Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 MDX, bought it used with 19k miles and am at 92k miles now. In the next 18 months I'll need to do the timing belt, water pump and probably tires and brakes, I'm guessing about $3k in expenses. Overall the car has been pretty trouble free and reliable.

There is a 2014 MDX with 38k miles that I could probably get for about $10-$12K with a trade in for my 2009. It gets better gas mileage, has a newer engine and may be a nice upgrade.

Before I continue putting more money in my 2009 would it be better off for me to consider trading in for the 2014? The 2009 was the third year of the 2nd generation and most kinks were worked out, however the 2014 is the first year of the 3rd generation and I've read about some people having issues. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My 2014 Tech SHAWD has been fine in the 3+ years of ownership. No major issues but there were some minor that were taken care of by the TSBs. Search for the 2014 TSB thread and you'll see the minor issues I'm talking about. Take note that not all of these issues exist in every 2014 MDX. The 3rd gen MDX has a really quiet cabin and with that you would hear everything.

Just check the car carefully and ask for an extended test drive to see if there's something unusual. You also might want to have the dealer perform the TSBs as part of your negotiation.

Mine has been really nice. But if you can find a 2015, much better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
391 Posts
Definitely play with the infotainment system, that could be a deal breaker for someone.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Some kinks had been sorted out in the 2015. The Navigation is a little bit better. No difference in styling or performance. It's just that the 2015 is better built because of the feedback they got from the 2014 owners.
According to what's been posted in this forum almost all of the 'kinks' that were in 'some' 2014s were also present in the 2015 and some were also in the 2016 as well. This goes for the body panel alignment, rear end thumps/clunks, noisy fuel pump, and anything else people complained about. There was a software update for the infotainment for the 2015 Acura refused to allow on the 2014 but it's not major enough to pay extra money for. The other issues tended to be resolved by TSBs so the 2014 shouldn't be a problem. Any prospective buyer of any 3rd gen MDX should check the body panel alignment to make sure it's acceptable. Note that my early 2014 didn't have any of the noises, etc. and has been a great vehicle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the VIN on Acura's website for recalls and it said there were none, is there a way to see if the TSBs have been taken care of?

·
Registered
23 Posts
We just went from a 2010 to a 2014. happy so far....seems to run nice but I do miss the growl of the dual exhaust on the 2010...

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I checked the VIN on Acura's website for recalls and it said there were none, is there a way to see if the TSBs have been taken care of?
If you're buying it at a dealership it seems they could check the service records on it that were done by any Acura service and see which TSBs were done but I don't know for certain if they have that capability or not. TSBs aren't done automatically - normally a particular vehicle needs to exhibit the problem being resolved in the TSB and not all do for all of the TSBs.

The infotainment version can be seen on the display to see if it'sat the latest supported version for it.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
You are very close to Acura introducing an all new MDX in a 2-3 years. Your current 09 MDX will still be rock solid and you will have the 10-13 MDX, 14-15 MDX w/ 6AT, 16 MDX w/ 9AT, 17-19 MDX with new styling, and all new+20 MDX to pick from as a replacement. I have a little under 90,000 miles on my 11 MDX and planning to wait a minimum 2-3 years before replacing her. Even at $3000 worth of service due is only $250 per month for 12 months compared to a payment (or $7000-$10,000 less in the bank).

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Even at $3000 worth of service due is only $250 per month for 12 months compared to a payment (or the $7000-$10,000 less in the bank).
From a purely economic perspective it's almost always cheaper to keep the older vehicle and just fix what's needed to be fixed versus buying a new vehicle. This is true but to a lesser extent with a newer used vehicle. As mrgold35 illustrated, the math is in the favor of keeping the 09 much longer. You can do the math yourself and bounce the service costs against what a newer car payment or equivalent would be and you'll find that the servicing almost always wins.

Other factors, however, come into play including the hassle factor of a vehicle breaking down (which any vehicle, even a new one, can do), the simple desire for something newer with newer features, the safety tech of some of the newer vehicles, etc.

With today's vehicles 92K miles isn't usually considered to be a vehicle that's at the end of its life. It's more like at the halfway or so point. I have a 1998 Durango that's at 235K and still works with the original engine and tranny. It's required some maintenance, most of which I do myself and thus isn't expensive, but nothing major.

Going to a 2014/2015 or so though, is a smart economic move versus a brand new 2017 one since you will have already saved a bunch due to the heavy depreciation curve at the front end.

A decision like this about whether the newer vehicle in lieu of your older vehicle is 'worth it' comes down to more than just economics - you need to weigh what works best for you given your budget and your desires.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are really too many unknowns to really give informed advice. However, if you like the '14 and you can really do the trade for $10K out of pocket it would be hard for me not to take that deal (assuming the trim levels are at least equal).

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Is the 2014 MDX fwd/sh-awd and base/tech/adv?

The deal starts to get a little more enticing if the 14 MDX is sh-awd AND tech or Adv model. I would also check out similar +14 MDXs in a few hours drive to see color combo, accessories, tech level, and prices. You might find a 15 MDX within the same ball park and get an extra year of TSB fixes and longer basic warranty. I ended up expanding my search up to 8hr drive and found my current 11 MDX Adv/Ent at a Honda dealership in Colorado for the same price as a 11 MDX tech at my local Acura dealership in ABQ, NM (plus, the Honda dealership had the color combo I wanted also).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I think at this point I'll hold off unless I see a great deal on a 2015. My MDX has been very reliable so I know I won't lose should I decide to keep it a few more years but should a great deal come along it would be nice to get a 2015.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts