Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should be fun tomorrow. Mario and the boys will bring that medal where it belongs. Wonder if the US boys will be putting our flag on their dressing room floor like their women did??? Wonder, also, what kind of tantrum Chelios et al will throw when they lose (remember the dorm trashing at Nagano???)?

Will save the gloating until after the game....

·
Registered
43 Posts
pierre:

Just wondered what it takes to be an Ultimate Hab Fan!!! My NC licence plate is a vanity tag... guess what it says... you guessed it! "HAB FAN". Can you top that?

PS: gotta agree with you on the whole Canada winning the gold thing!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great Game

Hey hockey fans....Great game and super outcome. Lets hear it for Canada!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MDXLuvr said:
what's a HAB?
The crest on the Montreal Canadiens' sweater (we don't call it a jersey...) is an "H" in the middle of a stylized "C". It stands for "Club de Hockey Canadien", founded in 1910. (See FengMD's avatar).

From the team's web site (http://www.canadiens.com): "Legend has it that the "H" on the Canadiens logo stands for "Habs" instead of "Hockey" as in Club de Hockey Canadien. In 1924, Madison Square Garden owner Tex Rickard was falsely told by someone that the "H" stood for "habitant", a French word that in those days was used to denote the farmers of Quebec.

Rickard was told that the French players on the team came from the farms and that they were therefore "habitants" or "Habs". At the time, the Canadiens were considered Montreal's "French" team, as opposed to the primairly "English"
Montreal Maroons."

The name stuck.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FengMD said:
pierre:

Just wondered what it takes to be an Ultimate Hab Fan!!! My NC licence plate is a vanity tag... guess what it says... you guessed it! "HAB FAN". Can you top that?

PS: gotta agree with you on the whole Canada winning the gold thing!
A HAB fan is behind the team win or tie. An Ultimate HAB fan is behind the team win, tie or lose!!!

Can't believe we've got a HAB fan all the way down in NC. I'm sure not many people know what your vanity plate means, unless they're transplanted Canadians. Get a lot of enquiries? Way to go!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Great Game

mdxpursuit said:
Hey hockey fans....Great game and super outcome. Lets hear it for Canada!
Now the whole world knows and must acknowledge what we Canadians all knew: we're the best in the world!!!!!!!!!! This is huge.....Even saw some Canadian flags in sports bars in Montreal on the French-language CBC! This will do more to Canadian nationalism and unity than any defeated referendum can!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Congrats to Canada. I definitely was rooting for USA but seeing Canada get the gold (especially Yzerman and Shanahan) was gratifying. The WORST PART was having to watch Gretzky celebrate on CBC - his press conference performance last week was one of the worst I have witnessed in a long time. Devoid of any class, continual whining, etc. (I know, many will argue it was simply a motivating technique - I don't buy it). This has permanently tainted my view of Gretzky and emphasizes that while Gretzky may be the great one, Mr. Hockey will always be Gordie. Fortunately, the Canadian players handled themselves with class throughout. What is Canada's view on the Gretzky press conference??

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gretz's rant is getting mixed reviews in the media. Some say it's not the "Canadian" way, others say it's about time we made some noise at that level. Know what? We don't care!!!!!! We won. Period. The universe is unfolding as it should.....

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I would have to vote for the "it's not the Canadian way" view. My very favorable view of Canadians has always been hard-working, very humble, no whining individuals. Let's face it, we have Canada to thank for great individuals such as Shanny and Stevie (and Sakic, Macinnis, etc.) all of whom appear to fit that mold. I think all of the players handled the criticism and then the celebration with a great deal of class. Again, congrats to Canada on a great game. As a sidenote, I do think the talent level of USA hockey is higher than it has ever been - they just need a few more skillful and bruising defensemen (or defencemen) and maybe a bit more depth in goal to compete quite well with Canada. OK, back to the NHL - GO WINGS!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
A2MDXer
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing