Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Goodbye 2019 MDX Hybrid

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Will_MDX 
#1 · (Edited)
I am sad to part with my favorite Acura of all time.
2019 MDX Sport Hybrid - Technology.
It's a long story but I purchased this MDX Sep 2019 with intention of keeping it for 10-15 years.
It was always my dream to have a brand new MDX.

Accidently I found the hybrid version, took a test drive and fell in love.
Last year and half car has performed flawless.
In my opinion it is one of the best MDX model out there (perticularly if you want performance).

With the pandemic, I bought a larger trailer and hybrid can't tow anything.
As a result I purchased a CPO MB SUV.
Last year my MDX sat in the garage (I didn't use it in winter either).

It made no sense to keep MDX while not using it.
With the recent shortage of new/used cars the market is red hot for sellers.
My MDX was kept in showroom condition, only 6100 miles.
You can even smell new car leather :)

Even carmax offered me $42,000 car unseen.
A lady contacted me and came to see the car.
I let her test drive and as expected she loved the performance.

Her Volvo SUV was having lot of issues and needed a reliable 3 row SUV.
She visited local Acura dealer and they had only 1 MDX left to sell.
She also didn't like touch pad (I have driven loaner and it does take getting used to...) or the performance.

Anyways she offered me close to my asking price (which was close to what I paid + extras).
Unbelievable that I could get my original investment back after using the car for year and half (only 6100 miles).

I still have my 03 MDX and 13 TL...

See less See more
#2 ·
Prices for everything is really out of control. Good time to sell and really hard to purchase cars, homes, gas, flights, furniture, home improvement, etc... Hopefully, the Acura hybrid/plug-in/EV MDX isn't gone forever. Other hybrids can tow the same or more as their gas engine versions and I hope Acura will take note for next time.

How are you liking the MB? Is it a step up, step down, or about the same? I've always liked Jag, Volvo, and German SUV styling, performance, and tech. I just don't think I can keep them +10 years like I can with Acura with just routine maint. I was at 13yrs for my 06 TSX when totaled, my 08 RDX I handed down to my daughter is still going strong at +13 years, and my 11 MDX is still a beast at +10 years.

Reactions: Steve P
#3 ·
To add perspective - The buyer of my car sold their house (I am sure at premium) staying in hotel temp. If you have anything of a valuable it's a time to sell as long as you don't need replacement right away :)

MB GLE350 is definitely step-up (since I prefer quiet cabin), performance is not as nice as MDX.
But that thing can tow 7200 lb :)
Based on my research GLE350 platform W166 is very reliable (In my 1 year of ownership for a 5 year old car, not one problem after towing 6000lb trailer for over 2000 miles).
However it is still a gas engine so you feel engine rev up when towing on slight inclines.

I have my eyes on RAM diesel truck or new Ford electric truck (lightning, though towing will be limited to 120 miles or so).
That's the purchase for next year!

If I had done things in right order, I should have bought a truck in first place :)
I am just glad to be able to reset my MDX purchase!

#4 ·
It is sad to part away such performance SUV, but you made the correct decision. Hopefully down the road, Acura makes another Hybrid SUV (or whatever performance and fuel saving co-existed SUV).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.