Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My old Pilot got totaled in an accident and I am in need of a new vehicle. Tomorrow I am going to take a look at an MDX from a nearby dealer. Anything I should look out for before I buy? They are asking a pretty low price compared to the others out there which leaves me questioning why...

Here is a link to the dealers page:
https://www.imotobank.org/details/used-2017-acura-mdx/59197185

Also there is a YouTube video that they recorded:

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks(y)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The mileage is high for me for a 2017 and it will be out of the 4yr/50,000 basic warranty (6/70,000 powertrain still good). I like to purchased used with the 4/50k still available if I find issues after days/weeks/months after purchase.

The only other preference I have is the 18-20 MDXs have Apple/Android Carplay standard as the only change from the 2017 MDX. Having Carplay will future proof the info-tainment system and it is waaaaay easier to use compared to the Acura Navi/voice/text system.

·
Registered
551 Posts
If it was a CPO, maybe. But loosing the updated audio system and DVD and no apple car play seems like a deal breaker to me. On top of that the black interior would definitely be a deal killer to me.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
If it was a CPO, maybe. But loosing the updated audio system and DVD and no apple car play seems like a deal breaker to me. On top of that the black interior would definitely be a deal killer to me.
You must be looking at different pictures. Looks very light to me.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
The mileage is high for me for a 2017 and it will be out of the 4yr/50,000 basic warranty (6/70,000 powertrain still good). I like to purchased used with the 4/50k still available if I find issues after days/weeks/months after purchase.

The only other preference I have is the 18-20 MDXs have Apple/Android Carplay standard as the only change from the 2017 MDX. Having Carplay will future proof the info-tainment system and it is waaaaay easier to use compared to the Acura Navi/voice/text system.
Actually,I think the 18s have 4way lumbar adjustments.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I love the color combination!

Take it for a long test drive, at least 15 minutes if not more. Dealers like to keep you on their typical test drive routes, which are short and may not allow you to test your potential new car on rough/bumpy roads. If you can, get it on the highway or up to highway speeds to see if you are happy with the wind and road noise. The 9 speed should be a reliable transmission in the long run but it is quirky at times so make sure you experience how it shifts so you aren't surprised by it later. Try a few rolling stops (simulating slowing for a red light that turns green) by slowing to 5 or so mph and getting back up to speed. Do your test drive with the radio off to listen for any unusual noises that may signal mechanical issues. Assuming the drive goes well, then test the stereo and make sure all the speakers are working, test the memory seats and the power adjusting steering wheel, and open/close the sunroof too. Run your finger along the paint to check for changes in texture between panels. Rough paint on one panel compared to the others can indicate it was replaced (which may have been replaced from an accident, but not necessarily).

I personally don't think the price is bad, but you may be able to negotiate a few hundred bucks off considering the mileage and that it has no manufacturer warranty left. I've seen CPO SH-AWD models in the Southern California with ~40,000 miles in the $31k range. I think the extra 2 grand to get a CPO and 20k fewer miles is money well spent, but we each have our own priorities, budget, and timeline.

Overall I think it's a good vehicle, but only you can tell if it's going to be right for you. Don't rush a big decision, and when you make one, choose to be happy about it. Good luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did you get to look at car fax report? I just bought a 2017. And it was flawless but had a substantially higher price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts