Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sad to say that I have traded my MDX in for a 2002 Odyssey EX in redrock pearl. The decision to buy the MDX was difficult because the money was tight. However, I did it anyway. However, the day after I bought it, I felt a severe case of buyers remorse because of the amount of my loan. Just out of curiosity, did anyone else have that same feeling "the morning after"?

Driving the MDX was nothing less of sheer pleasure. However, I came to realize that sometimes you must consider what is the most practical. For me, it is the Odyssey. I consider myself lucky because I got almost what I paid for it in trade, in addition to the discount I was given on the Odyssey.

All in all, my loan went from $34,000 down to $26,700. When you consider my monthly savings in gas (better mpg and regular gas) and insurance I am saving approx. $200 per month. I may not look as cool driving around in an Odyssey, but I feel better about the decision.

I have really enjoyed being a member of this forum and have looked forward to reading the posts. I wish there was one similar for the Odyssey. Does anyone know of any?

Enjoy your MDX's and A sincere farewell to all.:(

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sad to see you go, MDXDad, and remember, we're still brothers so you're welcome here anytime! Of all the alternate vehicles to pick, I think you made the right choice...

Enjoy and keep us updated...wonder if those new Oddy's have weeping mirrors? ;)

Best,
Rob :cool:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Wow -- you only had it for a week! Sorry to see you go, but glad you got most of your $ back.

www.odyclub.com is the place.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry to see you go....

But remember - you are still a cousin! There are, after all, feelings of kinship with Odyssey owners! Good luck - what ever helps you sleep at night is the right decision!:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Buyer's Remorse

Just out of curiosity, did anyone else have that same feeling "the morning after"?
I think many of us have felt as you do (maybe not in the first week) but when the first payment comes due. Even for the most affluent among us, $37-40K is a lot to pay for a car, especially considering that minus the 4WD and greats looks, a more practical alternative can be had for $26K in the Ody. However, my personal philosophy is that you only live once, why not enjoy yourself? After a 70 hour work week (and getting to and from work by mass transit), I want to climb into a vehicle that I am actually excited about driving. A minivan is not that vehicle. I love being a family man and having kids, but the MDX (with three rows of seats) was the only thing that saved me from this dreaded hallmark of parenthood. In the end, it's a personal decision and for you it was fortunate that your change of heart did not cost a small fortune (as would have been the case with many other vehicles). Best of luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fortunately, I have never had buyers remorse. I leased a TL when I probably should not have, and now I lease an MDX that I probably shouldn't, but my wife and I LOVE nice cars, and they just do not get any better than Acura's.

My boss could pay cash for an MDX, but they ulitimately choose the Red Rock Odyssey. I think he really wanted the X, but his practicality kicked in, and that was all she wrote.

My wife and I, on the other hand, have agreed we would never own a minivan. We would not succumb to the "Family" vehicle. It's an SUV or nothing. Mind you, I am not judging Odyssey owners. As was stated, Honda and Acura owners share a bond, it's just that we could not bring ourselves to drive a van. Not to mention the X is an awesome vehicle. I cannot believe how agile this vehicle is for its size.

Congratulations on your "new" purchase, and hopefully down the road you will become a full fledged member again. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
As a proud owner of both an MDX and an Ody, I can tell you that they are both great cars. If you have to have a minivan, odyssey is the only way to go , I actually enjoy driving the thing almost as much as the "X"

BTW: Odyclub.com Is a great site, we will see you there...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
mdxdad said:
Just out of curiosity, did anyone else have that same feeling "the morning after"?
Yes and no. I picked mine up on Sept. 10th so the morning after I had no time to reflect on my car decision. Within a few days, after the markets had tumbled, the payments seemed a bit more oppressive but I have never regretted the decision for a single day even after the attacks. Good luck with the Ody - it's a great car as well.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
It is sad to hear this, but I could understand on your decision.

ODY is a great car as well, just a little bit worse than X. I was consider to get ODY when X was not around two years ago.

Anyhow, nice to hear that you didn't lose any value for trade-in. You are always welcome to come back. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife and I, on the other hand, have agreed we would never own a minivan. We would not succumb to the "Family" vehicle. It's an SUV or nothing
People who write junk like this have self esteem issues. It's as if driving an SUV makes their bald/saggy/fat selves somehow cooler. The Ody is a great van, and handles better than the MDX. I still prefer the MDX solely b/c it has more luxury features.

In any case, enjoy the Ody and come back in a few years with the next-gen mdx.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
mdxdad said:
I am sad to say that I have traded my MDX in for a 2002 Odyssey EX in redrock pearl. The decision to buy the MDX was difficult because the money was tight. However, I did it anyway. However, the day after I bought it, I felt a severe case of buyers remorse because of the amount of my loan. Just out of curiosity, did anyone else have that same feeling "the morning after"?

Driving the MDX was nothing less of sheer pleasure. However, I came to realize that sometimes you must consider what is the most practical. For me, it is the Odyssey. I consider myself lucky because I got almost what I paid for it in trade, in addition to the discount I was given on the Odyssey.

All in all, my loan went from $34,000 down to $26,700. When you consider my monthly savings in gas (better mpg and regular gas) and insurance I am saving approx. $200 per month. I may not look as cool driving around in an Odyssey, but I feel better about the decision.

I have really enjoyed being a member of this forum and have looked forward to reading the posts. I wish there was one similar for the Odyssey. Does anyone know of any?

Enjoy your MDX's and A sincere farewell to all.:(
MDXdad-

HEY!!! sorry to hear that but...NEVER THINK that it is not cool to drive the HONDA Odyssey!!! The Oddyssey is the COOLEST VAN on the PLANET!

Remember this! Because of the Honday Odyssey, the MDX was born. It is sorta like...Acura took the "rib" from the Odyssey to create the MDX. Biblical parallelism to Adam & Eve. :D

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Only_Acura said:

My wife and I, on the other hand, have agreed we would never own a minivan. We would not succumb to the "Family" vehicle. It's an SUV or nothing. .... it's just that we could not bring ourselves to drive a van.
Oh, give me a break! Perish the thought you should have to succumb to such anguish. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
jastevenson said:
People who write junk like this have self esteem issues. It's as if driving an SUV makes their bald/saggy/fat selves somehow cooler. The Ody is a great van, and handles better than the MDX. I still prefer the MDX solely b/c it has more luxury features.
First, on what basis do you say that the Ody handles better? I have not driven a 2002 Ody so it's possible - just wondering.

Regarding self-esteem, you may be right but not long ago, before my first child, I made similar statements to my wife. Why? Because many (certainly not all) minivan drivers do not drive particularly well (I know, this is a generalization and oversimplification and certainly not true of all), probably b/c they are distracted by their kids. Also, until you have kids or other people needs, a minivan may not fit into your idea of a neat vehicle. Now, as I drive around in my MDX with my kid, I am probably just as distracted as Ody drivers and I think those auto-open sliding doors on the Ody are pretty cool. But years ago, before kids and such, I just had a different perspective. Prior to getting the MDX, we considered and looked at an Ody. Perspectives change. Just to clarify, I am not bald, saggy or fat.:D

·
Registered
747 Posts
jastevenson said:

People who write junk like this have self esteem issues. It's as if driving an SUV makes their bald/saggy/fat selves somehow cooler.
Note to self: Don't say the wrong thing to jastevenson around the 10th or 11th....I think it's 'that' time of the month...

·
Registered
339 Posts
As much as calculation as you want to do, it is only money! :)

I have no remorse on my purchase. Since my wait was long, the MDX to me is something you know what it does; and it does what you know.

I have a dumb question. If you buy a car, which you pay a lot of tax on. Then, after a week you sell the car, won't you lose a lot of $$ on sales tax?

·
Registered
75 Posts
jastevenson said:

In any case, enjoy the Ody and come back in a few years with the next-gen mdx.
I am neither bald, saggy, nor fat, and the statement was said with tongue firmly in cheek, hence the quotes around "Family". Lighten up Francis.

As far as the luxury reasons, I'm not buying it. You can now get just about every key luxury item in the Ody as you can in the X, not to mention entertainment center, and it's a lot less. So what's the real reason you own an X instead of an Ody?

I apologize if it offends anyone, but I would rather drive an SUV than a van. Apparently so would just about everyone here, since the majority of posters here are X owners. And as much as I love the X, it is not my car, it's my wife's. I drive a TL, and I look d*mn fine doing it! (Insert tongue in cheek here :) )

·
Registered
106 Posts
...but never say never....

I used to say that I would drive a fast sport car all my life. Why would anyone need a 4-door car anyway? No one ever sits back there 99% of the time.

Then one day, we have a child. He sat in the back and we couldn’t get to him without doing some humanly impossible contortion or just remove the front passenger seat (which we did). After awhile, we gave up and sold our sport cars in exchange for a 4-door family sedan.

Then one day, we realized we that have too many toys and sport equipment to carry and we need a bigger car. We hate to be seen in a truck, but we have no choice. We got a SUV. It fits all of our toys and the baby. Life was good again.

Then one day, baby #2 arrived. The 5-passenger SUV is a little cramped but manageable until the in-laws came visit. Things can get ugly to figure out who is going to squeeze in between the child seats. We need a bigger SUV, hence the MDX.

The type of vehicle has to grow with your needs. Maybe one day, we will find it easier to walk straight to the back seat from the front seat to take care of the kids like in a minivan set up. For now, the MDX fits our needs. If we ever need a minivan, Odyssey will be our #1 choice. These days, we are very far from the days with fast cars and fast bikes. We don't want to drive a minivan, but I wouldn't dare to say we will never.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts