Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did it! I signed up with a broker today. After talking to him on the phone yesterday I had some reservations. But here I am sitting on a waiting list, a dealer making interest on my deposit, and I don't have a new car.
He did not want any money, he said just give me a time limit and how you want your car.
If the dealer can get you one in the meantime, no problem, but I doubt he will. I used to sell cars at dealers. If Joe Blow walks in with enough money, your car is gone. Don't confuse courtesy with loyalty. They only have to be loyal to their boss.
It's a shame so many dealers take deposits in order to be on a list. They think it conveys more professionalism. All it does is collect more interest in their bank.
He said, I know I am bad mouthing dealerships, but I know what they are about. And this Northern California market is one of the worst for Acura. They are much looser in Southern Cal. and the 'desert'.
If you are willing to fly down there you can drive your car home and save over $200 for additional transportation charges. You just pay for the plane ticket. The dealership will pick you up.
So for a few hundered over MSRP I will have my car sooner. A fair trade I think.
I will keep you posted on the progress.
At this point I have not lost a thing, and
if they don't deliver, I am no worse off.
I still have my deposit with Hopkins until a car shows up one way or the other. I gave him 45 days. Also, opened up my options to a Touring + Navi. (I did the same with the dealership).

·
Registered
10 Posts
DaleB said:
I did it! I signed up with a broker today. After talking to him on the phone yesterday I had some reservations. But here I am sitting on a waiting list, a dealer making interest on my deposit, and I don't have a new car.
If Joe Blow walks in with enough money, your car is gone. Don't confuse courtesy with loyalty. They only have to be loyal to their boss.
It's a shame so many dealers take deposits in order to be on a list. They think it conveys more professionalism. All it does is collect more interest in their bank.
Hmmm. That's interesting. It must be different here in the Southeast. I put a deposit down with a dealer in Atlanta (Ed Voyles Acura, a great dealer), and they didn't even cash the check. When I went to pick up the MDX, They gave me the option of taking the check back and writing one check. So, they definitely were not collecting interest on my money, I was because the money was still in my interest (allbeit very small interest) bearing checking account.

Well, good luck getting your MDX quickly, fairly, and hassle free. I guess location is the biggest factor in determining how much you pay and how long you wait. I did drive 3.5 hours to get my MDX, but it was well worth it to save over $1100 and be treated fairly.

Eric

·
Registered
143 Posts
DaleB said:
Why take a check to just hold it, I guess that's my point. Your name on a list, that should be enough.
JMHO.....just as there are plenty of dealers that play the game well, there are just as many potential buyers out there doing the same. So, you end up with someone putting thier name on lists all over the place. That individual is displacing everyone else that's waiting as well. I support the idea of non-refundable deposits. If the dealer doesn't cash the check, that's a bonus.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
charlieinnj said:

I support the idea of non-refundable deposits. If the dealer doesn't cash the check, that's a bonus.
I hope that's a typo. I think you mean refundable. A broker does not charge anything until you agree he found the car you want. Of course, his fee is not applied to the purchase.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
charlieinnj said:

So, you end up with someone putting thier name on lists all over the place. That individual is displacing everyone else that's waiting as well.
So? if the checks never get cashed he might as well be handing out bits of paper.
He can still displace people who are more serious buyers. What's the difference?

·
Registered
143 Posts
DaleB said:

So? if the checks never get cashed he might as well be handing out bits of paper.
He can still displace people who are more serious buyers. What's the difference?
DaleB~
If I were an ethical Acura dealer (they do exist....) and I required the same deposit from everyone (regardless of whether I cashed the check or not...), there's no such thing as a "more serious buyer".

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So much for this subject! It's all academic at this point, now I need to call my dealer and get my deposit back! (yes he did cash it, and he's considered an ethical dealer)...
My broker just found a GG Tour+Nav in south. Cal.!!! ready to go!!
see ya!! Will report back, maybe flying down to drive it back!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Dale,

I had my MDX on order, but was still looking to see one again to decide on what accessories to put on. I got a call from 2 dealers that had one just come in. The first one I went to was sold by the time I got there (30 minute drive). The second one was not, but I wanted to test drive it again, and it was sold when I got back. That was ok, since mine came in the next day. One dealer told me that a person had come down from Santa Barbara just to get an MDX due in that day. I didnt have the heart to try to beat him there, expecially mine was on order and due in a couple of weeks at that time.

I had called just about every Acura dealer in Southern Cal. I had a crib sheet with notes on each one of them (about 10). Which ones were the rip off places (forced options up to $2k), which ones required down payments, which ones only sold them as they came in (with some accessories installed), etc. I dont know if I still have this list, but I remember my dealer (Metro Acura), Pasadena, Costa Mesa I think were ones that were MSRP. Cerritos requied a deposit, but was also MSRP, and also gets in sometimes and sell on the spot. But you do have to act fast for the dealers that sell them as they come in.

If you would really fly down to Southern Cal to pick up an MDX, let me know what your choices are and I can call a few dealers here on Friday and see what they are quoting. Sometimes you have to be at the right place at the right time.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I appreciate the offer! I am not going anywhere right now, but yes would make the trip for sure thing.
If you did call I am not sure they would tell you outright, if they had a car, would not most have a waiting list?

I am sending you my home & cell phone numbers you or a dealer can call me collect should you stumble on something.
Thanks again, I like keeping my options open.

·
Registered
619 Posts
dale

If you are that serious, then u must check out the acura dealers in Tx. I'm pretty sure u could find a new MDX on the lot at one of the Dallas or Houston dealers.

sure would make for a long drive back though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
DaleB:

At this rate, you may want to take over my screen name.....

I will never be able to explain to someone who is not in the market for a MDX, that we are just a bunch of obsessed nuts over a car.

I feel bad about your false alarm. But hey, this forum has been my best support in my long wait for the car. Just hang on, there will be a MDX out there with your name on it.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup, it's got my name on it all right! My wife and I fly down to Ontario, Calif. at the end of the month.
We will be picked up by a rep. from Import Warehouse of the Desert. (Like the name?)
Play around Palm Springs a day or so (93F today!!)
We will drive home in a GG Tour/Nav.
When I called my broker I could hear his jaw hit the floor. He asked me if I got MSRP, I said yup! No problem there.
Last night I sent out about 7 emails and got 5 responses, most quite positive. I actually could have clinched a black one (not my choice color) in Sacramento tonight. MSRP.
You are all to blame for getting me hyped up on this forum! My advise, when you encounter resistance in a 'tight' area like Northern Calif (not that I'm bitter). hit the phones and hit the emails and be ready to pack an overnighter. You can be your own broker and save money too!
Thanks to ifeldman who encouraged me and started calling dealers from his location in south. Cal. It's a done deal!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Acura they are amazing

Here we have an individual ready to spend $35,000 dollars and they cannot deliver a SUV to him? Acura has got to there act together, and increase the supply. It's crazy when you think about it. Hang in there one will come thru. My 2002 took 2 months to wait in 2001 the finally get dec. 2001. ????????:(

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Congratulations

Best of Luck and post pic's when you get. Drive carefully!!!:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
DaleB:

Cheering for you here! Congrats. Have fun picking up the car. Definately put that Navigation to the test.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Dale,

Congratulations again.

Now, you need to get your Zaino on order, so you will have it in time to shine your new MDX. Just make sure you have a stable step stool when you dry the roof rack.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts