Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up on time for my new MDX's first detailing, which I will do myself by hand, and I'm having a very difficult time deciding on a brand of detailing products.

When I owned my old car, basic Meguiar's off-the-shelf products were fine. Now that I've stepped up in vehicles, I'd like to step up in waxes, too.

I've run extensive searches, visited sites, and read about Zaino (sounds like a lot of work), Zymol ($$$), Klasse, Griot's, etc., 'till it's coming out my ears — and I still feel no closer to a satisfying decision.

I would like to settle on one line of products and master it. Any advice on a top-quality detailing system (for both the exterior and interior of my car) that isn't going to cost a fortune or take unreasonable amount of time to apply alone?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Good products SAVE time!

I think you may a bit confused by the , ahem, obsessive, application of certain products.

Basically, there are good/excellent products available from all the companies you listed.

While it makes sense to stick with one "system" for the painted exterior, the other areas don't benefit from "mono-brandedness".

a) The Zaino FLAT OUT shines the longs and resists water spots better than any other.

b) It is EASIER to apply and buff than ANYTHING ELSE.

It is a good value when you factor in those two!

The interior products are very good, but so are others.
Same for rubber protectorant.

The "mass market" products don't work as well, nor do they last as long. Simply marketing.

Mequiars is a interesting company, they offer some low-end mass market stuff, some deluxe mass market stuff, and their 'traditional' line designed for 'pro-sumers' -- designated with numbers in the name i.e #17 Plastic Polish, #34 New Car Glaze...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Detailing

3M makes a great product called Perfect-It. However, this is not a wax or silicone based polish. It is best used to remove any swirling or fine scratches. I use this on occasion with a wheel buffer and you cannot get a finer polishing. I have not needed to use a wax as a result. The name on the bottle is: Perfect-It - Foam Polishing Pad Glaze and is content-specific depending on the color of your MDX. I have a Black MDX and therefore I have the polish designated for dark colored paints. This polish is recommended with the use of an electric buffer but I just use a soft cloth to apply it and is recommended not to apply this in the sun or when the paint is hot. This product was recommended to me by an auto body repair shop.

JK

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Griot's Garage speed shine is excellent for cleaning out quick bird droppings, and a good in between wash "waxing". It cleans and leaves a great shine!! A lot of their stuff is used on Ferraris and Porsches, so can't go too wrong with them.

Zaino is big on this site. Do a search and you'll find more than enough to read.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not to add to your confusion, but I would check out www.autopia-carport.com/forums It is a great detailing site, and there is tons of info on all the products you mentioned, and other high quality products that are available. It is a pretty big investment, and you want to be sure you are getting the right products to satisfy your needs. Spend some time at Autopia, and I bet you will get all the info you are looking for to help in your decision. I personally have been using Zaino for a while on my TL, and I'm pretty happy with it. I also am trying to decide how to go on the 'X....I'm thinking to go back to Carnauba on the Mahogany.....maybe P21's Concours Wax on top of 3M?? Not sure :confused:

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts