Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Be sure to get at root cause. Don't waste any more money.
Miles, I agree, but not sure what else I can do. From my POV the root cause is either the tire or the wheel. I guess a third cause could be that the MDX itself is causing it somehow but that gets thrown out because I did not have this issue when the temp was warmer.

I dk, I do a lot of research but I'm not a mechanic and the techs have so far said they dk as well. But they'd be happy to keep looking and keep charging.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Miles, I agree, but not sure what else I can do. From my POV the root cause is either the tire or the wheel. I guess a third cause could be that the MDX itself is causing it somehow but that gets thrown out because I did not have this issue when the temp was warmer.

I dk, I do a lot of research but I'm not a mechanic and the techs have so far said they dk as well. But they'd be happy to keep looking and keep charging.
My thinking was the test in that PM article.

Where did you take it for the new tire?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've had good luck with my local Discount Tire … and they have very reasonable pricing.

Sounds like the wheel needs to be put into a dunk tank to find the leak. That's how my hairline crack was discovered.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just a hunch here, but my $0.02.

Are you taking the wheel/tire to the same place each time? What type of wheel weights are they using? If using the standard clip on rim weights, make sure the profile of the clip matches the profile of the wheel. Some are designed with longer clips and may be causing the leak as they hammer on the weights. Just a thought

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Are you taking the wheel/tire to the same place each time? What type of wheel weights are they using? If using the standard clip on rim weights, make sure the profile of the clip matches the profile of the wheel. Some are designed with longer clips and may be causing the leak as they hammer on the weights. Just a thought
Wheel weights? I don't even know what these are - or, rather, I didn't. Did my research, ok, they are weights put inside the rim to balance the wheel. I seriously doubt they did that but I have no idea how standard it is. They didn't say anything to me about it. BTW - it's been about 15-20* warmer the last few days and no tire problems...

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Wheel weights? I don't even know what these are - or, rather, I didn't. Did my research, ok, they are weights put inside the rim to balance the wheel.
Wheels are balanced by putting weights on the wheels, to offset whatever imbalance exists in the wheel/tire. There are two types of weights. One type (the clip-on type edmmdx is referring to) is clamped onto the edge (lip) of the wheel, between the tire edge (bead) and the wheel, as shown in the first photo below. The other type consists of squares with adhesive backing, that are placed on the inside of the rim barrel, as shown in the second photo below.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Seriously, check for cracks. My theory is that when the weather gets really cold, the rims contract, thereby spreading out the crack and causing big drops in air pressure. When it's warm, the wheels expand, tightening the crack and reducing loss of pressure. I'm going through the same thing with my BMW and I know the wheel is cracked.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts