Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going this week to a week long conference. What are the must see places, good restaurants, good shopping places, etc? Unfortunately, I'll be seating in a meeting hall all day till 5PM , I'm free after that, so it will be pretty much evening sightseeing. Thanks.:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where it go inBoston

If you like steak, go to Abe and Louis, downtown Boston, across the street form the Hynes Auditorium (Prudential Center). A bit expensive, but excellent food. Their swordfish chop is fantastic too. For great seafood, almost anywhere in Boston is good, but SkipJack's or Legal Seafoods are two of the best.

- Enjoy

·
Registered
442 Posts
Where to begin...

First off, remember that Boston is a small city, you could walk from end to end in about two hours if you wanted to. Get a map from your hotel and set off on foot! Here's some points of interest that are especially hopping at night:

Faneuil Hall- Tourist mecca and home to many shops, restaurants and bars. Durgin Park and The Union Oyster House are old-school Yankee restaurants, while Todd English (yuppie chef extraordinaire) has two places here within spitting distance of each other, both offering more contemporary fare- Kingfish Hall and Todd English's Rustic Kitchen. Also, the oldest tavern in the country, The Bell In Hand is here, just follow the cobblestones...

The North End- Mere inches from Faneuil Hall is Boston's own "Little Italy". Old World charming during the day, at night a bustling arrangement of restaurants, cappucino bars and pastry shops. Dining on weekends means waiting in line. Some of my favorite restaurants are Sage, Lucca and Prezza. The locals go to Modern Pastry on Hanover Street for cannoli's and ricotta pie. Don't forget to visit the Old North Church and say hello to Paul Revere.

Landsdowne Street- Beneath the shadow of Fenway Park's "Green Monster" is a whole row of trendy dance clubs, bars and a huge pool hall. Strolling up this street on my lunch break back in '84 or '85 I bumped into Prince(!) who was on his way to a sound check. He was dressed in purple velvet from head to toe. Haven't been there in years cuz I'm old and responsible now, but this is the place to start if you really want to hit the town.

Chinatown- Late night dining at it's best. Specializing in live seafood and a casual atmosphere. Check out Jumbo Seafood, Grand Chau Chow, East Ocean or anywhere that has fish tanks in the window. Trust me and try the lobster Cantonese style with ginger and scallion.

There's lots more, just get out and stroll around. Be careful when you cross the street though!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I ditto the previous replies, strongly recommend the Durgin Park restaurant (amazing prime rib and the best onion rings I've ever had) in Faneuil Hall and add a walk down Newbury Street. It's in Back Bay and has lots of quirky little shops, including the best Boston ice cream - Emack & Bolios. If you venture across the Harvard Bridge into Cambridge, Harvard Square is also interesting and Cambridge's best ice cream is Toscanini's www.tosci.com - the Sweet Belgian Chocolate is magnificent.

And a warning about Durgin Park - it's family style seating and the waitress are not sweet; they're not supposed to be. It adds to the charm!

It really is a small town, very walkable as mentioned. The T (subway) is also easy to get around.

Kim

·
Registered
467 Posts
Bean Town

Don't forget the Back Back area (just look for the big glass John Hancock building and walk towards it) ... Newbury Street is great strolling, Commonwealth Ave is a great stroll too ... Boston Common is a must, Freedom Trail worth a stroll ...

Faneuil Hall is worth a walk, but you might find it a bit touristy ...

Rim32 - Where's your hotel?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
And if you're driving in Boston, the rule is: if you make eye contact with the other driver, you lose.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts