The weekend was supposed to go as follows; On Saturday: Drop my boys off at their friend’s house where they would stay over night. Drop off the dog with our neighbors. Take the train to the airport. Fly down to Raleigh/Durham NC. Jamie Stockman from Performance Acura would pick us up at the airport and drive us to the dealership. Buy the MDX. Check in at the hotel. Find a nice restaurant. Go back to the hotel. Have fun. Sleep. Leave the next day. Visit my cousins in Virginia on the way home to PA. Simple.
We arrive in Raleigh. G.C. (the internet business manager) picks us up in a nice new Chevy Tahoe. At the dealership, our MDX is waiting in the showroom. We meet Jamie face-to-face for the first time and he spends the next hour going over the vehicle with us. Then it’s off to do the paper work with Kaisa. Most everything had been completed in advance, so after a bunch of signatures, the car was ours. By the way, we were able to get a great rate, 3.49 %! Thanks to Jamie and Kaisa and GC. The entire buying experience was great!
The MDX leads us to our hotel, and then helps us find the restaurant recommended by Jamie (thanks Jamie, we enjoyed the meal). By now it was raining. During dinner, my cousin in Virginia calls us on our cell phone. She’s concerned about the snow storm heading toward the east coast. I guess my brain had been fried from the long day, because I don’t see any need to panic or leave that night. I tell her that we’ll call from the road the next day. If only we had headed home that night.
The next morning, the X is covered in a 1/8 inch layer of ice. We use the room key (credit card) to scrape the windows.
The driving was getting worse. It was about now we called my cousin. She informed us that they already had over a foot of snow and were expecting another foot or more! The visit was off. We would try to drive straight home to PA.
But we made it. The ride from Raleigh NC to Sterling VA took about 7 hours. It continued to snow all night long.
So now we were stranded in Virginia, but at least we were with family. The next day the snow stopped, but by then Virginia and Maryland had also closed all roads, and Philly was still getting pummeled with snow. So leaving was out of the question. My wife was very distraught at the separation from the kids.