have always had good luck with Conti’s. Discount Tire tells me that this is a Continental factory sale and will not last much longer, over for sure before black Friday.

#3 ·
IMO, I like the Mich Defenders the best for all my on road cars. I did get GY MaxLifes for my daughters Camry and like them as well. Not to say anything bad about defenders but I’d go for whichever was cheaper Mich Defenders or GY Max Life. Defenders are the best all season tire from Mich and Max Life is the best all season tire from GY. I haven’t used BFG tires on a car in decades. I have used BFG TKOs on trucks. I still have OEM continentals in my MDX now and am leaning towards the defenders they are the best in rain and have a very quiet ride very smooth. The Max Life is just as quiet and a little better ride but not as good in heavy rain. I don’t know about snow, I’ve only driven them in light snow. Neither are soft enough compound to be considered performance, but they last longer.

#4 ·
My experience with Goodyear Assurance has lead me to never consider buying Goodyear tires. They sidewall dry rotted in 3 years. Plenty of thread but the dry rot was so bad I had to replace them.

Stupid me took the prorated warranty and got another set of the same tires (cheaper) dry rot again.

On my MDX I am running General Grabber All Season’s. 3rd year. I’m happy with them and they are not nearly as expensive as the Michelin’s although if you have a Costco membership they have a deal right now for Michelin’s

#6 ·
Between these two, I would go with the Goodyear. I just installed them on my '12 MDX and really like them. Considerably smoother, quieter, and better riding than the OEM Michelin Latitudes. Handling however is not quite as crisp, but since the '12 is now a spare vehicle I'm not as concerned. I would not use either of those on my '18 Advance as I don't want to lose anything in the steering feel/handling for that vehicle.

#11 ·
The Tirerack ratings are amazing for this tires compare to the Michelin ones
You have to keep the ratings somewhat relative to the use of the tire. Those driving a minivan or economy crossover may find they handle amazing, but something with a more dynamic suspension will feel a bit less connected. Be sure to read the Tire Rack test reviews that address this, particularly the mediocre handling performance of the BF Goodrich. Again, if you don't mind a decrease in handling/steering feel, the Goodyear would probably be a fine choice. The stock Michelin Latitudes that came on my '12 were rather crappy at things like comfort/noise/tire wear but had very good handling/steering feel. The Michelin Premier LTX you linked is not a stock tire for the MDX, but they have similar results...good in most respects, but treadwear in particular is especially bad it seems.

#12 ·
The Goodyear WeatherReady tires seem to perform pretty well. However, when I shop for tires I also look at how the tire's overall performance compares to its prices. So to me, I generally don't find the Goodyear models, that I look at for my cars, to be a good value.

BF Goodrich is a sub/sister brand of Michelin. They don't really try to focus on being a premium tire brand for the general passenger car market. Instead, I think they're catered a bit more towards a 'sportier' crowd.

As far as Tire Rack survey results, I don't really put any faith in them until a tire model has been out for some time and it's accumulated at least 1 million miles "driven on". The early survey results always come back with very high ratings. I know sometimes it's hard to determine how well a new model performs based on the early reviews; but like mentioned, you may be able to see how they do in Tire Rack's tests, or in tests by some other outfit (like Consumer Reports).

The tires I ended up choosing to replace the OE Continentals on my MDX were the Michelin Defender LTX. I got mine two years ago at Costco when they were on sale. I think I've got over 50K miles on them, and they're still doing fine.

#16 ·
I’m sorry, I misstated the name of the Michelin tire that I was interested in. It is the Primacy Tour A/S, not what I said.

When you say you’ve driven both, I’ll bet that you mean the Michelin Premier LTX. So have I. I replaced the OEM Conti’s on my 2014 MDX with the LTX. I generally prefer the Conti’s. They are slightly quieter and more comfortable riding, and at least as good performing. The Michelin has full depth siping, which is an advantage. It is also a much longer lasting tire. Low miles is the #1 reason why many people hate the Conti.

Miles is not my priority. 40K+ is OK with me. My priorities are the things that I feel the Continentals do better, as I stated above - we do a lot of over the road travel. This is the reason that I was considering the Primacy this time, and not a rerun of the LTX. At $163 for a 20” performance tire, the Continentals were a no-brainer for me. They go on today.

#21 ·
I’m sorry, I misstated the name of the Michelin tire that I was interested in. It is the Primacy Tour A/S, not what I said.

When you say you’ve driven both, I’ll bet that you mean the Michelin Premier LTX. So have I. I replaced the OEM Conti’s on my 2014 MDX with the LTX. I generally prefer the Conti’s. They are slightly quieter and more comfortable riding, and at least as good performing. The Michelin has full depth siping, which is an advantage. It is also a much longer lasting tire. Low miles is the #1 reason why many people hate the Conti.

Miles is not my priority. 40K+ is OK with me. My priorities are the things that I feel the Continentals do better, as I stated above - we do a lot of over the road travel. This is the reason that I was considering the Primacy this time, and not a rerun of the LTX. At $163 for a 20” performance tire, the Continentals were a no-brainer for me. They go on today.
Road performance (dry and wet) is the only thing that matters to me. Thread life, noise, and comfort are not something I pay attention to.

#17 ·
I replaced the OEM Conti CrossContact LX Sport with the new Conti CrossContact LX25 about 3 months/5K miles ago on my Sport Hybrid. So far, I really like the ride on the LX25. As quiet as the LX Sport on my Hybrid, the LX25 is even more quiet if you can believe that. It supposed to have improved handling on snowy weather, which I have not tested yet. But anything is better then the LX Sport that I experienced last winter.

The LX25 was just released this summer, and it comes with a 70K miles limited warranty. It's definitely worth looking into as it was priced less than the LX Sport, and Conti is offering a $70 Visa Prepaid card for purchase of a set of LX25 right now.

#18 ·
I replaced the OEM Conti CrossContact LX Sport with the new Conti CrossContact LX25 about 3 months/5K miles ago on my Sport Hybrid. So far, I really like the ride on the LX25. As quiet as the LX Sport on my Hybrid, the LX25 is even more quiet if you can believe that. It supposed to have improved handling on snowy weather, which I have not tested yet. But anything is better then the LX Sport that I experienced last winter.

The LX25 was just released this summer, and it comes with a 70K miles limited warranty. It's definitely worth looking into as it was priced less than the LX Sport, and Conti is offering a $70 Visa Prepaid card for purchase of a set of LX25 right now.
Hey if you don't mind give us an opinion of LX25s after a few weeks to get your opinion on them. I am going to get new tires after new year and would like to know, as of now I am 90% going to get the Mich Defenders, bcs of experiences with them for ride and noise (not treadwear... :( .

#22 ·
I'm planning to buy new tires for my 2017 AWD MDX and I don't know with ones are better, Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady or BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT tires

Any ideas ?

Thank you

Michelin L

Any ideas ?

Thank you
Michelin LTX. The best I have ever owned. Bar none.

#23 ·
Good grief! Here we go again, a tire thread. How about we try to answer the OP's question instead of just rooting for our own preferences? The OP asked about two tires, both of which are all-weather, severe-service rated tires. I assume that he did that because he wants all-weather tires, not just all-season. And that would likely be because he encounters winter conditions occasionally, but not enough to justify dedicated winter tires. OP: is that right?

The all-weather category was invented by Nokian, who is now in their 4th generation of the type (Nokian WR-G4 SUV) while most other tire companies have only recently come out with their first entries. The Nokian is a very good tire - I have driven on them for many years - but there is some serious competition now, and more coming soon. The Toyo Celsius CUV as well as the two the OP mentioned have been around for a couple of years. Newer entries include the Michelin CrossClimate SUV, Kumho Crugen HT51, Firestone Weathergrip, Vredestein Quatrac 5, and for the all-terrain crowd the Firestone Destination A/T2. The problem is that the newcomers haven't been around long enough to have a track record and enough reviews to make statistical sense. And my immediate problem is that the Nokians for the Base MDX (18" rims) won't be available here until mid-January - 2 months away - because they are out of stock and being shipped from Finland. So I am going with the WeatherReady tires, with some reluctance.

#33 ·
I was driving around in the new snow today with the new WeatherReady tires. There were lots of cars getting stuck trying to go uphill. The MDX seemed to be glued to the road - I was very pleased. Uphill, downhill and cornering were all good. I think these are as good as any tire I have driven in the snow. So a happy camper here. YMMV.

#39 ·
Bottom line, all weather tires will be a tad noisier than all season tires, but have always been worth it to me. With time your ears adjust and you can turn up the radio a notch. Definitely need to stay on a 5-6K rotation schedule. I've been running the Goodyear TripleTreds (predecessor to the WeatherReady) for 10+ years already and the current set on the wife's Honda Odyssey have 76K on them and 7/32 left. The long life is more a testament to her easy driving style, but I am OCD about rotation every 5K . They softened the rubber compound on the WeatherReady to further improve the snow/ice performance which is why they now carry a 60K treadwear warranty vs the 80K on the TripleTred. I'll probably be putting WeatherReady on the X as soon as the current tires that were on the car when I bought it are done, but the Nokian's would be worth considering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.