Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The picture below is for all you smug Floridians, Houstonians and even Southern Californias basking in your winter sunshine. We Chicagoans take untolled abuse from you folks about our abysmal winter weather. Well it was 60 degrees here yesterday and I was able to play golf for the first time ever in the month of January. Not polar golf with stocking hats, gloves, or long underwear but shirt sleeves. Plus we had one added benie that you warm weather folks could never experience - frozen ponds on all the water holes. The picture below is a 195 yard par 3 that requires a 175 yard carry over water. Normally a shot approached with much trepidation. However, with a frozen lake, if you hit the shot a bit fat...no sweat because the ball merely bounced on the ice and up onto the edge of the green. So folks it doesn't get much better than this.:p :p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What a difference 4 days makes!!!

Yes,
Our respite from the rigors of winter was short-lived as shown by the photo below taken this morning after 12" of snow. Now you see why the photo above is so rare and I can feel all the warm climate folks gloating again!!;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Whooee! Now say that ball rolls out to a stop on the middle of that pond. Is that a chip shot, or do you drop the ball on the shore and take the penalty stroke?

Up here, of course, we'd drive the X out onto the ice, take the shot, and then drill a hole to pick up a few walleye... Nice to see you guys are seeing a semblance of winter though!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Spoke too soon!!!!

Well rem, you went and did it. You jinxed us. You had to go show off how nice of weather we were having and looked what happend.

I'm just kidding. Did you only have snow there? We had freezing rain, sleet and very little snow. Our neighbors yard looks like a bomb hit with all the tree branches that fell. My favorite tree (the one that looks the best) by our pool is half bald. We got hit pretty bad. I'll have to get help with our digital camera to show you some of our damage. Pretty sad. But things are looking up, it's getting closer to spring and summer. My two favorite times of the year. Winter is the worst. :(

Lmeans

·
Registered
715 Posts
rem....thanks for the white reminder of the REAL Chicago winter(where I lived for 20 years prior to moving to Dallas in '99).

Yawn.....think I'll get another Mai Tai and work on my tan by the pool.:D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Nice shots, Rem. You didn't post your score, tho! ;)

re: lmeans and rem's jinxing the weather...just thought I'd alert Bay Area folks that rain is highly likely in the next 24 hrs. Don't let the NWS forecast of "partly cloudy" fool you:

I washed 2 black cars this afternoon = rain.

·
Registered
580 Posts
worm--

It seems like it never fails after you wash a car that it rains or snows. I hate that especially black. You work so hard to get all the spots off and then your work only last a day. :mad: Oh well poop happens. :p

Lmeans

P.S. I tried to get my pictures on here, but we just recently got a new digital camera and don't have the software to get it on the computer yet. It doesn't have a disk in it, it looks like a slide. Maybe someday.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
winter in Dallas.....

Well for all you folks that think it never snows in Dallas (and I know Octavian must be feeling "at home" from Chicago......) This Pic was taken 2/6/02 after 4" of snow........

Attachments

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hey texrb, no snow here. I am farther south from you. In fact, I am so far south of you that we call people from Plano 'Yankees'>:D

Pssst, can't have all dem Northerners think we have snow here. It will ruin our repuation!

;)

·
Registered
580 Posts
This was a Hybrid-Willow tree in our backyard. It first turned into a "weeping willow" with the ice storm we had, then it became a "Heart-Broken Willow" by the time the storm was over.

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
One more--

This is on our dogs kennel in the back yard. The ice was this thick on everything. That's why so many people lost trees around here. Our town and surrounding towns really did look like a war zone. Our neighbors got it bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
lmeans,

That is bad! It reminded me of a bad ice storm we had in Jan of 1994 when I lived in Memphis. We had no power for 5 days and ice was so thick that many lost trees. What was eerie was that as the ice began to finally melt, youwould hear it cracking all around and see it crash down from trees, roofs, etc.

Hopefully you guys suffered no more damage. That poor tree looks like a "goner".

·
Registered
580 Posts
crackling--

texrb--

I know the crackling sounds weird. You don't know if another limb is breaking or if it's the ice. Luckily we didn't lose power this time, but alot of other people did. The branches in towns took down the power lines. The ice was pretty though, but I could do without.

From that tree that you see put a few small holes in our pool cover. I don't think it's nother major though. Now that I know how to do this I'll show you our pool cover. Please don't get mad at me for making this thread slower because of the pictures.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
lmeans
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing