Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I was driving on last Friday, a 1993 Saturn with 100320 miles. Saturn called the color Blue-Black.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The weekend was supposed to go as follows; On Saturday: Drop my boys off at their friend’s house where they would stay over night. Drop off the dog with our neighbors. Take the train to the airport. Fly down to Raleigh/Durham NC. Jamie Stockman from Performance Acura would pick us up at the airport and drive us to the dealership. Buy the MDX. Check in at the hotel. Find a nice restaurant. Go back to the hotel. Have fun. Sleep. Leave the next day. Visit my cousins in Virginia on the way home to PA. Simple.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here’s what really happened:

We take the train to the airport. A couple inches of show had fallen the night before, but the day was clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the airport, our flight is delayed for an hour.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We arrive in Raleigh. G.C. (the internet business manager) picks us up in a nice new Chevy Tahoe. At the dealership, our MDX is waiting in the showroom. We meet Jamie face-to-face for the first time and he spends the next hour going over the vehicle with us. Then it’s off to do the paper work with Kaisa. Most everything had been completed in advance, so after a bunch of signatures, the car was ours. By the way, we were able to get a great rate, 3.49 %! Thanks to Jamie and Kaisa and GC. The entire buying experience was great!

This would be the last time our MDX was clean.
:D

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More pics at the dealership:

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They did a great job painting the tail deflector!

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interior

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The MDX leads us to our hotel, and then helps us find the restaurant recommended by Jamie (thanks Jamie, we enjoyed the meal). By now it was raining. During dinner, my cousin in Virginia calls us on our cell phone. She’s concerned about the snow storm heading toward the east coast. I guess my brain had been fried from the long day, because I don’t see any need to panic or leave that night. I tell her that we’ll call from the road the next day. If only we had headed home that night.

The next morning, the X is covered in a 1/8 inch layer of ice. We use the room key (credit card) to scrape the windows.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At first the driving isn’t so bad. The roads are just wet, but a freezing rain is falling. North Carolina DOT has been nice enough to dump a beach’s worth of sand on 85.

After driving for about an hour, we made a quick stop. Check out the ice on our mirror.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The driving was getting worse. It was about now we called my cousin. She informed us that they already had over a foot of snow and were expecting another foot or more! The visit was off. We would try to drive straight home to PA.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We began to pass lots of accidents and lots of cars in ditches on the side of the road. I was wondering if there was any way I could get us and our new MDX home in one piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Then we got more bad news. Delaware had declared a state of emergency and closed all roads to non-essential travel. Our only choice was to try and make it to my cousin’s house.

Even that was looking like it could be impossible.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But we made it. The ride from Raleigh NC to Sterling VA took about 7 hours. It continued to snow all night long.

So now we were stranded in Virginia, but at least we were with family. The next day the snow stopped, but by then Virginia and Maryland had also closed all roads, and Philly was still getting pummeled with snow. So leaving was out of the question. My wife was very distraught at the separation from the kids.

These pictures are the saddest of them all:

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't believe this car is brand new!

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The next day (today), is sunny. We leave bright and early.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The roads are clear, but we hit lots of bumper to bumper traffic on 95.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We arrive home, retrieve the kids and the dog, and everyone is happy. The next two hours are spent shoveling the driveway.

Trixie is at a slight handy cap with so much snow, but she’s making due.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dirty, but safe in the garage.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts