Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally traded my 2015 MDX after two years of: clunking rear suspension, clunking front suspension (4 shocks replaced on two month old MDX), cricket in the engine, falling appart rear door panel (right after delivery), clunking steering column. I had Acura back in 1991, was my favorite car, 4 years and 73K miles not a single visit to the dealer, I did oil by myself. This time is completely different story. Quality went into the downward spiral. Hopefully Acura will realise that they loosing many customers. Very disappointed, this is not the way $45K vehicle should be. This is not right. I would recommend to every owner of 2014-2016 MDX do what I did and drop this vehicle like a bag of dirt. Trade it while you can get some money for it. I am sorry but this time I have not a single good thing to say about this vehicle. RUN,RUN,RUN..........

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Not sure what the point of all these "I got rid of my POS and you should too" threads are.

People on a forum like this already know about all the problems that go on with these things. And they either lucked out and don't have any, or aren't as bothered by them as you are.

The reality is, the MDX's sales numbers are better than ever. So while you unfortunately didn't get a winner and to make matters worse you had a dealer who apparently didn't know how to fix anything, there's still quite a few people out there that are totally happy with theirs. I should know as I talk to dozens of owners a week. And the majority of them have no complaints. The few that do, still love the vehicle.

Also not sure of what you were going for with the thread title "good buy MDX" if it was supposed to be a word play or something.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good buy for some, and good bye for few. But, not the Best buy for all because there's always scope for improvement, and when you are a luxury brand there is a minimum expectation. Did Acura fall short?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The point of this to get Acura attention.
I assure you that people from American Honda read this forum.

We look for patterns. Like the chirping fuel pump, thumping rear shocks, inconsistent door gaps, etc. But the data they get from scouring forums is still a drop in the bucket compared to what they see from dealer warranty claims...that's a much bigger data pool. Because really, out of the 125k+ 3rd gen MDXs that have been produced, the amount of active posters here on this forum is a pretty small sample size. And there is always a "grain of salt" factor with forums because forum users tend to be way more in tune with their vehicle, while the typical Acura owner just looks at it as a nice appliance. Many don't even know where the hood release is. Or how to use more than half the tech features in the vehicle.

So all those issues that unfortunately your dealer couldn't fix? American Honda has known about for awhile now. And some of them do in fact have verified fixes available.

These issues go through a process where some bean counting committee decides if it's worth it to fix all units produced, just fix it for all units to be produced from now on, or if they should even fix anything at all. And this is all based on the amount of complaints and how much business that would cost them going forward versus how much it would cost to implement a fix. The thumping shocks that one might think is a flat out epidemic based on what you read on this forum? They certainly know about it, but not a high priority. Because while there are lots of complaints here, there's not an overabundence of warranty claims from dealers.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
and when you are a luxury brand there is a minimum expectation. Did Acura fall short?
Are we really a luxury brand though? Or just merely a "premium" over Honda? I think Lexus has pulled off the separation. Infiniti, not so much.

To be perfectly honest, I would put Cadillac as more of a true luxury brand than Acura. Where we are right now, and have been for years, is more equal to Buick or perhaps Lincoln.

The NSX is coming. And for that, American Honda wants the bar raised....but just for those customers. Specially trained NSX personnel, different protocols, white glove everything, delivery off dealer property if requested, and so on. But why does it take a $160k+ purchase customer to make Acura want to truly be a luxury dealer? And it's a car that is in such demand, it's sold out for years. We could insult the customer and they'd still want the damn car. Someone drops close to $60k on a full up MDX with accesories, and we might as well have a sign that says Costco on the front of the showroom.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Where we are right now, and have been for years, is more equal to Buick or perhaps Lincoln.
Ha that's funny... I read your reply to me this morning about the components and I said to myself, "well, ****, I bought a Buick then.." Sadly, Buick has a better reliability rating these days too!

Worse yet is depending on your Hyundai dealership, your experience could be more premium there with a Genesis than it is at Acura (at least it has been for me).

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think Lexus has pulled off the separation. Infiniti, not so much.

To be perfectly honest, I would put Cadillac as more of a true luxury brand than Acura.
50% agree and 50% disagree. Agree on Lexus, because i do own a Lexus too, and disagree on Cadillac - I owned and came out of it to MDX :)

Cadillac was seriously Crapillac for me. I had the SRX that right after warranty ended up in transmission change, and over and over problems or what so ever... wow, I loved the quality of materials, I loved the fit and finish, features on the 09 that I had beat the 14 MDX even today... but, mechanically the worst ever i have ever owned...

Coming out of that crappillac, to the MDX is leap and bounds for me mechanically (i am not sure if I still have the chirp noise, rear thump is there which i will get done soon from the dealer, but overall runs smooth) - my comment/concern was on the fit and finish, materials used etc.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
50% agree and 50% disagree. Agree on Lexus, because i do own a Lexus too, and disagree on Cadillac - I owned and came out of it to MDX :)

Cadillac was seriously Crapillac for me. I had the SRX that right after warranty ended up in transmission change, and over and over problems or what so ever... wow, I loved the quality of materials, I loved the fit and finish, features on the 09 that I had beat the 14 MDX even today... but, mechanically the worst ever i have ever owned...

Coming out of that crappillac, to the MDX is leap and bounds for me mechanically (i am not sure if I still have the chirp noise, rear thump is there which i will get done soon from the dealer, but overall runs smooth) - my comment/concern was on the fit and finish, materials used etc.
SRX is a good vehicle and you get a lot for the money in terms of content. But GM is still heavily plagued with electrical gremlins across all carlines. The SRX gets GM's electrical gremlins compounded by the fact that it's made in Mexico. Not a racist thing here, it's just Mexican made vehicles still have a long way to go before they even equal US made in terms of initial quality and reliability. Perhaps if the SRX were made at one of GM's better plants, like Hamtramck, things would be better.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I assure you that people from American Honda read this forum.

We look for patterns. Like the chirping fuel pump, thumping rear shocks, inconsistent door gaps, etc. But the data they get from scouring forums is still a drop in the bucket compared to what they see from dealer warranty claims...that's a much bigger data pool. Because really, out of the 125k+ 3rd gen MDXs that have been produced, the amount of active posters here on this forum is a pretty small sample size. And there is always a "grain of salt" factor with forums because forum users tend to be way more in tune with their vehicle, while the typical Acura owner just looks at it as a nice appliance. Many don't even know where the hood release is. Or how to use more than half the tech features in the vehicle.

So all those issues that unfortunately your dealer couldn't fix? American Honda has known about for awhile now. And some of them do in fact have verified fixes available.

These issues go through a process where some bean counting committee decides if it's worth it to fix all units produced, just fix it for all units to be produced from now on, or if they should even fix anything at all. And this is all based on the amount of complaints and how much business that would cost them going forward versus how much it would cost to implement a fix. The thumping shocks that one might think is a flat out epidemic based on what you read on this forum? They certainly know about it, but not a high priority. Because while there are lots of complaints here, there's not an overabundence of warranty claims from dealers.
American Honda may read these but do they really care about the average customer. I don't think so. Like I have said on here before I have had 8 Acura's since 2007. Out of those 8 the last 3 have really gone down hill in quality and pride of workmanship. I have worked with the dealer to address a couple of issues I currently have with the 2015 MDX I drive but only to be pushed off to Acura Customer Relations who could have cared less. So in turn I care less because it will be gone in 8 long chirping, rubbing steering wheel, clicking brakes, thumping rear end, loose and squeaking drivers seat months.

When I am driving a $56,700 car I expect to at least have some priority on items I feel are not right. As a customer I don't care about their protocol to tell a customer that the problem is Normal when they know they have many, many customers not happy with the defect.

I'm sorry but I am a very busy business person who doesn't have time to spend in the dealership trying to get them to fix their problems. This is not 1975 and this is not a Jaguar and I do not have a trophy wife who has time to sit in the lounge and wait for someone to decide to fix the darn car or not. That's why, and what you said is why this is my last Acura.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I love seeing statements like this. It's pretty telling as to what it's like to deal with you. Whatever dealer you've been dealing with will probably not miss seeing you come in when you turn in your lease.

When I am driving a $56,700 car I expect to at least have some priority on items I feel are not right.

I'm sorry but I am a very busy business person who doesn't have time to spend in the dealership trying to get them to fix their problems.
Soooo, if some college student comes in with a hand me down 12 year old RSX because they had some time inbetween classes and their full time job at the Olive Garden or whatever, are you expecting me to blow them off so I can deal with your problems because you spent more money on your car than average and you think you're more important?

Think again.

Personally, I don't care if someone is an on call ER surgeon or if they're retired or work part time. I don't care if they have a brand new MDX Advance with every accessory and even some apparel from the parts boutique or 20 year old Integra with a quarter million hard miles. They're all paying customers...why should anyone be treated different?

But hey, forget about my silly treat everyone as equals method. Your class system priority methodology will in fact be practiced at Acura dealers. It just won't be applied to your $56,700 vehicle. You need to spend at least another hundred grand (probably closer to 200 more), and your ass will absolutely get kissed every time you deal with us. The factory will absolutely put any problem you have under a microscope and a team of engineers will immediately work to fix the issue. Too busy to come in? Sure, we'll send a concierge to pick up your vehicle and drop off a loaner to wherever you want.

So go ahead. Dump your MDX. Go buy a Q7 and think life will be better dealing with Audi whatever you plan to do. Just try not to get too butt hurt when they run out of Audi loaners that day because even though you were in the service drive before him, they saved the last car for the guy with the R8 V10.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was going to respond but its not worth it. All I will say is Acura just needs to step up and take a look at where they are today and where they were in the past. Like you said my lease will soon be up and I'll be done with it being mine is a company car I just feel sorry for the next person who gets this car.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
The point of this to get Acura attention.
Perhaps you don't know that "goodbye" is one word in this context,and buy is spelled "bye". I looked at this and thought "this person really got a good deal. "Goodbye MDX" would have grabbed my attention more then "good buy MDX.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Perhaps you don't know that "goodbye" is one word in this context,and buy is spelled "bye". I looked at this and thought "this person really got a good deal. "Goodbye MDX" would have grabbed my attention more then "good buy MDX.
You are good!!!!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts